VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ZOTAC ZBOX-ID92/ZBOX-IQ01
    Windows Edition:Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
    Version (Build) 21H1 (10.0.19043)
    PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7-4770T CPU @ 2.50GHz
    GRAPHICS: Intel® HD Graphics 4600
    AUDIO: Realtek High Definition Audio
    NETWORKING AND I/O:
    Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
    Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
    Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2
    MEMORY: 16 GB
    STORAGE:
    Hitachi HTS725050A9A364
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 250GB (OS is installed here).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay guys, above are my specs. This computer has been a workhorse for me. It is even a Plex Media Server for many years now. I watch youtube TV, sports, plex on it. Out of the blue... my ball games would lag or stutter at 1080P on Youtube TV. Not just there, but also with Spectrum TV, and general Youtube. The whole PC at times will just slow down to a crawl. Not just video issues, but internet being very buggy as well. I have RESET the PC twice now. Allowing to wipe all apps and files and chose the "install from local hard drive" option. In the past, whenever I had issues I couldn't resolved, resetting windows 10 has always done the trick. I have never had this type of video lagging issue before. It is only on this PC. Even weaker pcs and notebooks in my home are playing videos at 1080p just fine. So I don't believe it's a network thing.

What can possibly be wrong that a reinstallation of windows 10 hasn't solved my issues? Are worn out or damaged components the culprit? Time for a new PC? You guys have any ideas? Please advise, thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Could be an hard disk problem.
    Check your disks with crystaldiskinfo
    https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the video files are stored on the Hitachi, I would suspect heavy disk fragmentation, possibly bad sectors, failing disk controller.

I would buy an SSD to replace it, back up all your files to the new drive and forget that spinning rust.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Check your HDD and RAM. If you've had the PC for a while then it might be time to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and/or GPU coolers? Have the fans gotten noisier recently?

You might also want to check the voltages out of the power supply in case they're no longer up to spec. If you're using the on-board network card then it might be worth dropping in a PCI/PCI-E replacement network card. Over the years I've seen many on-board network cards fail without actually appearing to fail - in other words they appear to connect, they seem to work but either VERY slowly or just refuse to transfer any data. Disabling in BIOS and replacing with a sub-£20 card has usually solved the problem.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    If the video files are stored on the Hitachi, I would suspect heavy disk fragmentation, possibly bad sectors, failing disk controller.

I would buy an SSD to replace it, back up all your files to the new drive and forget that spinning rust.
    Streaming mainly... would hard drive effect streaming?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Check your HDD and RAM. If you've had the PC for a while then it might be time to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and/or GPU coolers? Have the fans gotten noisier recently?

You might also want to check the voltages out of the power supply in case they're no longer up to spec. If you're using the on-board network card then it might be worth dropping in a PCI/PCI-E replacement network card. Over the years I've seen many on-board network cards fail without actually appearing to fail - in other words they appear to connect, they seem to work but either VERY slowly or just refuse to transfer any data. Disabling in BIOS and replacing with a sub-£20 card has usually solved the problem.

How hot does a CPU have to get for the fan to kick in? I opened the case and I noticed the fan shroud and the CPU underneath was extremely hot, but the fan wasn't on. I unplugged and replugged the fan and restarted the PC, when it restarts, you can see the fan spinning, then it stops. That's normal, right? But when the system starts to heat up the fan doesn't do anything. I've had external fans on top of this PC for years, so if the internal fan hasn't been working, I wouldn't know. I only notice this today because I disconnected everything to open up the case. So what do you think? Add new thermal paste, but does this fan/shroud unit need to be replaced too?

[Attachment 61606 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61607 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Check your HDD and RAM. If you've had the PC for a while then it might be time to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and/or GPU coolers? Have the fans gotten noisier recently?

How hot does a CPU have to get for the fan to kick in? I opened the case and I noticed the fan shroud and the CPU underneath was extremely hot, but the fan wasn't on. I unplugged and replugged the fan and restarted the PC, when it restarts, you can see the fan spinning, then it stops. That's normal, right? But when the system starts to heat up the fan doesn't do anything. I've had external fans on top of this PC for years, so if the internal fan hasn't been working, I wouldn't know. I only notice this today because I disconnected everything to open up the case. So what do you think? Add new thermal paste, but does this fan/shroud unit need to be replaced too?

the fan should be spinning to help keep the computer cool.
    is the fan clogged with dust ??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post

the fan should be spinning to help keep the computer cool.
    is the fan clogged with dust ??
    Doesn't look that bad at all. Is this fan/shroud a universal design? I feel like I should replace because man, it was super hot. The whole black casing was very hot. Who's cooling the cooler? LOL!
    Quote Quote  
  9. If things were as hot as you say then I'd expect the fans to be spinning. If they're not then I'd investigate whether the fan is failing or if the current 'cooling profile' is one aimed more at keeping things quiet but at the expense of higher temps. For the CPU check the BIOS for any relevant settings, as well as any utils from the motherboard's manufacturer that are running in the background. For the GPU check the graphics app(s) from the graphics manufacturer. (usually right-click on an empty part of the desktop . . . ) While you're at it, check that the case fans are spinning freely and that the grills and vents aren't blocked. Personally, I'd still be tempted to replace the thermal paste if it's been on there for several years. A bit of MX2 or MX4 can do wonders!
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's safe to say it's overheating. If it burns your fingers, it's cooking, replace the fan, use new thermal paste, hope and pray to whatever deity you prefer.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  11. Personally, I'd still be tempted to replace the thermal paste if it's been on there for several years.
    Thermal paste should always be replaced once the cooling system has been disassembled.

...hope and pray to whatever deity you prefer.
    Joe Pesci is offering a discount this week : two prayers answered for the price of a ballpoint pen.
    There's a new player who goes by the name Lewis Cipher, but I'm not sure if He can be trusted.
    Cthulhu — avoid, only bad reviews, you gotta wonder how He manages to still have a business after all this time.
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 11th Nov 2021 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Personally, I'd still be tempted to replace the thermal paste if it's been on there for several years.
    Thermal paste should always be replaced once the cooling system has been disassembled.
    I seem to remember that Basil Fawlty had quite a lot to say about people who go around stating "the bleedin' obvious!"
    Quote Quote  
  13. I seem to remember that Basil Fawlty had quite a lot to say about people who go around stating "the bleedin' obvious!"
    Well nothing is never “obvious” in the world of computerz, God Himself has a hard time wrapping His mind around anything digital...

“- When I have the map, I will be free... and the world will be different because I have understanding.
    - Uh, understanding of what, Master ?
    - Of digital watches. Soon I shall have understanding of video cassette recorders and car telephones.
    And when I have understanding of them, I shall have understanding of computers.
    And when I have understanding of computers, I shall be the Supreme Being.
    God isn't interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution.
    Look how He spends His time. Forty-three species of parrots !
    - Nipples for men !
    - Slugs. Slugs ! He created slugs. They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic ?”
    ~ Time bandits, Terry Gilliam, 1981

Don't know about Basil Fawlty, care to share a relevant link ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you like Time Bandits (love it!), you will like Fawlty Towers (love it!), for the same reason. Both with ex-Pythons.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Don't mention the war.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you're overly Woke or PC then Fawlty Towers might not be for you. But if you're intelligent, practical, and have a good sense of humour - like most of the people here (with just one or two notable exceptions!) - then seek it out and enjoy! It's been reported that each script took up to 3 months to write . . . ? Certainly, the writing is impressive. There's barely a wasted line in any of the 12 episodes, the only other piece of writing that comes close to being SO polished, that I can think of, is that first Back to the Future movie by Robert Zemeckis. The writing of the second series is even more impressive when you know that John Cleese and his then wife, Connie Booth (who also plays Polly in the show), wrote and filmed that series whilst going through a divorce!

p.s. And if you give us any more trouble, I shall visit you in the small hours and put a bat up your nightdress!
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you're overly Woke or PC then Fawlty Towers might not be for you.
    I eat PC woke for breakfast (I make sure it's gluten-free though).

But if you're intelligent, practical, and have a good sense of humour
    Heeey, you're laughing ! You think I'm funny, huh, you think I'm funny ?!

Well in any case I'll add this to my ever-growing pile of stuff to watch / listen to / read... (At this point I would need the equivalent of a Dragon Ball Z Hyperbolic Time Chamber, to have time enough at last.)

There's barely a wasted line in any of the 12 episodes, the only other piece of writing that comes close to being SO polished, that I can think of, is that first Back to the Future movie by Robert Zemeckis.
    If I have to name one piece of live action fiction writing that amazed me, that would be the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “The inner light”{1} — one night I read a high praise of it on a forum, had never seen a single episode of the entire Star Trek franchise, tracked it down out of curiosity, was a bit skeptical for about 5 minutes (lots of technobabble during the first scenes on the space ship), then cue 40 minutes later{2}, I was in a different place, with tears running down my cheeks and my mind blown. To this day I couldn't bring myself to watch another episode of that series, afraid that it couldn't possibly live up to that level of marvel they achieved in that almost standalone episode (another reason being my aggravation with conspicuous technobabble, which seems to come with the territory for the vast majority of the franchise, while the sheer number of episodes is quite intimidating, now that I've become much slower at absorbing and “digesting” any kind of art work).

{1} The linked article is from Morgan Gendel, the writer of “The inner light”, reflecting on his masterpiece, 20 years later.
    Some of the comments are equally worth reading, in particular : #27 Aaron Em ; #44 Russ Haney ; #45 Cam ; #51 Bernhard de Kok.
    {2} It's painful to imagine that people who watched it on television had to put up with 3 or 4 onslaughts of cynical moronic commercials... Let's hope at least that something like this didn't happen.

p.s. And if you give us any more trouble, I shall visit you in the small hours and put a bat up your nightdress!
    This would have an insane carbon footprint for a mere prank...
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 14th Nov 2021 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  19. [QUOTE=abolibibelot;2637089]
    Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “The inner light”{1}
    If you liked that you may enjoy Kurosawa's Ikiru. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jagabo;2637253]
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “The inner light”{1}
    If you liked that you may enjoy Kurosawa's Ikiru. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/
    I think many were moved by the Inner Light, it's a great idea, and so well done.

Thanks for the movie tip also, appreciate that
    Quote Quote  
  21. The Inner light is a good episode. (And Jean-Luc does put his flute playing skills to good use later on! Nudge. Nudge. Wink. Wink. Say No More!)

Another couple of ST-TNG eps that always get me are 'The Measure of a Man' (series 2?) and the (sort of) follow-up ep 'The Offspring' (make sure you have a hanky handy! ) Both of them also allow (Sir) Patrick Stewart to give his acting 'chops' a bit of an airing!
    Last edited by TimA-C; 15th Nov 2021 at 07:34. Reason: Missing CAPS
    Quote Quote