VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    The problem I'm running into is in actually downloading an 8k video. Yes, I can play them on Youtube but they are downsampled, if I try to download them they are downsampled.
    Use youtube-dl or yt-dlp:
    Code:
    yt-dlp -f 702+251 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtBDJn1Lqg
    That will get you a 675 MB MKV file with 7680x4320 29.97 fps AV1 video and Opus audio.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Jagabo for the insight to download it!

Mediainfo reports it as 8K resolution, I'm on Windows 11 and used the stock microsoft video player with the free VC1 Codec. I am able to play it. Is it downsampled on my display? I'm certain it is as my display is 1920x1080 on this display but, it plays.

I cut the file down to roughly 160 mb, I realize most of you don't have the bandwidth for that but, here is a link to it VH

https://files.videohelp.com/u/84671/Shot%20on%20Nikon%20Z9__65372_%208K%20HDR%20_eTtBD..._.f702.mp4.mkv

I was able to cut the actual file size down to a more manageable sample size. Here is the mediainfo:
    General
    Complete name : Shot on Nikon Z9| 8K HDR General
    Complete name : Shot on Nikon Z9| 8K HDR [eTtBDJn1Lqg].f702.mp4.mkv

Format : dash
    Codec ID : dash (iso6/av01/mp41)
    File size : 141 MiB
    Duration : 26 s 226 ms
    Overall bit rate : 45.2 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2021-10-28 22:21:15
    Tagged date : UTC 2021-10-28 22:21:15
    IsTruncated : Yes

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AV1
    Format/Info : AOMedia Video 1
    Format profile : Main@L6.0
    HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : av01
    Duration : 26 s 226 ms
    Bit rate : 51.4 Mb/s
    Width : 7 680 pixels
    Height : 4 320 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.052
    Stream size : 161 MiB
    Title : ISO Media file
    Encoded date : UTC 2021-10-28 22:21:15
    Tagged date : UTC 2021-10-28 22:21:15
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : HLG
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
    Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
    Codec configuration box : av1C
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used FireDM to download this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtBDJn1Lqg as an mp4. I tried playing it on my HTPC using a Comet Lake i5 10400 processor with Intel UHD 630 graphics and 16GB RAM. The TV is an old 720p model so the video was downscaled. I used the Window 10 Movies and TV App with the free AV1 Codec. The file did play but not at all well. The video froze and I only saw a couple of scenes. I think my new Tiger Lake laptop which supports AV1 decoding via QSV will do better but I won't have it until after Christmas.

General
    Complete name : C:\Shot on Nikon Z9| 8K HDR.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/mp41)
    File size : 659 MiB
    Duration : 2 min 7 s
    Overall bit rate : 43.4 Mb/s
    Writing application : Lavf58.35.104

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AV1
    Format/Info : AOMedia Video 1
    Format profile : Main@L6.0
    Codec ID : av01
    Bit rate : 43.3 Mb/s
    Width : 7 680 pixels
    Height : 4 320 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.044
    Stream size : 657 MiB (100%)
    Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : HLG
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Codec configuration box : av1C

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 1.94 MiB (0%)
    Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Nov 2021 at 11:48. Reason: typed wrong codec
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It will take a lot of computer horsepower and internet bandwidth before 8K goes mainstream online. I'm assuming and maybe I'm wrong, that 8K tv's are all upscaling from 4K UHD? I'm on a powerful workstation at work which barely played the 26 second clip.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    It will take a lot of computer horsepower and internet bandwidth before 8K goes mainstream online. I'm assuming and maybe I'm wrong, that 8K tv's are all upscaling from 4K UHD? I'm on a powerful workstation at work which barely played the 26 second clip.
    At present, I think you are correct for all practical purposes unless one is living in Japan. (NHK is supposed to offer 8K streaming in Japan but that requires an 80 Mbps broadband Internet connection.)

I have not heard of any US commercial streaming service offering real 8K video and UHD Blu-ray offers only up to 4K. The only 8K sources I have seen for the USA are YouTube, demo video sites, and select high-end cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I started with VHS, Moved to VCD, to DVD's, to BR's, and now to USB and external NAS drives and streaming and casting media to my TV's. It's only a matter of time before 4K becomes widely available and after that 8K. It's not quite as predictive as Moore's Law but, headed that way. When I was watching VHS I never dreamed that one day I would be able to stream a movie to a TV from a computer, yet here we are. It's only a matter of when, not if.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kameralover View Post
    Some of the best minds (myself excluded) here on Videohelp have already explained, it won't play it. Time to bury the thread.
    It's funny you should say that. I actually found a way to make the NVIDIA my primary GPU processor and now my laptop plays 4k 60FPS smoothly!

I realized NVIDIA wasn't being used before and I changed that.

[Attachment 61986 - Click to enlarge]
    So, what did you do to use your Geforce 460M for decoding and what kind of 4K video are we talking about?

If you are playing 4K AVC/H.264 with your Geforce 460M, it does have built-in decoding for AVC/H.264. It doesn't have built-in HEVC/H.265 decoding or VP9 decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I started with VHS, Moved to VCD, to DVD's, to BR's, and now to USB and external NAS drives and streaming and casting media to my TV's. It's only a matter of time before 4K becomes widely available and after that 8K. It's not quite as predictive as Moore's Law but, headed that way. When I was watching VHS I never dreamed that one day I would be able to stream a movie to a TV from a computer, yet here we are. It's only a matter of when, not if.
    4K is enough resolution for me. I doubt that I would ever want a TV that is big enough to benefit from 8K. 8K is best reserved for movie theaters and billboard-sized TVs in public spaces.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've learned something new. This 8k video has AV1 codec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtBDJn1Lqg

Only 11th gen and 12 gen Intel CPUs have hardware codec support for it.

A 10th generation CPU doesn't support it:
    [Attachment 64462 - Click to enlarge]

But 12th gen does:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i7_12700

Do we have someone here with a Surface 4 laptop with 11gen CPU?

Could you please test if Surface plays that video offline?

I think the best player would be VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kameralover View Post
    I've learned something new. This 8k video has AV1 codec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtBDJn1Lqg

Only 11th gen and 12 gen Intel CPUs have hardware codec support for it.

A 10th generation CPU doesn't support it:
    [Attachment 64462 - Click to enlarge]

But 12th gen does:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i7_12700

Do we have someone here with a Surface 4 laptop with 11gen CPU?
    The list of available options indicates that the Surface 4 can be configured with either a Tiger Lake Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 processor with Iris Xe Graphics or Tiger Lake Intel® Core™ i7-1185G7 processor with Iris Xe Graphics.

Tiger Lake's Iris Xe Graphics can decode AV1 and provides the following connections: HDMI 2.0b and DP 1.4 (for connecting external displays), plus eDP 1.4b (for the laptop display's connection). Although Iris Xe graphics provides a built-in AV1 decoder, one must also install Microsoft's AV1 Video Extension to play AV1 video. The Surface 4 has no HDMI ports but does have a USB-C port that is capable of providing DisplayPort 1.4 for an external display by using an appropriate adapter, plus eDP 1.4b for the built-in display. DisplayPort 1.4 can support 8K UHD (7680 × 4320) at up to 60 Hz* or 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) at up to 120 Hz with 30 bit/px RGB color and HDR10.

I don't have a Surface 4 laptop with an 11th gen Intel Tiger Lake processor. Instead, I have an HP Pavilion laptop with an Intel Tiger Lake Core i5-1155G7 with Iris Xe graphics. However Quick Sync Video decoding is the same for all Tiger Lake processors with Iris Xe Graphics.

I can use the Microsoft Movies and TV App for smooth playback of 8K 29.997 Hz HDR10 AV1 video or 8K 60Hz AV1 video (Both videos were downloaded and both are downscaled during playback for my 1080p laptop display and tone mapping is used for HDR10.) However, VLC can't play the same video. I'm guessing that the MS Movies and TV App is optimized for Microsoft's AV1 Video Extension but VLC is not.

[Edit]An 8K download from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtBDJn1Lqg plays smoothly but the Microsoft Movies and TV App doesn't accurately display the HLG HDR used for that video.

*8K at 60Hz is only possible for DP 1.4 when using DSC
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th May 2022 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Surface 4 Laptop should be able to output 8K via DisplayPort with the right adapter connected to its USB-C port. HDMI out at 4K should be possible too with a dock or hub with an HDMI port connected to the USB-C port.

From https://surfacetip.com/does-surface-laptop-4-have-thunderbolt-port/
    ..The single USB-C port on Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 is a USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 port with the max bandwidth of 10 Gbps with the capability to output up to two 4K@60Hz. Here are the complete specs of the Type-C port on the Surface Laptop 4::
    • USB Type-C port.
    • USB 3.2 Gen 2 standard.
    • Transfers up to 10Gbps or 1.25GB/s.
    • Supports DisplayPort 1.4 Alt Mode and Digital Audio.
    • Supports up to two 4K UHD (3840×2160@60Hz).
    • Supports Power Delivery revision 3.0 with power rules of 5v, 9v, 15v, and 20v supports chargers rated at 45W or bigger. It is also backward compatible with PD 2.0.

https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/ shows the following information regarding DisplayPort over USB-C:

DISPLAYPORT OVER USB-C

The most advanced A/V display connection technology now uses the most versatile connector.
    • Full DisplayPort audio/video (A/V) performance (up to 8k at 60Hz)
    • SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1) data
    • Up to 100 watts of power over a single cable
    • Reversible plug orientation and cable direction
    • Backward compatibility to VGA, DVI, and HDMI with plug adapters or adapter cables
    • Adapters supports HDMI 2.0a and full 4K UHD resolution
    Quote Quote