@Sharc, I asked Lordsmurf.
    Ooops! I must have missed it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I don't think the purpose of this thread is to compare crappy mpeg2 encodes, poor deinterlacers, oversharpend pictures with halos etc.
    Yes, but:
    a) deinterlacers are not very important for VHS material. I compared several and the effect is imperceptible with a noisy VHS;
    No.

Only if you're viewing everything in a tiny preview window on a small screen. View it large, full size HDTV, and differences are obvious, even to a half blind grandma. Anybody that doesn't see it simply doesn't want to see it.
    Probably the more-than-deinterlacer QTGMC will do a better job than Yadif or BWDif, but I don't see a difference between the last 2. And the first one is not available for ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    QTGMC will do a better job
    Sure it does, also for VHS capturing.

A recent discussion here https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=184542. In particular, read the comments from my fiend Francesco, he's a professional working for Sky Italy and UK, dealing with broadcast issues every day.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    QTGMC will do a better job
    Sure it does, also for VHS capturing.
    We are getting more and more off topic, but I did a test
    The image is divided into 4 vertical parts (4 x 180px).
    bwdif(field=3), QTGMC(), yadif(mode=1) - one filter is repeated 2x
    Only QTGMC can be recognized.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry in advance for the off topic question...
    But when I played the compare4l.mp4 video, I noticed that at the bottom there is the same phenomenon that I have on my Panasonic DMR-ES15/EX768 - it is a bouncing bar/stripe.
    I see this problem in the following situation:
    1) VCR (S-VIDEO OUT) -> DVD recorder Panasonic DMR-ES15 (AV3 S-VIDEO IN) -> TV (3xCINCH RGB)

2) VCR (S-VIDEO OUT) -> DVD recorder Panasonic DMR-EX768 (AV3 S-VIDEO IN) -> TV (3xCINCH RGB or HDMI)

But in this situation, the stripe is not the problem:
    3) VCR (S-VIDEO OUT) -> DVD recorder Panasonic DMR-ES15/DMR-EX768 (AV3 S-VIDEO IN) -> TV (SCART or CINCH composite)

Does anyone have an idea why the strip does it with RGB or HDMI output from DVD recorders and not with SCART and composite output?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The blanked half-lines at the top and bottom are normal by spec. If you don't see them with some capture setups, it is likely because the whole image is shifted up or down by one or two scanlines. Crop before deinterlacing and it won't start bouncing.
    Last edited by Skiller; 13th Mar 2023 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    From what I've tried myself, I don't understand.
    Why is not the picture from the DVD recorder the same on all outputs (with different quality only)?
    If this problem was already with the VCR output (position of head to tape), then the SCART output of DVD recorder cannot be without a strip, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Like I said, it's not a problem, it is normal. As to why you may or may not see them in some setups and how to deal with it, see my last post.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TOM11 View Post
    From what I've tried myself, I don't understand.
    Why is not the picture from the DVD recorder the same on all outputs (with different quality only)?
    If this problem was already with the VCR output (position of head to tape), then the SCART output of DVD recorder cannot be without a strip, right?
    Because probably your TV treats the signal from different inputs differently (google "overscan" or your TV settings for "overscan").
    Watch, download and burn and test each input:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DrCE9p1GI
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    rgr:
    It is possible and very probably...
    Unfortunately I have not possibility try on other TV.

My thoughts were...
    Either the DVD recorder does it = different output settings.
    Or does the TV = different input settings (exactly as you write)...
    But I have nothing to compare it to, so I was careful with my claim.

I forgot to write about it...
    I have several VCRs and the result is the same with all of them (even with different cassettes, everything is the same).

May be...
    The most probably is mistake in the TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    3xCINCH RGB = component video-YUV only SCART has RGB.
    RGB on SCART was used for TELETEXT or CEEFAX passthrough also

one needs to set things in the DMR-ES menu's to choose for RGB mode or component mode also for setting progessive (525p/625p) on the component (3color) RCA/CINCH video output mode.

An NTSC model will be slightly different because no SCART is present.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 13th Mar 2023 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Eric-jan:
    May be I am out, but I thought YUV (component) = RGB.
    Is it not thrue?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    The most probably is mistake in the TV.
    This is not a bug, it is normal with analog video. For the HDMI input on the TV there should be an "Overscan: Yes/No" option in the menu that emulates this behavior.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKzR8h430dA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eric-jan:
    May be I am out, but I thought YUV (component) = RGB.
    Is it not thrue?
    RGB (SCART) needs still composite for sync (no problem with correct SCART cable)
    the RED GREEN BLUE RCA/cinch is component video which "technically" should be better than the DIN s-video connection.(or composite ofcourse)
    component video YUV was used first before HDMI came, for flatscreens,
    so if you have no HDMI on your source (dvd player) component video is the better option to connect to a flatscreen that has also component input, when progressive mode is valid on both.
    (component video will also support FullHD if available on both)
    One should really use the correct manual of the Panasonic in question to set different modes.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 13th Mar 2023 at 12:56.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Eric-jan:
    I understand everything you wrote...
    But I don't understand what is the difference between Red, Green, Blue (RGB) in SCART connector (three different wires/pins) and Red, Green, Blue (RGB) in case of three different wires = CINCH = YUV.
    Is there a difference in the synchronization?
    That synchronization is needed for SCART and not for YUV?

Thank you very much for your explaining...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The signals are different, component is more "split up" but should not matter that much, because the signal on VHS tape is equal to that of the s-video signal, i don't know that much of it,
    RGB was more common in US television studios, for studio monitors, RGB was more common in PAL(SCART) countries for use between TV's >with game consoles and cable decoders or vcr's
    In the US there where different sync options for RGB, so that could give problems i understand, "Retro gamers" still use CRT's (with RGB) for playing their games, or they convert RGB to HDMI.
    That's also the difference, RGB SCART was used for CRT's, and component was mainly used for LCD/TFT flatscreens
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Eric-jan:
    Thanks for explaining...
    I guess I'll have to study more about it.
    I see I've been thinking wrong so far...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eric-jan:
    Thanks for explaining...
    I guess I'll have to study more about it.
    I see I've been thinking wrong so far...
    That's why i responded…. the RGB of the SCART is not that much in use anymore i can think of, but if HDMI is not available, component YUV (RCA) can be an option in some cases, it does also progressive mode for flatscreens.
    Also it has no protection build in, which HDMI has, so no HDCP or handshaking, Macrovision is removed from a pre-recorded VHS movie if progressive mode is set on, if it should be present, but lots of tapes already have no Macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Eric-jan:
    OK...
    Thanks for adding...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eric-jan:
    OK...
    Thanks for adding...
    I guess you didn't have a real problem, what i do, if i want some real detailed information i try to stear my search with Google to Wikipedia, like enter: Aspect Ratio wiki or SCART pinout wiki or: component vs RGB video
    There's a lot that has been "discovered" by other users, or there have been guides been made of, With Google you can find that, but you should evaluate the source also, and see if it's supported by more people than just one, so user "use cases" are important. so most of the time you can find your answer without asking.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Eric-jan:
    It is clear...
    I can searching....
    But I didn't even think that there was a difference between RGB and component.
    That's why I'm surprised.
    Just like I didn't even know that the component is analog and digital.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, component video is analog, it can be interlaced or progressive, progressive is needed for a flatscreen. The VHS refresh feature does digitize it, but converts it back to analog onto the RCA YUV output, i prefer the analog version, because from a HDMI output, you still need to remove HDCP with an passthrough device, if the HDMI device is a "HiFi living room" consumer device.
    You don't need the RGB from the SCART in most cases, In other cases it's sometimes "handy" to have a converter to adapt certain situations, but only for viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    What no (about component)?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378572-Composite-Component-Scart#post2445434

YCbCr (digital)
    YPbPr (analog)

I know that in the case of output from a DVD recorder, it is analog...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    No, component video is analog, it can be interlaced or progressive,
    It "can be", but NTSC is often not interlaced via component. And that can be true of PAL as well.

progressive is needed for a flatscreen.
    No. The HDTV internally converts to progressive as needed, as well as the frame rate and Hz needed. The input source to HDTVs can certainly be interlaced.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  26. Brad,

You wrote in post #1, "For the first generation of PAL models, SCART output must be used. The other outputs suffer from a brightness variation."

I got my ES15 yesterday and I am wondering, how do I know if I have a "first generation"? What makes it a first generation? The year it was build, maybe? I also clicked on the links you posted, and one guy says, "You only need a scart connector like these one:" and then his links lead you to something like this:

https://www.amazon.de/deleyCON-Buchsen-Umschalter-vergoldete-Kontakte/dp/B0089YIFBU/re...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I happened to have one of those adapters lying around. Yeah! But I am not sure if I then have to "keep going" with RCA or can I use s-video? I am only asking because I assume that s-video has a better signal than RCA, correct?

Thanks.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    No, component video is analog, it can be interlaced or progressive,
    It "can be", but NTSC is often not interlaced via component. And that can be true of PAL as well.

progressive is needed for a flatscreen.
    No. The HDTV internally converts to progressive as needed, as well as the frame rate and Hz needed. The input source to HDTVs can certainly be interlaced.
    The DMR-ES35V has component default on interlaced, The Intensity Shuttle can capture aslo progressive 525p/625p other Intensity versions can not, the Video Assist can't also, so i guess progressive wasn't that populair, maybe only later on devices that have also HDMI, strange also the very first dvd-players had only composite or component, and no HDMI, for settop boxes RGB/SCART was more common in the Netherlands before HDMI. the Panasonic SCART recorder/combo models need an extra menu option to use component/progressive
    Quote Quote  
  28. Did any of the Laserdisc players with TBC provide similar "passthrough" performance, or was it just Panasonic's DVD recorder line? (assuming any of the laserdisc players actually had inputs... maybe they didn't)

Last edited by Xhumeka; 26th Mar 2023 at 11:06.
    Quote Quote  
  29. According to the manual it has only output jacks (S-Video out), hence no passthrough.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I see a Panasonic DMR-ES10EG-S for sale. It says it has Double Re-Master & Depth Enhancer? Since I just bought a ES15, I am wondering if I should have gotten this thing instead.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote