VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First of all, thank all the members of the forum for their help in other queries (Selur, Alwyn, Sharc, Jagabo, etc).

In this case, I would like to improve the image from old landscape DVDs. What filters do you recommend using?

As always, thanks in advance
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Santojob; 5th Nov 2021 at 14:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you should elaborate where you think that this dvd requires improvement to the image.

TBH I could not see any. Picture quality is fine - appears to be pro-shot and not from lower quality such as VHS. Bitrate is good. Interlacing as expected.

Sure it is 4:3 with pillar-boxing on wide-screen displays. By all means suggest a true wide-screen experience and lose detail top and bottom of the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Get an anti-jitter filter,there's a lot of tiny jitter in the picture.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Many thanks DB83 y johns0 for your contribution and help.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Maybe you should elaborate where you think that this dvd requires improvement to the image.

TBH I could not see any. Picture quality is fine - appears to be pro-shot and not from lower quality such as VHS. Bitrate is good. Interlacing as expected.

Sure it is 4:3 with pillar-boxing on wide-screen displays. By all means suggest a true wide-screen experience and lose detail top and bottom of the picture.
    Perhaps the part to improve would be the detail of everything green, trees, herb, I think it is the most complicated, it may be impossible because the source does not give more of itself ...
    Last edited by Santojob; 5th Nov 2021 at 18:46. Reason: Correct
    Quote Quote  
  5. Deinterlace and colour correct it to something that looks a bit more modern
    Quote Quote  
  6. Something like:

Code:
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    ColorYUV(off_y=-12)
    QTGMC(preset="slower")
    CAS(0.6)
    Quote Quote  
  7. btw. here's what happens if you let BasicVSR++ with 'NTIRE 2021(2)' loose on the clip

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Something like:

Code:
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    ColorYUV(off_y=-12)
    QTGMC(preset="slower")
    CAS(0.6)
    I have done several tests with those parameters and there is certainly improvement. Thank you jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    btw. here's what happens if you let BasicVSR++ with 'NTIRE 2021(2)' loose on the clip

Cu Selur
    Impressive results. I do not know BasicVSR ++, if you can comment something on how to implement it in Hybrid we would be grateful.

Greetings and thank you Selur for sharing your knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hybrid does support BasicVSR++ only through a special addon on Windows which requires a CUDA capabale NVIDIA card.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote