VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

You can say "I told you so" I deserve it, but I didn’t know Win 10 isn’t ideal for capture until it was way too late. I’m tired of not being able to cap with VirtualDub after every update. Even when I re-download older versions I still can’t capture. The only trick that works is restoring to a different date. But I’d imagine eventually that won’t work.

I’m thinking since I have a reasonably beefy Win 10 pc with all the desired hardware and software, should I just use it as a standalone capture device never connecting online, therefore no updates?

Is there a small unit, possibly a Raspberry Pie that I can use for internet-only yet share my current keyboard, mouse, monitors, has audio capability? I’m limited on desk space so I can’t have two towers.

Thanks for any suggestions, ideas etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An old used laptop, I use a refurb with W7 “embedded “ in the hard drive.
    Dirt cheap, leave offline, use the tower for editing, never look back.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. Can I connect an external mouse & keyboard to a laptop? If I buy a W7 laptop I won't be able to go online. Did you mean buy a cheap Win 10 laptop and use that for internet and save the tower for capture?

I forgot to mention I had a dual-boot with my Win7 years ago, but kept having problems with my external soundcard (Focusrite Scarlett) so I had to do away with the dual boot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I leave my 15” Lenovo refurb offline.
    It has W7 forever protected on the hard drive.
    All I do is a factory reset, it installs 7, then I use a thumb drive to do my updates and install needed programs.
    A mouse works fine, I don’t know about a keyboard.
    The laptop is used solely for capture.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Hello,

You can say "I told you so" I deserve it, but I didn’t know Win 10 isn’t ideal for capture until it was way too late. I’m tired of not being able to cap with VirtualDub after every update. Even when I re-download older versions I still can’t capture. The only trick that works is restoring to a different date. But I’d imagine eventually that won’t work.

I’m thinking since I have a reasonably beefy Win 10 pc with all the desired hardware and software, should I just use it as a standalone capture device never connecting online, therefore no updates?

Is there a small unit, possibly a Raspberry Pie that I can use for internet-only yet share my current keyboard, mouse, monitors, has audio capability? I’m limited on desk space so I can’t have two towers.

Thanks for any suggestions, ideas etc.
    Perhaps VirtualDub2 will work better with Windows 10 than the original. Have you tried it?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have VirtualDub 2 64 & 32 bit and an old version of VirtualDub (1.9.11) and none worked after the latest update, until I did a restore.

Even though Win10 is crap for capturing I had good luck for a few years until these recent updates. I just want a small unit for internet, but would like to share my keyboard, monitors, etc with my current tower if I use that for standalone capture.
    Last edited by clashradio; 11th Nov 2021 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Beware that it's not easy to install Win 7 on modern hardware. You'll need a special install like this:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384921-Windows-7-Image-Updater-SkyLake-KabyLake-Co...n-Threadripper

For USB capture devices you could use a BeeBox or an Intel NUC:

https://www.asrock.com/microsite/Beebox/
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/nuc.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo for your suggestion.

I just got back from a computer repair shop to see what if they had anything neat for sale. I ran across a Dell OptiPlex 7050. It's a little bit bigger than a HDD which would be perfect. I guess these are mainly for businesses like hospitals etc, but as far as physical space goes it's prefect. I'll get a hub to share my accessories and use this for internet-only and keep the Win 10 OS computer for capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have VirtualDub 2 64 & 32 bit and an old version of VirtualDub and non worked after the latest update, until I did a restore.
    I recommend you use V Dub 1.9.11 for capturing. I'm on Win 10 21H1.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Alwyn. Yes I did download 1.9.11. A few months ago I posted a similar thread about Win 10 updates, and the loss of V Dub for capture and you recommended this version of V Dub. After the latest update, even deleting and re-installing did not do the trick. I had to restore to an earlier date. But it took me hours to finally come to the realization of restoring. I've had enough of Win 10's updates.

My Win version is 21H1 as well. I don't understand how re-installing 1.9.11 still wouldn't allow me to capture.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10.
    If it hurts when you do that, stop doing that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi!

Have you tried to use VLC to capture ?

It works but you certainly need to try. First try to tet your capture device with VLC to see if your equipement works.

If it works with VLC then it should work with any other software. You can also try AMAREC or the software provided with your capture device.

As for Virtualdub, try with a portable version to see if this can fix something. May be there is something inside the Regedit that must be removed. please be very carefull with that!

May be you shoud delete some of the register keys related to Virtualdub in Regedit, but please be very carefull with what you do. Only do it if you know what you are doing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 and 11 both capture fine for me. It all depends on your capture device and capture software, I use OBS to do my captures. I'm primarily capturing via a HDMI to USB 3.1 adaptor connected to a ROKU 3, 1920 x 1080 P, works perfectly. I don't capture analog anything anymore.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Hunk91: No I haven't tried VLC to capture. I thought that program only played files. Does it have the option for lossless video and audio capture? I took Alwyn's suggestion and downloaded version 1.9.11, but again I can't capture after Windows 10 updates. I just turned off the update option in Service.msc and plan on buying a different pc just for internet, and using the current tower pc for capturing-only. If I delete the wrong register keys related to VirtudalDub, I can always re-install correct?

@sum_guy: my capture card is Osprey 827e. I use VirtualDub for capture because the program that comes with the card only allows for lossy caps. All I capture is analog. For editing from dvd/BD I use FAB to rip then import the files in Vegas for editing.

Anyone know why even when I re-install VirtualDub I still can't capture? Only trick that words is restoring to an older date.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    @Hunk91: No I haven't tried VLC to capture. I thought that program only played files. Does it have the option for lossless video and audio capture? I took Alwyn's suggestion and downloaded version 1.9.11, but again I can't capture after Windows 10 updates. I just turned off the update option in Service.msc and plan on buying a different pc just for internet, and using the current tower pc for capturing-only. If I delete the wrong register keys related to VirtudalDub, I can always re-install correct?

@sum_guy: my capture card is Osprey 827e. I use VirtualDub for capture because the program that comes with the card only allows for lossy caps. All I capture is analog. For editing from dvd/BD I use FAB to rip then import the files in Vegas for editing.

Anyone know why even when I re-install VirtualDub I still can't capture? Only trick that words is restoring to an older date.
    VLC can capture (I tried it a long time ago) but I don't remember if it allows using something other than its own codecs. It uses DirectShow "pin numbers" to select input connections, Graph Studio is another option that I know allows lossless capture using DirectShow but it isn't easy to figure out what to do on your own and it often requires a lot of trial and error to get a working filter graph.

I don't know if it applies to your situation but jagabo wrote in another thread that Windows 10 sometimes blocks access to capture devices as if they were cameras. It is necessary to give apps access to cameras in the Privacy Settings to fix the problem.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Nov 2021 at 17:37.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks usually_quiet. I did try to use AmarecTV a few months ago when I lost the ability to capture with VirtualDub. I couldn't figure it out so if Graph Studio isn't any easier, I probably won't be able to use that either. Luckily a system restore allowed me to capture again.

I'll check into the possibility of Privacy Settings in the camera app.
    Quote Quote