VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody, Going crazy here.... I am translating some subtitles for a series of documentaries. I have been provided with the Spanish subtitles in STL and, having had problems with this format, SRT. What I usually do is load the STL into subtitle edit, save as .ASS and work in Aegisub, and so I did with the first one. All good. I have tried the same system with the other eight videos and what happens in SE is this: the time stamps don't do anything, i.e. when I click on a line, I am not taken to that part of the video, actually the video goes straight to the end and stays there the moment I open it. When I convert to SRT or ASS and try to work in Aegisub (preferred method), all lines are timed at 9:59:59.00.
    Client says they work fine for them, so I must be doing something wrong, but cannot figure out what... especially as it worked for the 1st video. Could it be something to do with line separaters or something?? Sorry I am kind of new to subtitling and don't know all the terminology. I would really appreciate some help here. If anybody wants to set up a zoom or whatever to walk me through it, I would gladly pay for their time.

Thanks in advance....
    Quote Quote  
  2. example (from txt file)

10:00:07:03 10:00:09:17
    "Fue el epicentro
    de la pandemia en Europa.

10:00:09:18 10:00:12:09
    Roma tuvo que enviar
    al ejército para sacar

10:00:12:10 10:00:14:08
    de allí a los muertos por COVID."

10:00:17:19 10:00:20:15
    "'En portada' vuelve
    a la zona cero de Italia.

10:00:20:16 10:00:22:16
    Bérgamo es una de las provincias

10:00:22:17 10:00:25:00
    más industrializadas
    del continente."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I could be wrong but your times are all separated by colons making the time Days,hours,minutes,seconds. Should the last one be a period. It could be why its going to the end. The video is not 10 days long i'm assuming. Or maybe the 10:00 should just be 10?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Budman, thanks for answering. I'm thinking its something like that - I'll have to change commas/semi-colons/periods or something, but I'm not sure how to go about it, and not sure why this issue has arisen, as it didn't happen with the first file I did... I must have changed some settings unbeknownst...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have uninstalled and reinstalled SE and Aegisub, in case I had unwittingly changed some customisable setting, but the problem persists...
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's those 10s, isn't it. I have no idea where they are coming from.... the video is 39 minutes long...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if it will work but since the video is on 39 minutes(no number in hours) you might try te t editor and replace 10:00 with just 00.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Budman, thought I had answered this, but somehow my answer isn't here.
    Thanks for you time.
    I have tried what you said, didn't work. The subtitles don't line up with the video, but thanks for trying anyway.
    I am now resigned to doing it manually.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The best program for edit subitles is Visualsubs .You can do it easily
    Quote Quote