VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Thread
  1. Previously I have asked about importing/capturing old DV tapes to PC.

    I now know it cannot be done to an ordinary laptop (Windows) unless it is now possible to import to HMDI, USB-C, USB 3.0.

    I have gained a decade old Macbook.

    It has the USB 2.0 and I think a thunderbolt port (is lightening symbol next to a port that looks a little like a USB-C port).
    It has Linux installed on it.

    What would be the best way to import DV footage to the Macbook OR my new windows Dell Laptop with a USB-C port?

    Please be basic and any links.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Old8mmArchiver; 1st Nov 2021 at 14:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Search PM
    I don't know whether it can be done using a Mac's Thunderbolt port when you're running Linux. It can be done using a chain of dongles on MacOS. I think you'd have to know which version of Thunderbolt port you've got, to buy the right adapters.

    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395964-Canopus-advc-100-on-a-recent-Laptop#post2573397
    (Formerly vaporeon800)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Old8mmArchiver View Post
    Previously I have asked about importing/capturing old DV tapes to PC.

    I now know it cannot be done to an ordinary laptop (Windows) unless it is now possible to import to HMDI, USB-C, USB 3.0.

    I have gained a decade old Macbook.

    It has the USB 2.0 and I think a thunderbolt port (is lightening symbol next to a port that looks a little like a USB-C port).
    It has Linux installed on it.

    What would be the best way to import DV footage to the Macbook OR my new windows Dell Laptop with a USB-C port?

    Please be basic and any links.

    Thanks
    A Pinnacle Studio Movie Box 510 USB was suggested to you in one of your other threads. Were you unable to find one or did you find one but could not make it work?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Peterborough, England
    Search Comp PM
    It can be done with Windows as long as you have a firewire port, which is the correct way of transferring DV. My laptop (Lenovo W530) has a firewire port and the desktop I use for video work has a firewire card in it for that specific reason.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can use dvgrab in linux if you have a firewire input, but I have no idea how the linux driver support is for firewire over thunderbolt.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    A Pinnacle Studio Movie Box 510 USB was suggested to you in one of your other threads. Were you unable to find one or did you find one but could not make it work?
    Not found one as they appear out of production in UK.

    Budget constraints don't help LOL

    I'll see if my lad has an old desktop I can borrow to get all the DV tapes imported. maybe get a firewire card added as I think they are in the <30 bracket now.
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You do NOT need a modern laptop or desktop. Pretty much any computer made since the late 1990s will transfer DV without any problems. The reason for this is that the speed of the computer isn't important. All that is needed is the 1394/Firewire port. If you use Windows, download the now-free SClive (a.k.a. Scenalyzer).

    DV capture is the easiest, most bullet-proof video capture ever created.

    BTW, if you have an older laptop that has a PCMCIA (a.k.a. "PC Card") slot, you can easily find Firewire card that will pop in that slot. It will work just fine.

    What you DON'T want to do is use a USB to Firewire converter. Either get a computer that can accept a 1394 card or has Firewire/1394 built in, or don't do the project.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Peterborough, England
    Search Comp PM
    Totally agree. My video computer must be at least 15 years old, runs an old AMD XP2400 processor and is running Windows XP. It has a 3 port Firewire card plugged in and just works. I use either WinDV or Ulead Video Studio 8 (which won't run under anything later than XP and it was then bought by Corel and dumbed down making it less flexible and harder to use) to transfer DV into the computer. DV just works, never drops frames and for that reason if I am capturing footage from anything earlier (V8, Hi8, VHS, etc) I just run it through a DV camcorder as passthrough so end up with DV into the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. My old Laptop that was able to take a PCMIA card died years ago.

    All I have now is my Dell with USB-C, HDMI, USB B x2 wunning Windows 10.
    The Macbook Air with a USB and thunderbolt running Linux.

    I have one of the Video-2-PC transfer kits to do my old 8mm tapes and that is ok but it's the mini DV tapes I want to transfer over now.

    As I say; no money to get old laptop or Pinnacle Movie box (if they were available still) so it's on a shoestring.

    Thanks for the help so far
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK so I have had another look at the old DV camcorder.

    It is a Panasonic NV-GS-17 (manual here https://www.manua.ls/panasonic/nv-gs17/manual?p=4 )

    It has a S-Video socket on it so theoretically it can transfer video to the PC via a Video-2-PC transfer kit.

    There is an AV socket on the front.

    On the side is a DV and mini USB socket too.

    Any help ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Old8mmArchiver
    It is a Panasonic NV-GS-17 (manual here https://www.manua.ls/panasonic/nv-gs17/manual?p=4 )

    It has a S-Video socket on it so theoretically it can transfer video to the PC via a Video-2-PC transfer kit.
    Originally Posted by Amazon review of that Video-2-PC thingee
    It works!! If you're looking for a way to get your MiniDV tapes downloaded from your old camera to a computer and don't have one any longer that has a fire wire hookup, then you're in luck!
    Do it! If you can't capture as DV, it's not the end of the world. If you can, use an S-Video cable for your video; that'll yield better quality. I've found that an S-video capture is just as good as a DV capture (DV left, AVI from my IO Data GV-USB2 on the right):

    Image
    [Attachment 61584 - Click to enlarge]


    Originally Posted by John Meyer
    Either get a computer that can accept a 1394 card or has Firewire/1394 built in, or don't do the project.
    John, that's a bit harsh.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 2nd Nov 2021 at 18:35.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Peterborough, England
    Search Comp PM
    How many tapes are you looking at doing? I have 5 different DV camcorders so at least one of them should be able to play the tapes (it's always better to play back on the same machine as they were recorded on). I'm about 80 miles north of you but if there is only a few I could transfer them and put them on a memory stick as DV .avi files so you can do whatever you need to with them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    How many tapes are you looking at doing? I have 5 different DV camcorders so at least one of them should be able to play the tapes (it's always better to play back on the same machine as they were recorded on). I'm about 80 miles north of you but if there is only a few I could transfer them and put them on a memory stick as DV .avi files so you can do whatever you need to with them.
    It's a fair few of the family and holidays but thanks for the offer.
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Old8mmArchiver
    It is a Panasonic NV-GS-17 (manual here https://www.manua.ls/panasonic/nv-gs17/manual?p=4 )

    It has a S-Video socket on it so theoretically it can transfer video to the PC via a Video-2-PC transfer kit.
    Originally Posted by Amazon review of that Video-2-PC thingee
    It works!! If you're looking for a way to get your MiniDV tapes downloaded from your old camera to a computer and don't have one any longer that has a fire wire hookup, then you're in luck!
    Do it! If you can't capture as DV, it's not the end of the world. If you can, use an S-Video cable for your video; that'll yield better quality. I've found that an S-video capture is just as good as a DV capture (DV left, AVI from my IO Data GV-USB2 on the right):

    Image
    [Attachment 61584 - Click to enlarge]


    Originally Posted by John Meyer
    Either get a computer that can accept a 1394 card or has Firewire/1394 built in, or don't do the project.
    John, that's a bit harsh.
    I have a new S-Video cable on it's way so hopefully be able to do it soon.
    I can use the AV connection for the sound maybe?
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    I can use the AV connection for the sound maybe?
    Yessir.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Peterborough, England
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lensmeister View Post
    It's a fair few of the family and holidays but thanks for the offer.
    I know the feeling. When clearing things out after my father passed away I found a JVC S-VHS camcorder kit and a huge stack of tapes, along with a Sony DCR-PC5E DV camcorder along with another huge stack of tapes. I spent literally weeks transferring them all to put on an external hard drive for my sister!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lensmeister View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    A Pinnacle Studio Movie Box 510 USB was suggested to you in one of your other threads. Were you unable to find one or did you find one but could not make it work?
    Not found one as they appear out of production in UK.

    Budget constraints don't help LOL

    I'll see if my lad has an old desktop I can borrow to get all the DV tapes imported. maybe get a firewire card added as I think they are in the <30 bracket now.
    The Pinnacle Studio Movie Box 510 USB was discontinued everywhere some time ago and since then has only been available from eBay and similar sources either as a used device or as "new" old stock. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.

    Look for a Firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset for best compatibility. Here are examples with a PCI-e interface:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08339PGM8/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syba-Profile-PCI-Express-Firewire-SD-PEX30009/dp/B002S53IG8/

    If your son has a computer that has only PCI expansion slots available then there is this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006B8EQ/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Nov 2021 at 21:33.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote