VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. I have an issue with a TerraTec Cinergy 400 PCI capture card I bought a few months ago. It consists that whatever S-VIDEO signal is dumped in the card, the picture turns black and white after very few minutes. With the composite input on the other hand, there are no problems. Also, I tried with Windows 98 SE, 2k and Xp, but with the same result. I installed the drivers provided in the original DVD, as well as the capture software. I tried virtualdub too.
    The only cause I can attribute to this issue is bad caps, which I was thinking about replacing anyway (even though they look ok). What do you think about?

The video showing the issue is posted here, so that you can see better. Also, I'm going to specify that the S-VIDEO inputs I tried were: an S-VHS VCR, an old laptop TV-out and a Mini-Dv camcorder. All three either had no problems on a cheap easycap or via scart on a tv, so I'm sure the cause is the capture card.

Thanks in advance!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Tek03 View Post
    The only cause I can attribute to this issue is bad caps, which I was thinking about replacing anyway (even though they look ok). What do you think about?
    Yes, it seems like that could be it. The fact that it is there and goes away after some times pretty much rules out issues on the software side of things (you are not capturing on Windows 10, are you?).

By the way, with this card, if you are using the "normal" 1.4 drivers for it (non-WDM), and it looks like you do, the correct width for capture is 704, not 720.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replying!
    [QUOTE=Skiller;2636215]
    The fact that it is there and goes away after some times pretty much rules out issues on the software side of things
    And what can I do about that?

[QUOTE=Skiller;2636215]
    (you are not capturing on Windows 10, are you?).
    Well, it would be a bit of a challenge to run it on my retro Athlon XP system . I'm using windows XP professional and still have 2000 and 98 SE on the drive in triple boot, all three showing the same issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And what can I do about that?
    It is typical for bad caps to make things better or worse once they reach operating temperature. This seems to be what is happening here (operating temperature reached -> color gone).
    What you can do is replace them. The Cinergy 400 only has simple electrolytic caps which are easy to replace, and there are only few.

Well, it would be a bit of a challenge to run it on my retro Athlon XP system .
    Why? I've been running the Cinergy 400 and similar capture cards exclusively on Windows XP and comparable old machines (AMD Athlon XP 1700+ for example). Windows 10 is not recommended for capture. I highly doubt it is involved in the cause of this problem, but capturing on Windows 10 in general is known to cause problems for many people.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    This seems to be what is happening here (operating temperature reached -> color gone).
    What you can do is change them. The Cinergy 400 only has simple electrolytic caps which are easy to replace, and there are only few.
    Makes sense

Well, it would be a bit of a challenge to run it on my retro Athlon XP system .
    Why?
    I called challenging the fact of running Windows 10 on an old Athlon XP machine (from 2002, single core, less than 2ghz, ddr1 ram). I'm using this older hardware for compatibility's sake and to be able to use windows XP too.

So I'll swaps the caps then. Thanks for your answers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just realized you were being sarcastic about running this capture card on Windows 10. Oh well, too many people try it anyways, so I'm not exactly used to people like you who understand that old hardware needs an old OS as well.

So I'll swaps the caps then.
    Please report back, I would be interested to hear the results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh well, too many people try it anyways
    Oh my goodness

Sure!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SOOO, UPDATES!
    I finally did the job and... accidentaly screwed up the card while soldering!
    Now I'll have to look for a new one, luckly I paid only 17€ for the TerraTec.

If I remember correctly you recommended me saa7134 cards. Are there any other options or brands too other than Terratec, Lifeview or Medion? Just to have more options, since these cards are quite uncommon nowadays.

EDIT: the relative I'm making the capture work for is considering a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle... If I'm not wrong it is the best option here...
    Last edited by Tek03; 27th Dec 2021 at 05:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's a bummer but it counts towards your experience for the future, so that is something good at least.

Are there any other options or brands too other than Terratec, Lifeview or Medion?
    You named the ones that I am aware of. But if you are looking on eBay, searching for something generic like "PCI TV card", if there are good photos of the item, always try to see if you can read what it says on the main IC. There actually is "SAA7134" written on it if it is one. You may be able to find one or two this way.

the relative I'm making the capture work for is considering a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle... If I'm not wrong it is the best option here...
    We tested the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle at the German Gleitz forum and found it is great for HDMI capturing but it's analog inputs (Composite, S-Video) are rubbish. The main issue we found is it does not have a fixed reference point for video levels, it varies with each capture. One capture may be slightly too bright, the next too dark. On top of that the audio input is flawed as well. It is too sensitive and will clip on louder signals. This cannot be prevented with the software controls.
    Don't use it. It's not a good option at all for anything but HDMI. Analog was clearly an afterthought on this product.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's a bummer but it counts towards your experience for the future, so that is something good at least.

Are there any other options or brands too other than Terratec, Lifeview or Medion?
    You named the ones that I am aware of. But if you are looking on eBay, searching for something generic like "PCI TV card", if there are good photos of the item, always try to see if you can read what it says on the main IC. There actually is "SAA7134" written on it if it is one. You may be able to find one or two this way.

the relative I'm making the capture work for is considering a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle... If I'm not wrong it is the best option here...
    We tested the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle at the German Gleitz forum and found it is great for HDMI capturing but it's analog inputs (Composite, S-Video) are rubbish. The main issue we found is it does not have a fixed reference point for video levels, it varies with each capture. One capture may be too bright, the next too dark. On top of that the audio input is flawed as well. It is too sensitive and will clip on louder signals. This cannot be prevented with the software controls.
    Don't use it. It's not a good option at all for anything but HDMI.
    Ok, thanks for the info!
    I've already found a lifeview for 11€ (shipping included) and might give it a try after verifying all the specs. Also, I finally found a DMR-ES10 at a good price, which I could use between the card and the VCR, which does not have a TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Lack of color sometimes is caused by loose S-Video socket or breakout connector pins solder joints, Reflowing those with more solder should be the first step before replacing any capacitors, Just curious to what went wrong with the card?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Lack of color sometimes is caused by loose S-Video socket or breakout connector pins solder joints, Reflowing those with more solder should be the first step before replacing any capacitors
    If I only knew that Thanks for the tip by the way!

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Just curious to what went wrong with the card?
    I had been an idiot...
    Quote Quote