VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone, I am currently in the process of remastering Mew Mew Power and I'd like some advice going forward.
    The goal is to remaster the series at 1536x1152 (double native resolution)

First a bit of info about about this series. The show is a Japanese Anime dubbed for the west by Funimation.
    The problem is, the only country to air the entire first season (26 episodes) with all segments and release them on DVD is South Africa.
    And the SA version has some, lets say very interesting characteristics.
    (More on this later)

Currently here are the best results I have achieved with VapourSynth:

This is the source footage:
    [Attachment 61299 - Click to enlarge]

This is my current version of the remaster:
    [Attachment 61300 - Click to enlarge]

This is before additional noise reduction and sharpening in After Effects

And here is an example of the full process including upscaling and After Effects:
    Original Source:
    [Attachment 61302 - Click to enlarge]

Remaster:
    [Attachment 61303 - Click to enlarge]

There are still things I am tweaking and actively working on. You will notice some of the lines are thinner or rounder.
    This is due to awrapsharp and Hysteria. Its a conscious choice that results in much, much sharper and clearer line work and
    is a sacrifice I am willing to make.
    But any more advice would be appreciated
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The problems

The thing I haven't been able to solve is Double Images/ghosting.
    Japan is NTSC and SA is PAL. Idk how Funimation converted NTSC to PAL but it appears that they blended every 3rd frame.
    So there is a lot of ghosting on all frames and fields both before and after deinterlacing and on individual fields.

This is an example of the worst of it and its not present in every frame but about 40% of them are this way.
    Source Image:
    [Attachment 61301 - Click to enlarge]

As you can tell, not only is the ghost shifted to the left, the upcoming frame ghosts into the previous frame too. Idk if this was intended. You can't notice it unless you pause but its there. Is there anyway to solve this?

Last pieces of advice I'd like to ask are Chroma noise reduction. Can't find any info on filters, and if there is a better method of deinterlacing than QTGMC -
    that doesn't result in massive combing issues.

I think I have solved most issues and I'm extremely happy with where I am so far. However if there is more quality to be regained/clean up I want to extract as much as physically possible.

These are the filters I am currently working with:
    • TBilateral
    • HQDering
    • VS Placebo
    • AAF (anti-aliasing)
    • QTGMC

If there are even higher quality replacements do recommend! Thank you!
    Last edited by Reclusive Eagle; 16th Oct 2021 at 07:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Without a sample hard so say anything useful.
    Assuming the frame after and before the blended frame is blend free, removing the blended frame is probably the easiest solution,..
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. You're an anime fan that prefers dubbed audio? Yes, as Selur says, we need samples showing the problem, untouched from your source. 10 seconds should be enough. You can cut the samples from the DVD using DGIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can cut the samples from the DVD using DGIndex.
    or mpeg2cut2
    Quote Quote  
  5. If there are even higher quality replacements do recommend! Thank you!
    VSgan, if you have enough time and vram (obviously after the deblending process)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Reclusive Eagle View Post

Last pieces of advice I'd like to ask are Chroma noise reduction.
    Depends on the type of chroma noise and source characteristics

Some filters have dedicated chroma denoising modes, but you can apply any "denoising" filter to the U,V planes (instead of Y, or YUV) using ShufflePlanes, and that is essentially selective chroma denosing
    Quote Quote  
  7. CCD for virtualdub is a good chroma denoiser
    Quote Quote