VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only 'plus' (and that could be equally adapted for 704*576) is that all tools are free whereas many of those that are now promoted are not.
    The only reason I chimed in was because the OP didn't specify "free". And the free tools are free, dollars-wise, but not as cheap, time-wise, as you seem to have found, DB83.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I like skiller's avisynth approach which also clarifies the maths.
    Thank you.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The only 'plus' is that all tools are free whereas many of those that are now promoted are not.
    HCenc, which is free, is not too far behind ProCoder in terms of MPEG2 quality with these kinds of sources. I actually do rank it 2nd best for this purpose, although at medium to medium-low bitrates the gap gets much bigger. HCenc can be used within AVStoDVD so I highly recommend that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Alwyn, I spent all morning messing about about with Magix Movie Edit Pro Premium & I could not crop exact as you did, I used the exact same settings you posted but maybe because it's a demo version I always got what looked like 4:3 but Mediainfo said it was 16:9.

Because I could not get the crop right I used what you posted 701 x 492 with position 8 left and 42 top

The tape I bought is a double tape with 4 episodes on each & it would be great to find a simple free program to achieve what everyone else is achieving, I simply do not have the knowledge or skill, I'm trying what everyone is posting & highly appreciate all the help.

I'm back capturing at the moment, if there are any suggestions how I can achieve your results in a simpler fashion that would be great

I'm going to try avstodvd after the capture & see how that goes.

Once again thank you everybody for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The sample in post #10 is RGB. You should be capturing as YUY2 or YV12, not RGB. You'll get smaller and more accurate files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Jagabo, I cannot confirm. It's raw uncompressed YUY2 (no codec used).

[Attachment 61585 - Click to enlarge]

If it was RGB my script would not have even worked without an error message.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Jagabo, I cannot confirm. It's raw uncompressed YUY2 (no codec used).
    Oh, you're right. The RGB clip must have been someone else's sample I was dealing with recently.
    Quote Quote