VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi...

I need to access this ftp site:

Code:
    FTP2.rai.it
    with a specific Username and Password. Is it possible it using firefox?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Though I thought browsers could work as clients with ftp sites, using the "ftp://..." URL format, apparently this has changed since I last tried it. Currently using Win10 21H1 here, and when doing it this way the app/OS asks for an appropriate client (of which Google, FF, Edge don't work with it even though offered). Searching on the web it looks like Google deprecated it and FF might still work but with a plugin.

Probably much easier to use a true FTP/SFTP client, such as Filezilla, WinSCP, CyberDuck, etc. IIRC, though this may also have changed, I believe Windows itself can also be an ftp client in command line mode.

Spero che ti aiuta.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15th Nov 2021 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nope. You can use filezilla tho
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently ftp support is removed from all main browsers, so no you have to use a ftp client software like others mentioned already

You can however use an older version of Firefox that still has ftp support but that route is not recommend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try basic access from the CMD line, but anonymous access doesn't seem enabled - probably need a valid logon
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Both Waterfox and Seamonkey (still?) support the File Transfer Protocol.

P.S.: Internet Explorer 11 too.

Google Chrome and Firefox have always sucked and will keep sucking forever.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 15th Nov 2021 at 17:24. Reason: update
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Usually when i need access to resources that the browser does not support, my workaround these days is to develop some local tool which runs e.g. as task tray application (or windows service, daemon etc...)
    The browser then communicates to this tool via CORS requests, e.g. http://127.0.0.1:2100/ in REST API style and the tool takes over all the work that the browser cannot do.
    It is a huge overhead tough, i guess for FTP it wouldn't make too much sense given the number of available tools that one can use for free.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As others have mentioned, Firefox dropped support for ftp recently.

The proper format to pass user and pw in the url is:
    Code:
    ftp://user:password@host:port/path
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    As others have mentioned, Firefox dropped support for ftp recently.

The proper format to pass user and pw in the url is:
    Code:
    does this still work ?? - https://www.mccdaq.com/pdfs/Enabling_Access_to_FTP_Sites.pdf
    tried with firefox which doesn't work so not sure on the rest.

some say palemoon & seamonkey browsers still has ftp support - https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/13242/browsers-drop-ftp-support-i-got-bushwhacked
    Last edited by october262; 18th Nov 2021 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Some browser may get ftp access trough addon - i use FireFTP.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Also, this is a serious topic, obviously

[Attachment 61884 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    Are you trying to use a web browser inside the Visual Studio package, or something similar... or just using the desktop browser?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by RogerTango View Post
    [CODE]
    Are you trying to use a web browser inside the Visual Studio package, or something similar...
    I am curious about what would be your solution for using ftp inside an embedded browser as i was under the impression that embeeded browsers underly mostly the same restrictions as normal browsers do...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by emcodem View Post
    Originally Posted by RogerTango View Post
    [CODE]
    Are you trying to use a web browser inside the Visual Studio package, or something similar...
    I am curious about what would be your solution for using ftp inside an embedded browser as i was under the impression that embeeded browsers underly mostly the same restrictions as normal browsers do...
    Im thinking the same thing, thats why I was asking. Not sure how you would redirect the output of the embedded browser after making an ftp connection; if it even supported an ftp connection.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well as mr. @marcorocchini didn't reply at all, i guess we will never know what he wanted to do.
    Maybe his is a programmer and was looking for managing ftp sites through javascript in the browser, or maybe he was just a user who was not aware of the existence of filezilla, who knows
    Quote Quote