VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I used the disks that came with the usb capture cards and both show either a generic blue screen in Virtualdub or a black screen. I have tried connecting to my video player directly nothing works. Is there a way to fix this issue? This is extremely frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We better get back to basics and ensure that your device drivers are properly installed.

So what does Device manager report under Sound, Video and Game Controllers ? Do you see the actual device or some generic name that Windows has created ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And with Win10 do ensure that you are using the latest drivers for your device. The ones on the CDs might have been broken by Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    We better get back to basics and ensure that your device drivers are properly installed.

So what does Device manager report under Sound, Video and Game Controllers ? Do you see the actual device or some generic name that Windows has created ?
    [Attachment 61733 - Click to enlarge]
    Here is a screenshot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    And with Win10 do ensure that you are using the latest drivers for your device. The ones on the CDs might have been broken by Windows.
    The drivers on their website seem exactly the same as the one on the disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But a driver dated 2010 does not appear to be 'up to date'. I use Win7 and my Hauppauge driver is dated 2018. Long after Win7 was laid out to grass.

But let's now move on to virtualdub and what do you see from the Device menu ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just as a sidenote from my Hauppauge USB live2/Windows 10 experience:
    In order to have the driver working under VirtualDub or AmarecTV I had to run Hauppauge's native capture Software (which includes an mpeg2 encoder) just once. It seems that something got initialized (in the registry or whatever) which eventually made Vdub and AmarecTV to recognize the device driver.
    Maybe there is something similar going on with the VC500 or GV-USB2.
    Quote Quote  
  8. One problem with Win10 (and I assume 11) is that the O/S often blocks access to video capture devices, treating them like cameras. You have to give apps access to cameras in the Privacy Settings.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Nov 2021 at 12:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    One problem with Win10 (and I assume 11) is that the O/S often blocks access to video capture devices, treating them like cameras. You have to give apps access to cameras in the Privacy Settings.
    If that was the case then I wouldn't get a blue screen at all. The device wouldn't even be recognised.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Just as a sidenote from my Hauppauge USB live2/Windows 10 experience:
    In order to have the driver working under VirtualDub or AmarecTV I had to run Hauppauge's native capture Software (which includes an mpeg2 encoder) just once. It seems that something got initialized (in the registry or whatever) which eventually made Vdub and AmarecTV to recognize the device driver.
    Did this. Still not working
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Ok. But a driver dated 2010 does not appear to be 'up to date'. I use Win7 and my Hauppauge driver is dated 2018. Long after Win7 was laid out to grass.

But let's now move on to virtualdub and what do you see from the Device menu ?
    I installed the driver from the site and it was the same version as the one on the disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigbadben View Post
    One problem with Win10 (and I assume 11) is that the O/S often blocks access to video capture devices, treating them like cameras. You have to give apps access to cameras in the Privacy Settings.
    If that was the case then I wouldn't get a blue screen at all. The device wouldn't even be recognised.

Blue screen usually means no signal. Not exactly the same as no device recognised.

I do not think you answered the Q. about what you actually see under 'Device' in virtualdub

Do not discount this out of hand. I have read this before and it solved that user's issue.

Does no harm to actually check the privacy settings.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM

Blue screen usually means no signal. Not exactly the same as no device recognised.

I do not think you answered the Q. about what you actually see under 'Device' in virtualdub

Do not discount this out of hand. I have read this before and it solved that user's issue.

I checked the privacy page and all apps are enabled and the option to enable the camera is enabled. Image
    [Attachment 61747 - Click to enlarge]
    I went through all of the devices and none of them provide any signal. I also disabled Windows Firewall, added Virtualdub's folder to the exclusion for Virus and Threat Protection, disabled real time protection and exited my anti-virus. Also ran a Windows Update. No signal. I am directly connected to my video player as well.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot2.png
Views:	32
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	61746  

Last edited by bigbadben; 12th Nov 2021 at 03:56.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

I checked the privacy page and all apps are enabled and the option to enable the camera is enabled. Image
    I went through all of the devices and none of them provide any signal. I also disabled Windows Firewall, added Virtualdub's folder to the exclusion for Virus and Threat Protection, disabled real time protection and exited my anti-virus. Also ran a Windows Update. No signal. I am directly connected to my video player as well.
    for the Diamond VC500, do you have it region set for ntsc_m ?? - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392711-Diamond-VC500-blank-screen post #8
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

for the Diamond VC500, do you have it region set for ntsc_m ?? - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392711-Diamond-VC500-blank-screen post #8
    When it was still working it was on PAL. But it died and only a corrupted video signal comes from it for 1 second then disappears.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

When it was still working it was on PAL. But it died and only a corrupted video signal comes from it for 1 second then disappears.
    might try reading the "how do i install the software on windows 10" - https://www.diamondmm.com/faqs-video-capture/
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM

might try reading the "how do i install the software on windows 10" - https://www.diamondmm.com/faqs-video-capture/
    Already did that. I have a degree in IT so I know these things. Sadly that isn't enough to get these devices to work as they are clearly only cash grabs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well according to your Device screen under virtualdub the device is expecting a NTSC signal. (Don't need a degree in IT to appreciate that - look at bottom right of screen )

Now check the 'Capture Filter' settings.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sadly that isn't enough to get these devices to work as they are clearly only cash grabs.
    I can't vouch for the VC, but I can assure you the GV-USB2 is absolutely bullet-proof with Win 10 21H1 here.

Composite/S-Video set correctly?

I'd suggest uninstalling it and re-installing it using this page.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by bigbadben View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Just as a sidenote from my Hauppauge USB live2/Windows 10 experience:
    Did this. Still not working
    I had to select in Vdub the
    0 Microsoft WDM image capture (Win32) (WFW)
    rather than the device's driver. Otherwise I got a black (rather than your blue) picture ......
    Did you try this as well?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    The advice earlier about setting NTSC-M is incorrect since you're using an Australian VCR. As DB83 alluded to, set to PAL. The bottom right in VDub should read 25 fps, not 29.97 as it does in the screenshots.

When testing with the VCR, make sure you have a tape playing. The internally-generated menus & "blue back" of most VCRs is a non-standard signal that many capture devices, including the VC500, can't recognize.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    The advice earlier about setting NTSC-M is incorrect since you're using an Australian VCR. As DB83 alluded to, set to PAL. The bottom right in VDub should read 25 fps, not 29.97 as it does in the screenshots.

When testing with the VCR, make sure you have a tape playing. The internally-generated menus & "blue back" of most VCRs is a non-standard signal that many capture devices, including the VC500, can't recognize.
    So I set it to PAL_B in Virtualdub2 by going to Video --> Capture Filter --> Video Decoder --> Video. It works now and I get video. It's also in S-Video. Both PAL_B and PAL_G work. I also get passthrough from the video player to the DVD player. Virtualdub 1.9.11 on the other hand shows just a blank window. Image
    [Attachment 61793 - Click to enlarge]

The picture is cut at the bottom as visible in the screenshot. How can I fix this?

[Attachment 61792 - Click to enlarge]

This is with the IO-DATA. I haven't gotten around to testing the Diamond VC500 yet.
    Last edited by bigbadben; 14th Nov 2021 at 00:57.
    Quote Quote  
  23. PAL should be captured at 720x576, 25 fps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There should be no visual difference between vdub2 and vdub. So check all settings including Capture Pin.

That screen has not been generated by a vcr. The real test is live video.
    Quote Quote