VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if this should go in the capturing forum, but I think the issue here is with my camcorder, so I'm posting it here. Anyway, I'm trying to convert all my parents VHS tapes to digital. I have the Diamond Multimedia VC500 capture card, and using Cyberlink Powerdirector, that came with it, it is working fine for the most part. The quality is better than I expected so that's good. But the software has a "feature" that detects copyrighted material and stops the recording. I am not capturing copyrighted tapes, these are home videos. What I've read is that when the tape has a section that is very bad quality, this "feature" has a bug that stops the recording. I'd say 90% of the tapes have enough scribbly sections in them, that I am constantly having to stop and start the tapes, and end up with 5 or 6 separate video files for each tape. It is very annoying.

So that's the back story. So I am trying to get the capture to go through my Sony TRV22 camcorder, which has a passthrough capability. So I should be able to run the VHS through the camcorder, then out through firewire to my PC. And I am 99% sure I've tested this successfully in the past and got it working. But it will not work for some reason. I read in another thread that in the settings I need to set "A/V > DV OUT" to ON, which I have done. And in the "etc" menu, I have set Display equal to V-OUT/LCD. I have tried going through a RCA to mini RCA plug to the A/V plug on the camcorder, and I have also tried s-video. Neither will display the VHS picture on the LCD screen, or in my capture software. Tried virtualdub as well, and can't see it there. I know this is reaching, but if anyone out there has any tips I'd appreciate it.

I could also skip the cyberlink software and use virtualdub, as that wouldn't stop the video capture, but the output from that is really terrible. It comes out with a bunch of horizontal lines in the video, not very nice at all. I'm sure it has something to do with a codec or something that I need to use, but that's for another forum, maybe I'll post that in the capture forum. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the camcorder is capable of passthrough, then it should just output the A/V in signal as DV over Firewire. You aren't capturing, simply transferring a digital signal created in the camcorder to your computer. Try using WinDV to transfer. Not sure if the TRV22 LCD display will show the video while transferring, you are simply using it to convert the analogue video in to digital. S-Video into the camcorder should give better quality than composite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never used a Sony MiniDV, but based on my Sony Digital8 and this YouTube video showing DCR-HC96, the signal input should display on the LCD when the settings are correct. It would be very user-unfriendly if this wasn't the case.

I've attached the relevant manual page. It says Display should be set to LCD. Also, make sure the camcorder is in VCR (not camera) mode.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony DCR-TRV22 signal convert.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	61490  

My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use both D8 and MiniDV and both work the same way. Make sure the settings are correct on the camcorder then switch it off. Plug in the Firewire cable and switch the camcorder on in VCR mode. The computer should detect it and ask you how you want to transfer. If you have WinDV installed, that should be one of the options.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Having used this method with Sony MiniDV camcorders myself, I am sure the camcorder's LCD would display the incoming signal if everything is set up correctly. Try archiving that first before even connecting the Firewire cable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    LCD should display the incoming signal and winDV or sclive is the software to transfer DV stream not vdub, You could use vdub if you use A/V out of the camcorder and the diamond capture device you have with much better quality but you loose the LTBC feature you have if using iLink through DV conversion.
    Quote Quote