VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I have a lots of PAL mpeg2 films that I've ripped from commercial DVDs. I want to get them onto my 4-incg iPod and I have stumbled across one obstacle - encoding. I am really not sure as to which encoding settings I am supposed to use to get a nice but small h264 file.

A lot of the films I am trying to reencode are very sharp but also very grainy. I don't want to denoise them as high quality denoisers are very slow and I have a lots of films left.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try the preset Medium @ CRF 21
    Adjust CRF as necessary

My old AMD PC pretty slow also, encoded a 720p file in Vidcoder using NLMeans noise reduction,
    encoding speed was approx 25% of realtime
    Quote Quote  
  3. for SD resolution I'd go with CRF 18 as a maximum value
    Quote Quote  
  4. On a 4 inch1136x640 screen you probably won't see much difference between crf 18 and 21. Probably not even between the veryfast and medium presets. You may also find a GPU encoder is even faster and delivers adequate quality (depending on what CPU and GPU you have).
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th Oct 2021 at 18:56. Reason: add GPU info
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    onto my 4-incg iPod
    oh man, ...., ok
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    onto my 4-incg iPod
    oh man, ...., ok
    I use it as my main audio playback machine. Recently I have decided to put some films on it too as iPod doesn't have mobile data, and wifi isn't available everywhere
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    On a 4 inch1136x640 screen you probably won't see much difference between crf 18 and 21. Probably not even between the veryfast and medium presets. You may also find a GPU encoder is even faster and delivers adequate quality (depending on what CPU and GPU you have).
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  8. No problem, I just overlooked you mentioned 4" screen. I reacted to myself.
    Quote Quote