VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is ffmpeg prores the same as the prores you get with fc pro or is it a reverse engineered version of prores?

if it is reverse engineered how does it compare with the original prores?

thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. No, it is reverse engineered.

2. ProRes is a family of codecs covering different bitdepths, colorspaces, etc. The one in ffmpeg only covers a small subset of those possible.

3. For that small subset, it is of equivalent quality, if slightly less efficient. However, for apps explicitly expecting the real Apple codec, it often is incompatible. Likely, there is some signature or checksum or something missing.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 16th Nov 2021 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. However, for apps explicitly expecting the real Apple codec, it often is incompatible.
    Since I haven't encountered that problem so far: which program complained about the ProRes file created by ffmpeg?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For a start, all Apple apps. No surprise there, really. Not sure about Adobe stuff either.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    1. No, it is reverse engineered.

2. ProRes is a family of codecs covering different bitdepths, colorspaces, etc. The one in ffmpeg only covers a small subset of those possible.

3. For that small subset, it is of equivalent quality, if slightly less efficient. However, for apps explicitly expecting the real Apple codec, it often is incompatible. Likely, there is some signature or checksum or something missing.

Scott
    thank you Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. @Cornucopia: Last I read about it at least Final Cut Pro X should import ProRes .mov files created by ffmpeg without a problem, iirc only older final cut had problems.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote