VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I would agree with your general assessment.

Maybe I should have added 'that it does not look too bad (when compared to the initial sample supplied by the OP)'

Clearly been through the hoop noise-reduction wise. The letter-boxing probably to mask the vhs head-noise. Plus an amateurish attempt to create 16:9 from 4:3 material (could not decide if it looked ok when forcing the AR back to 4:3)

There is a rumour that this original film will get an official, and presumably, restored version next year along with the physical media versions of the Peter Jackson 3-parter to be broadcast on Disney+ late next month.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Original 16mm release did get a remaster by Peter Jackson. Too bad they took away all the noise
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Not exactly.

He has been editing from the original unseen film stock. I watched the trailer and it looks too 'clean' so, yes, all the film grain has gone. Of course to meet current viewing conceptions we now have cropped 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1. i believe it was actually cropped from 1.65:1, judging from the sneak peek aspect ratio

2. yeah i used the wrong terminology

3. they overdenoised it. fab four looks like wax figures. the only thing they did well was colour correction
    Quote Quote