VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Video I've just sent is "Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies" from Weird Als video collection dvd, and is more messy than any PAL>NTSC conversion I have ever seen!

The beginning (one with al and TV screen) is available on bluray, so it is not very important to the story

What is important are all the following scenes.

3D animation is progressive, some of live footage is telecined, other is altered and it shows progressive video with interlaced scene changes. every time 3d camera moves, animation stays progressive but sometimes it has interlacing (?) artefacts. I am really confused as to what am I supposed to fix this. And let's not even mention the crappy video quality which also need alteribng
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would just QTGMC it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even a simple vlc deinterlace improves it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just enjoy the movie as is. I don't see the point in trying to "fix" it.

Parts of it are standard telecine; some of the animation is simple 15 fps progressive; the rotoscoped version of Al has blended fields and therefore would have to be recovered with SRestore. Things get really interesting when they composited the player with the audience in the background. The performer is animated at 15 fps, but is composited over 3:2 telecined.

It is what it is, and anything you do will make it worse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess that this was seen as quite 'clever' back in the day when it was released. Al, IIRC, did quite a few of these pastiche/homages but maybe not as complex as this one.

If you want to see the effect of a re-encode/de-interlace check out the official youtube version.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Here, try this.

You can use these TBilateral settings to denoise without losing detail. Its just a basic starting point and there are other denoisers for real world footage.
    TBilateral(diameterL = 5, diameterC = 5, sDevL = 0.6, sDevC = 0.6, csL = 1, CSC = 1, kernS = 2, kernI = 2)

QTGMC is for deinterlacing (These settings double fps)
    QTGMC(Preset="Very Slow", EdiThreads=3)

This is just to resize to 4:3 aspect ratio. IDK what the aspect ratio this was intended to be viewed at so replace the numbers.
    Spline64Resize(768,576)

Keep in mind if you've never used AVISynth before you need to download the filters on the wiki. These are all 64bit compatible
    Last edited by Reclusive Eagle; 16th Oct 2021 at 10:33.
    Quote Quote  
  7. keep in mind if you've never used AVISynth before you need to download the filters on the wiki. These are all 64bit compatible
    i have used it quite a lot actually
    Quote Quote  
  8. @Reclusive Eagle did you even watch the video? you recommended me double-framerate mode despite the fact that its telecined (badly)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    its telecined (badly)
    No, it's telecined quite well. It's a mix of 15p, 24p, 30p, and 30i material/effects -- often within the same frames. If you convert to 24p the 30p and 30i material will not be smooth. If you convert to 30p the 24p and 30i material will not be smooth. The only way to get something that plays as smoothly as the source is to double rate deinterlace it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    @Reclusive Eagle did you even watch the video? you recommended me double-framerate mode despite the fact that its telecined (badly)
    You realize I literally tested these exact settings on the video before posting right?
    And these exact settings give you perfect deinterlacing with a recommendation of noise reduction if you wanted to use some.

The double frame rate is a side effect from double weaving frames. Which if you didn't do and chose to throw a field away to keep frame rate, it would give you half the resolution of the current video, making it even worse. Now you have double frame rate at full resolution with the option to halve the frame rate at full resolution if you wanted to.
    Last edited by Reclusive Eagle; 16th Oct 2021 at 16:40.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Reclusive Eagle View Post
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    @Reclusive Eagle did you even watch the video? you recommended me double-framerate mode despite the fact that its telecined (badly)
    You realize I literally tested these exact settings on the video before posting right?
    And these exact settings give you perfect deinterlacing with a recommendation of noise reduction if you wanted to use some.

The double frame rate is a side effect from double weaving frames. Which if you didn't do and chose to throw a field away to keep frame rate, it would give you half the resolution of the current video, making it even worse. Now you have double frame rate at full resolution with the option to halve the frame rate at full resolution if you wanted to.
    you have also recommanded me to resize to 576px, despite the fact that this video is NTSC
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Reclusive Eagle View Post
    This is just to resize to 4:3 aspect ratio. IDK what the aspect ratio this was intended to be viewed at so replace the numbers.
    Spline64Resize(768,576)

If you scroll up and use your eyes, first you'd see you've given us 0 information about the video. Second you'll see what I actually said
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Reclusive Eagle View Post
    Originally Posted by Reclusive Eagle View Post
    Spline64Resize(768,576)

If you scroll up and use your eyes, first you'd see you've given us 0 information about the video. Second you'll see what I actually said
    i sent the video
    Quote Quote