VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well you have two choices

Peter Jackson or Truthler

Seriously tho I guess some heavy denoising etc will help but what is the source ?. I do not think this is the official video version.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well you have two choices

Peter Jackson or Truthler

Seriously tho I guess some heavy denoising etc will help but what is the source ?. I do not think this is the official video version.
    It is official, on 1+ Blu-ray.

Worst of all, it's the best looking version publicly available. Other versions are just VHS rips

It's also the only restored part of let it be film that hasn't been destroyed by denosing https://youtu.be/UocEGvQ10OE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you record it while playing it in VLC? It has an odd frame rate, is that a byproduct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post

It is official, on 1+ Blu-ray.

Ah. I only have the 1 disk version. (The 'good' stuff was on the 2nd disk)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Did you record it while playing it in VLC? It has an odd frame rate, is that a byproduct?
    Yep. Original framerate was NTSC 24p
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Yep. Original framerate was NTSC 24p
    Apologies, somehow I got two files mixed up. Not sure what I was looking at.
    Have you tried any restoration yourself, what do you think it needs ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for confusion, the VLC demuxing probably damaged some metadata resulting in good video and weird length and frame rate.

It definitely needs some denosing, but the problem is, which one to use
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for confusion, the VLC demuxing probably damaged some metadata resulting in good video and weird length and frame rate.

It definitely needs some denosing, but the problem is, which one to use
    I remuxed it in MKVtoolnix, it took care of the problems

I hear you. It's possible, if you have a decent GPU, to use HW acceleration and perhaps try NLmeans.
    My current PC does not, so using CPU only, the implementation in FFmpeg/Handbrake/Vidcoder is really slow.

There have been some interesting results in other threads, in some cases the posters were not exactly forthcoming
    about what they did
    Last edited by davexnet; 9th Oct 2021 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why do I 'hate' these topics

Now I saw that film many moons ago on tv. Never viewed it on VHS or DVD. But they 'exist' sometimes at stupid prices. But I need to see it so, I guess, I will risk the scammy versions (I already own 2 dvd sets of questionable source and a set of the 'Anthology' which might be genuine but there again dem Chinese are clever barstewards) and acquire one.

So I equally guess that the VHS might actually be better than the dvd. But I am not about to chuck the better part of £100 on this. Will take my chances on the dvd and hope they will not be as crappy as they appear to the OP (which could equally be poor PAL to NTSC conversions)
    Quote Quote  
  10. It can't be the original file - 1480x1080 is not BD compliant
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^Wasn't there a topic a week or so ago that discussed SAR and DAR which essentiantly, if memory serves, stated that as long as you set a DAR flag of 4:3 even on a 1920*1080 encode you end up with 1440*1080 display.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know why people are abscessed about removing noise, I like watching it the way it is, it reminds me of how the film quality was like back in that era. Minimum restoration like the example above is okay but washing it out to look like modern videos comes at a price.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Is there any way to make this video look better?
    What do you mean by "look better"? This?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  14. Personally, I would probably use something like
    Code:
    clip = lostfunc.DeSpot(o=clip)
    # removing grain using MCDegrain
    clip = mcdegrainsharp.mcdegrainsharp(clip=clip, frames=3, csharp=0.70, opencl=True)

wanting to get rid of the moving noise while keeping the general flair.

But depending on what you want you could also use something like:
    Code:
    # adjusting resolution before resizing 
    clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, w=740, h=540, kernel="lanczos", interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)
    from vsrealesrgan import RealESRGAN
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P16 to RGBS for VsRealESRGAN
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBS, matrix_in_s="709", range_s="limited")
    # resizing using RealESRGAN
    clip = RealESRGAN(clip=clip, device_type="cuda", device_index=0) # 1480x1080

Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Selur; 10th Oct 2021 at 04:42.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I don't know why people are abscessed about removing noise, I like watching it the way it is, it reminds me of how the film quality was like back in that era. Minimum restoration like the example above is okay but washing it out to look like modern videos comes at a price.
    i didn't mean removing noise, just stabilising it.. or even better, removing chrominance noise
    Last edited by rrats; 10th Oct 2021 at 04:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. just stabilising it.. or even better, removing chrominance noise
    TemporalDegrain, SMDegrain, MCDegrainSharp, MLDegrain should all be good at helping there with slightly adjusted settings from the defaults.
    (basically nearly all filters meant for grain removal)
    Last edited by Selur; 10th Oct 2021 at 04:57.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thank you Selur!
    Quote Quote  
  18. CCD for virtualdub cleans colour noise pretty well.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^Wasn't there a topic a week or so ago that discussed SAR and DAR which essentiantly, if memory serves, stated that as long as you set a DAR flag of 4:3 even on a 1920*1080 encode you end up with 1440*1080 display.
    This is not supported on Blu-Ray, it only supports 1:1 square pixels for 1920x1080 frame size . The encoded frame size in the same is 1480 width. 1480 is not a supported dimension
    Quote Quote  
  20. Handbrake probably cropped it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @pdr

OOPs. I did not appreciate the 1480 was thinking of 1440

@s-mp

Rather an odd way to grab something from a Blu-ray. If I may add.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Interesting that so many folks here are obsessing about the grain -- which is part of the nature of the original 16mm this was shot on -- but completely ignoring the huge hair in the gate.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Interesting that so many folks here are obsessing about the grain -- which is part of the nature of the original 16mm this was shot on -- but completely ignoring the huge hair in the gate.
    That seems like an easy problem to solve as the camera shown the most during the video is the Paul one
    Last edited by rrats; 10th Oct 2021 at 18:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Yeah. It kinda hits you in the eye

One would have thought that Apple would have cleaned it up a bit.

Content-wise I am now a somewhat confused bunny. I located my own BD copy (1 disk version) actually expecting to see the same clip that appears on 'The Anthology'. But it is not. That one is mostly McCartney singing with a few cutaways including the production team. It actually comes over as a promo for the film. The same clip appears on the bootleg dvds I acquired years ago (I suspect that these were made from Anthology)

I have purchased from flea-bay a dvd of 'Let in Be' so I will be curious as to what is on that in this respect.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Interesting that so many folks here are obsessing about the grain -- which is part of the nature of the original 16mm this was shot on -- but completely ignoring the huge hair in the gate.
    That seems like an easy problem to solve as the camera shown the most during the video is the Paul one
    What did you have in mind ? How would you "solve" it ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. What did you have in mind ? How would you "solve" it ?
    Mask made in Photoshop one of premiere pros image blend featires.

I've seen that being done on this sub before with avisynth filters too, tho I can't find the post
    Quote Quote  
  27. All a question how much time you are willing to spend on it.
    If you have the time you could also write Avisynth code to just blend or denoise stronger on just that part of the image.
    I did have code for that (applying a filter only to a specific rectangle of a frame to only specific frames) years ago, but lost it due to a hdd crash and never hat the modivation to write it again. (but I remember it was a pain to write )

You could also manually edit those few frame in some photo editing software.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So my 'dvd' arrived today. Honestly, I was not expecting much since I discovered after my previously posts that there exists no official dvd releases of this film.

Now the disk I received is a mess but that analysis is beyond this topic. What matters is the video quality and you might agree with me that it does not look too bad - not so happy with the ws conversion but you can not have everything.

Still puzzled why Apple released such crap on their own Blu Ray.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  29. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That LIB.mkv is crap, Wrong aspect ratio, black borders all around, noise bars from probably a x gen tape copy, very blurry ... etc
    Quote Quote