VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I record a PAL VHS with Hauppauge WinTV USB-Live2 and amarectv using HuffYUV as codec. The result is a .avi that preferably must be converted to a mpeg4 or .ts for easy viewing. The motion is very important in these videos. But the problem is that the file looks like it needs some deinterlacing before it will look good. How to do that?
    File is uploaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/svc2r4glq1tez02/amarec%2820211026-1050%29.avi?dl=0

/J
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video is interlaced (check that with mediainfo). But there is more.

A true Amarectv PAL capture would give you 720*576. You have a video of 720*568. What and how did you achieve that ?

There exists many ways to deinterlace. Avisynth would give you the best results. Many topics on here so do a little research.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Encoded with clever FFmpeg-GUI, x264, CRF 20, tune film, veryfast, deinterlaced with yadif (1 field to 1 frame, to keep the motion smooth), therefore double framerate (from 25fps to 50fps).
    Audio encoded from pcm to aac 128kbs.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may be mistaken but I still see combing in that conversion.

But the problem could have been the initial 'crop'.

And to the OP. There is no need to use external sites for samples of under 500 mb. A simple attachment is all that is required.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The video is interlaced (check that with mediainfo). But there is more.

A true Amarectv PAL capture would give you 720*576. You have a video of 720*568. What and how did you achieve that ?

There exists many ways to deinterlace. Avisynth would give you the best results. Many topics on here so do a little research.
    Yes it should be 720x576 but it is not even after one more try. It normally is 576. I checked the amarectv settings but found nothing there that could change it. It was set to 16:9 which i changed to 4:3.
    Avisynth how, is there a beginners guide or even a complete step by step?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very odd.

I will leave it to the experts to guide you but as I said there are many posts on here about it.

It is possible that your original tape had other issues. Quite likely a NTSC original so the PAL transfer suffers from field-blending etc. Even an 'oven-ready' standards conversion. But there are experts here that spot this a mile off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I may be mistaken but I still see combing in that conversion.

But the problem could have been the initial 'crop'.

And to the OP. There is no need to use external sites for samples of under 500 mb. A simple attachment is all that is required.
    I had forgotten that i earlier added a crop of 13 at the bottom of the screen to cut the noise out. I may do the crop later in ffmpeg-gui if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well 576 - 568 = 8 when I went to school

But if you did crop by an odd number you have altered the interlacing hence the combing. Cropping should be done (to be safe) after the deinterlace. You would also need to resize the video since huffyuv is 5:4 and you want 4:3
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well 576 - 568 = 8 when I went to school

But if you did crop by an odd number you have altered the interlacing hence the combing. Cropping should be done (to be safe) after the deinterlace. You would also need to resize the video since huffyuv is 5:4 and you want 4:3
    The crop was removed and now it is 576. A new recorded sample here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/59ylo17ercrqkpe/amarec%2820211026-1406%29.avi?dl=0 . This VHS is ok, but lots of the other VHS have noise. I am curious to see if clever ffmpeg can do just as a good work of making the mpeg4 after the recording is cleaned with neat video..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Encoded with clever FFmpeg-GUI, x264, CRF 20, tune film, veryfast, deinterlaced with yadif (1 field to 1 frame, to keep the motion smooth), therefore double framerate (from 25fps to 50fps).
    Nice. Easy, fast, and the motion is good when playing on tv directly from the pc with VLC running at 50Hz. I will later try other tests too.
    Last edited by tvviewer; 26th Oct 2021 at 09:01.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Encoded with clever FFmpeg-GUI, x264, CRF 20, tune film, veryfast, deinterlaced with yadif (1 field to 1 frame, to keep the motion smooth), therefore double framerate (from 25fps to 50fps).
    Lets assume we would like to edit the avi with virtualdub, for example edit color or remove noise. With virtualdub we can produce another large avi... But can we output a x264/5 mkv using ffmpeg and virtualdub together? Another question, can clever ffmpeg gui show the command line that it uses behind the scene when the convert happens?
    Last edited by tvviewer; 17th Apr 2022 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tvviewer View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Lets assume we would like to edit the avi with virtualdub, for example edit color or remove noise. With virtualdub we can produce another large avi... But can we output a x264/5 mkv using ffmpeg and virtualdub together? Another question, can clever ffmpeg gui show the command line that it uses behind the scene when the convert happens?

If you were using the vdub version of Neat Video, you could use vdub2 directly . It has x264/x265 mkv output options , aac , yadif filter
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by tvviewer View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post

If you were using the vdub version of Neat Video, you could use vdub2 directly . It has x264/x265 mkv output options , aac , yadif filter
    Vdub2 looks very good. - the yadif deinterlacing above with clever ffmpeg gave a very smooth motion . How do i get the exact same setting in vdub2?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by tvviewer View Post
    Vdub2 looks very good. - the yadif deinterlacing above with clever ffmpeg gave a very smooth motion . How do i get the exact same setting in vdub2?
    Use the Deinterlace filter, set it to Yadif, double frame rate.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Apr 2022 at 09:49.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I would like to get 25 or 29.97 fps if PAL or NTSC after deinterlacing. Furthermore, if the video resolution could be upscaled to 900x720 that would be great.
    I try with avisynth and virtualdub2 and x264 8 bit sar w 1 h 1 and this avisynth script:

"
    LoadPlugin("D:\Share\VirtualDub-1.9.5\plugins32\nnedi3.dll")

AviSource("x.avi")
    AssumeBFF()
    NNEDI3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwi dth=900,fheight=720)
    "
    It will load into virtualdub2.
    Then i could use colormill, neatvideo. and deinterlace with interpolate with yadif and keep bf.

However, after this is set up and video processed, the interlacing is not acceptable.

Any suggesting on how to tackle the deinterlacing to get the smooth motion?
    Last edited by tvviewer; 23rd Aug 2022 at 15:24.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You have to deinterlace before upscaling.
    Quote Quote