VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am wondering if there is USB to HDMI and/or SDI hardware and software that can play video files in a computer, especially in WEBM format. this would be not using that computer's console video card or its audio. even better if there is a way to get it modulated by ATSC onto at least a few VHF RF channels (preferably low-band). QAM may also be usable.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i am wondering if there is USB to HDMI and/or SDI hardware and software that can play video files in a computer, especially in WEBM format. this would be not using that computer's console video card or its audio. even better if there is a way to get it modulated by ATSC onto at least a few VHF RF channels (preferably low-band). QAM may also be usable.
    ATSC modulators cost about $1000 or more. I think for that kind of money you would be better off buying another computer.

There are external video cards with HDMI out that connect to a computer via USB 3.0 and can supply up to 1080p video plus 2 channel audio. This is one example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1416628-REG/startech_usb32hdes_slim_usb_3_0_to.html However, the computer must decode the video and audio.

I think that what you really need is an Android-based streaming media device that connects to your home network. With KODI installed on one of these, you can play a variety of video files stored in a shared folder on a Windows PC, streamed over your home network. Decent ones start at about $50.

[Edit]I have a $50 Chromecast With Google TV, which is different from and IMO superior to previous Chromecast devices. I have the Android versions of VLC and KODI installed on it. Both of these work well for playing videos in shared folders on my Windows PCs over my wireless home network. I tried using my Chromecast With Google TV to play a WebM file stored on networked PC with VLC and it worked.

The Chromecast With Google TV lacks a built-in Ethernet port for connecting to a wired network and must be plugged into a wall outlet for power because USB ports on TVs don't supply enough power. However, Google sells an Ethernet adapter that supplies power plus an Ethernet port and there are also hubs that can supply power, Ethernet, and additional USB connections.

[Edit 2]I forgot to mention that when using a hub, the power brick included with the Chromecast will probably be insufficient and another power brick will have to be purchased.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Oct 2021 at 19:55. Reason: typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I neglected to look at your computer details before answering. Now that I have, I see that you are running Linux.

Unfortunately, the USB external video adapter that I recommended is only for Windows so today I looked at 4 other USB external video adapters. None of them had Linux drivers, just drivers for Windows and in one case, Windows and OSX. It looks like a Linux-compatible USB external video adapter will be hard to find at best and non-existent at worst.

An Android TV box that can play WebM files using the Android version of VLC or the Android version of KODI should still be an option. I tried to play a WebM file stored in a shared folder on one of my Windows PCs using VLC on my Chromecast With Google TV and it could play that file. I don't know why playing files from network shares on a computer running Linux wouldn't work just as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    However, the computer must decode the video and audio.
    this will be computer generated video. so encode/decoding can be skipped. then it's a matter of RGB vs YUV and pixel format differences.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    However, the computer must decode the video and audio.
    this will be computer generated video. so encode/decoding can be skipped. then it's a matter of RGB vs YUV and pixel format differences.
    I wasn't able to find any external USB video cards that work with Linux. They seem not to exist. Some sources said those based on DisplayLink chips would work but when I located such an item I found that isn't true anymore if it ever was true.
    Quote Quote