VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm attempting to record some footage off some old Sony"Video8" 8mm tapes. I have approx 20 old tapes.

I no longer have the original Sony camera that these were recorded on (cant recall exact model, looks very similar to Sony CCDTRV108). I have borrowed a Sharp VL-E40X from someone.

I attempted to rewind a tape to the beginning and play, and playback was at 2x speed with horizontal lines. This happened again with another tape.

However I grabbed a third tape and played from where the tape was up to, playback is fine.

Is this indicative of the tapes being damaged from nearly 20 years in storage? Any advice? I'm hoping the two I rewound to beginning aren't now permanently damaged.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Check the pinch roller of the camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pakol View Post
    I no longer have the original Sony camera that these were recorded on (cant recall exact model, looks very similar to Sony CCDTRV108). I have borrowed a Sharp VL-E40X from someone.
    Can't find the manual for Sharp VL-E40X with a quick search, but the Specifications page for VL-E40S only lists Recording/Playback Time as 90 minutes whereas a Sony manual gives times for SP & LP modes. Perhaps the tapes were recorded in LP while the Sharp can only play & record SP.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Brad;2637218]
    Originally Posted by pakol View Post
    . Perhaps the tapes were recorded in LP while the Sharp can only play & record SP.
    Thank you. I think this might be it. I guess I'll have to get my hands on something that does LP playback as a test.
    Quote Quote