VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was trying to cut a lossless AVI file that I wanted to create clips from but seeking in Virtualdub2 in next to difficult. This isn't the first time this happened but it seems like it really hates big AVI files even when I plan to convert it to MP4. What is going on?! Other programs to not do this but Virtualdub2 does.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hold down the shift key and drag the pointer
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    According to your specs you have an hp computer and most likely its underpowered and has issues with bigger files and virtualdub2,just use the other app that doesn't have this issue.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Two main possiblities: a missing or damaged keyframe index, or long GOP interframe codecs. For the first, rebuild the index. For the second use shorter GOPs or all I-frames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In what way is "seeking difficult" ? Did you mean slow or unresponsive ? Or did you mean something else ? Maybe like timeline /playhead /framenumber visibility, or framing/zooming the timeline "granularity"?

What is the lossless compression and settings used ?

What are the "other programs" that do not have seeking problems (I'm assuming on the same file) ?

Another possibility is you're using different decoders for each
    Quote Quote  
  6. You could try to remux the AVI first.
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI for it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The computer details listed in the OPs profile says his computer has only 4gb if ram, that would be my first guess as to the slow performance.
    Quote Quote