VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I am capturing some old VHS tapes of mine using my JVC S-VHS, HR-S2902U. I have a Dazzle DVC-100 + Windows 7. I can capture the video just fine, but at some points throughout the video I am getting a very strong curved line distortion at the top of the picture.

That distortion continues and waves back in forth. What do I have to do in order to solve this problem? I've been capturing off and on for the last 20 years or so, and have never once seen that happen before. The only thing different now, is the hardware I use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u08mfa1kohtebcs/distortion-curves.avi?dl=1
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2021-10-30-09h36m29s407.png
Views:	46
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	61511  

Last edited by palyons; 30th Oct 2021 at 14:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Flagging, lineTBC needed (change VCR or add a Panasonic DVD-R to be used in passthrough mode)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Flagging, lineTBC needed (change VCR or add a Panasonic DVD-R to be used in passthrough mode)
    What settings(if any) do I need to change in Panasonic DVD-R to get rid of the flagging? I just purchased a DMR-ES15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Set NR to off, to make it as "transparent" as possible (altough NR will not be completely removed, but it's not an issue).

edit: no special setting for tearing/flagging reduction, just VCR -> ES15 -> capture card (use a S-Video signal chain if available)
    Last edited by lollo; 31st Oct 2021 at 04:35.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Set NR to off, to make it as "transparent" as possible (altough NR will not be completely removed, but it's not an issue).

edit: no special setting for tearing/flagging reduction, just VCR -> ES15 -> capture card (use a S-Video signal chain if available)
    Alright, good to know. what is NR?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Noise Reduction (setting)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got the unit today, the DMR-ES15. Unfortunately it did not come with a remote, so had to go out and buy a universal remote, which seems to work well enough.

The issue I'm having is the following. It doesn't seem to want to stay at the menu screen for longer than a few seconds when I have the tray open or closed.

Other thing being, is how do I get to the menu to turn the settings you recommended on/off? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  8. @palyons, did using a DVD recorder help?
    Quote Quote