VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Avidemux is completely new to me. Just found it lately on Internet with search.

I have video which is ripped from VHS tape on DVD, done by a shop of this service. However some parts of the video are not clear, blurry (please refer to attached photo). Please advise how to fix it with Avidemux ?

I'm running Linux Ubuntu 20.04 desktop.
    Avidemux version - 2.7.8 (Qt 5)

OR is there any other solution? Thanks in advance

Regards
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would be better if you used avidemux to extract a section of the 'blurry' video (use 'copy' for video audio not so important) and upload that as an attachment.

But I would not raise you hopes in getting a clear picture. The two characters in the background will, IMO, never be totally restored.

If you have the original vhs then that may be better but the issue could already have been burnt in to the tape at the original transfer stage.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It would be better if you used avidemux to extract a section of the 'blurry' video (use 'copy' for video audio not so important) and upload that as an attachment.
    Could you please advise how to do it?

The attachment was made as follow;
    1. Play the .VOB file on VLC
    2. Pause the video
    3. Take a screen capture

But I would not raise you hopes in getting a clear picture. The two characters in the background will, IMO, never be totally restored.
    I couldn't resolve that not the complete video is blurry, only certain sections on the video. The rest video is quite clear without blurry.

If you have the original vhs then that may be better but the issue could already have been burnt in to the tape at the original transfer stage.
    The VHS tape was ripped from V8 tape. I still have several original V8 tapes on shelves in good condition. Before I took one V8 tape to the shop to rip it on DVD. Unfortunately the shop returned the V8 tape to me, saying the tape unable to turn. Besides the V8 tape was broken by the shop. I hesitate whether to give another V8 tape to the shop to rip it on DVD.

Is there any way to check whether the V8 tape can be turned/rotated. I don't have V8 player. Also my Sony V8 camera is broken.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Load vob in to avidemux - wait for indexing to finish.
    2. Play to start of 'blurry' part - click 'A' on the panel
    3. Play to end of sample part - click 'B' on the panel (1 minute of video will be enough)
    4. Select 'copy' for Video Output - may already be set
    5. Set Output Format as Mpeg-Ps Muxer
    5. Save video as .mpg
    6. Upload as an attachment
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The original camera was out of focus. How do you expect to fix that NOW?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Load vob in to avidemux - wait for indexing to finish.
    2. Play to start of 'blurry' part - click 'A' on the panel
    3. Play to end of sample part - click 'B' on the panel (1 minute of video will be enough)
    4. Select 'copy' for Video Output - may already be set
    5. Set Output Format as Mpeg-Ps Muxer
    5. Save video as .mpg
    6. Upload as an attachment
    vob4_ab_01.mpg

The file size is 3.9MB in about 15 sec

I have no idea whether it can be upload here

Regards
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The original video was taken with Sony V8 Video Camera

According to my recollection it was auto focus

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post

Regards
    Do you still have the original camera tape and camera that can play it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Regards
    Do you still have the original camera tape and camera that can play it?
    Yes, please refer to #3 above - my reply to DB83

I have the original V8 tapes in good condition viewed visually. But my Sony V8 Camera is unable to work even connected direct to the power supply. I'm happy sending the original V8 tapes to the shop to rip them to DVD. I'm now looking for a solution to check the V8 tapes able to turn/rotate.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that video sample you posted cut from the actual capture or is it a re-encode of some sort?
    The bitrate is a little low and the file looks poor. I think a fresh capture may help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for that video.

There are clearly 'focus' issues although the foreground chair is in focus. What also concerns me is the face of the male on the right where there top is partially clear and the lower part almost totally blurred out. I also do wonder whether the lights over-exposed the video.

Do you have a section of the same recording just before this one where everything is in focus - totally sharp ?. If you have may I ask you to do a longer section both with the sharp and the blurry bit.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is that video sample you posted cut from the actual capture or is it a re-encode of some sort?
    The bitrate is a little low and the file looks poor. I think a fresh capture may help
    Hi,

Yes, I'll do a fresh capture later.

The video sample mentioned was trimmed on the original VOB file and saved to HD while running Avidemux, not a re-encode version. The Avidemux is installed and running on Ubuntu 20.04 VM/Client of Oracle VirturalBox

The shop delivered me the DVD which consists of 4 VOBs files. Not all video on the files are unclear.

I read documents on Internet, saying AVS Video Editor can sharpen blurry video. AVS Video Editor only runs on Windows and I have installed it on a Windows 10 Home VM/Client of Oracle VirturalBox. I'll test it to check whether it is true ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  13. The file suffers from mpeg2 compression artefacts, best seen as blocks on moving objects (like waving hand). All details are lost. The damage has probably been done when convertig the VHS to DVD. The VHS tape should be properly captured (lossless) rather than converting it on the fly to mpeg2.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for that video.

There are clearly 'focus' issues although the foreground chair is in focus. What also concerns me is the face of the male on the right where there top is partially clear and the lower part almost totally blurred out. I also do wonder whether the lights over-exposed the video.

Do you have a section of the same recording just before this one where everything is in focus - totally sharp ?. If you have may I ask you to do a longer section both with the sharp and the blurry bit.
    OK, I trim another section of the same video on Avidemux and save the trimmed video on HD

New trimmed video - vob4_ab_01a.mpg - 12MB

Besides the VHS tape has been played multiple time on TV before its player broken down. There was no blurry problem. However the TV set was X-ray tube model and now it is a digital display.

Regards

Regards
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. A little sharper with an unsharpmask and protection for already sharp edges, noise reduction, deinterlacing, in AviSynth.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Re-reading again, you now state that the original camera Video8 was transferred to VHS and then the VHS to DVD ?

I had hoped to see the male sitting at the table before the first sample started. But there is evidence of the camera stopping and restarting.

The first sequence of the new sample is not that clear either so, as my friend points out, the damage was done during the transfer to DVD. That probably was done rather amateurishly and added a layer of noise from the VHS as well as low bitrate to get all the tape on one DVD disk.

So do confirm the transfer history. Just Video8 to DVD or Video8 to VHS to DVD. The original Video8 would give you the best picture but did you not say that was broken by the shop ? Another sign of a poor service.

But whatever you have really does need a new cleaner transfer. Surely there are firms even by mail in your country that do this work ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo strikes again

Now I can see that the male is wearing a mask or covering on his face which kinda threw me.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    The file suffers from mpeg2 compression artefacts, best seen as blocks on moving objects (like waving hand). All details are lost. The damage has probably been done when convertig the VHS to DVD. The VHS tape should be properly captured (lossless) rather than converting it on the fly to mpeg2.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Could you please explain in more detail. Is there any remedy to sort out the problem?

I'm interested converting the original V8 tapes to digital files myself. I have knowledge converting analogue video to digital but unfortunately I have no instrument to do the job.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Besides the VHS tape has been played multiple time on TV before its player broken down. There was no blurry problem. However the TV set was X-ray tube model and now it is a digital display.
    The VHS tape was most probably of a better quality than its poor digital DVD conversion which introduced blocking artefacts, blurred the picture even more and lost the details.
    Secondly, old CRT TVs were more forgiving with interlaced VHS sources. With digital high resolution TVs the defects and losses become much more apparent.

If the VHS is the original source (is it? or what format/medium did your camera produce?), you should re-capture the VHS lossless in a first step, and then encode and filter the capture with a decent encoder, off-line. This should give at least some improvement.

Edit:
    Ooops, while I was typing jagabo and DB83 chimed in
    Last edited by Sharc; 6th Oct 2021 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A little sharper with an unsharpmask and protection for already sharp edges, noise reduction, deinterlacing, in AviSynth.
    Hi,

Thanks for your help. The sharpness of the video on the right is better than the video on the left. Could you please advise how to do it? Thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - snip -

So do confirm the transfer history. Just Video8 to DVD or Video8 to VHS to DVD. The original Video8 would give you the best picture but did you not say that was broken by the shop ? Another sign of a poor service.

But whatever you have really does need a new cleaner transfer. Surely there are firms even by mail in your country that do this work ?
    I captured video with Sony V8 Video Camera. Afterwards I transferred the video from V8 tapes to VHS tapes myself. The video was quite clear and without problem when being played on X-ray tube TV. It was more than 20 years ago.

About one month ago I sent a VHS tape to a shop providing service ripping VHS tape on DVD. Afterwards I play the DVD on DVD writer of my PC and found some video being blurry, not clear.

That is the complete story.

Now I'm considering whether sending another VHS tape or V8 tape to another shop ripping it to DVD. But also I'm considering whether to do it myself. In the later case where can I find the instrument. Now I'm at cross-road but there is no urgency.

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 6th Oct 2021 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Allow me to contribute as to how jagabo worked his magic.

He used a tool called avisynth - I am just now wondering whether you meant this and not avidemux. Very different beasts.

Avisynth works by reading a script created for the selection of filters most suited for the job in hand. In this case unsharpen, noise reduction and deinterlacing. The script is then read by another program typically virtualdub which creates a new video.

I am sure that jagabo will share his script with you. That is the easy bit. The harder bit is collecting the various filters and, typically, many of these also rely on other filters to work. But if you can master it then you can create the video yourself without the need of another transfer.

The downside is that not all the tape might require the same script but it might still be worth trying if you are up to the task (or some kind person might volunteer and do it all for you)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VHS tape was most probably of a better quality than its poor digital DVD conversion which introduced blocking artefacts, blurred the picture even more and lost the details.
    Secondly, old CRT TVs were more forgiving with interlaced VHS sources. With digital high resolution TVs the defects and losses become much more apparent.

If the VHS is the original source (is it? or what format/medium did your camera produce?), you should re-capture the VHS lossless in a first step, and then encode and filter the capture with a decent encoder, off-line. This should give at least some improvement.
    Hi,

The V8 tape is the original source. I captured video with Sony Handycam PAL CCD-F380E. (Please see attached photo)

I have no idea about the format/medium of the video

Regards
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_handycam.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	685.4 KB
ID:	61166  

Quote Quote  
  24. The V8 tape is the original source. ....
    I see, thanks, sorry I missed your earlier explanation. Question is now whether the V8 or your VHS copies are in better condition to serve as a master for a new (and hopefully this time more professional) digitalization.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Allow me to contribute as to how jagabo worked his magic.

He used a tool called avisynth - I am just now wondering whether you meant this and not avidemux. Very different beasts.

Avisynth works by reading a script created for the selection of filters most suited for the job in hand. In this case unsharpen, noise reduction and deinterlacing. The script is then read by another program typically virtualdub which creates a new video.

I am sure that jagabo will share his script with you. That is the easy bit. The harder bit is collecting the various filters and, typically, many of these also rely on other filters to work. But if you can master it then you can create the video yourself without the need of another transfer.

The downside is that not all the tape might require the same script but it might still be worth trying if you are up to the task (or some kind person might volunteer and do it all for you)
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

A brief search found following links:-
    1)
    How to properly install and use AviSynth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw4Q5FIiEe0

2)
    AviSynth Install Guide
    https://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125120

3)
    Using AviSynth+ on POSIX systems
    https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlus/blob/master/distrib/docs/english/source/avisy...ting/posix.rst

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The V8 tape is the original source. ....
    I see, thanks, sorry I missed your earlier explanation. Question is now whether the V8 or your VHS copies are in better condition to serve as a master for a new (and hopefully this time more professional) digitalization.
    After having ripped V8 tapes on VHS tapes I haven't played the former anymore. I only played the VHS tapes because subtitles, background music and narration having been added on the VHS tapes but I haven't touched the original V8 tapes.

My problem is I haven't had instrument testing them.

Furthermore if the VHS tapes are in good condition I prefer to rip them on DVD because I have done a lot of work on VHS tapes.

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 6th Oct 2021 at 12:44.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Now I can see that the male is wearing a mask or covering on his face which kinda threw me.
    I think what looks a little like a mask is may just be blocking artifacts from MPEG compression.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Oct 2021 at 22:39.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    The sharpness of the video on the right is better than the video on the left. Could you please advise how to do it?
    The left side isn't sharpened, just deinterlaced. It's there so you can compare to the right side which is sharpened. I used an AviSynth script for both. The sharpened version was create with this script:

Code:

###########################################
    #
    # My custom UnSharpMask...
    #

function UnSharpMask(clip v, float radius, float strength)
    {
      blurry = v.BinomialBlur(VarY=radius, VarC=radius, Y=3, U=3, V=3) # or GaussianBlur
      edges = Subtract(v, blurry).ColorYUV(off_y=2).ColorYUV(cont_y=(int(strength*radius*256.0)-256.0))
      Overlay(v, edges.ColorYUV(off_y=-128), mode="Add")
      Overlay(last, edges.Invert().ColorYUV(off_y=-128), mode="Subtract")
      ColorYUV(off_u=-1, off_v=-1) #overlay is causing U and V to increase by 1
    }

Mpeg2Source("vob4_ab_01.d2v") 
    QTGMC(sharpness=0.5)
    SMDegrain (tr=9, thSAD=500, refinemotion=false, contrasharp=false, PreFilter=4, mode=0, truemotion=true, plane=4, chroma=true)
    emask = mt_edge(mode="prewitt", thy1=100, thy2=250).mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand().Blur(1.4)
    Overlay(UnsharpMask(2.0, 2.0), last, mask=emask)
    QTGMC() was used first to deinterlace the video. SMDegrain() was used to reduce a lot of the noise (because the later sharpening would greatly increase it) I was aiming at shapening the blurry portions of the picture while avoiding oversharpening the already sharp parts. I used mt_edges() etc. to build a mask of all the sharp edges in the source. A sharpened version of the video was created with UnSharpMask(). Overlay() was used to replace the areas that were not sharp in the original video with the sharpened video.

Regarding your Video8 to VHS to DVD process: it's terrible. You should go back to the original Video8 tapes if you still have them. Use a DVD recorder with a line time base corrector to clean the video (don't record to DVD, don't apply any other filters, just pass the signal through the recorder for time base correction) and capture uncompessed YUY2 of YV12 video on the computer. You'll get much better results that way - more detail, less noise, and sharper picture. You may not even need to sharpen in post.

<oops>
    I just checked the script I used for the side-by-side video -- the left side is deinteralaced with QTGMC and denoised with SMDegrain(). The right side is further sharpened as described.
    </oops>
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Oct 2021 at 23:55.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    jagabo strikes again

I know my eyes may not be the best but I don't see anyone wearing a mask.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Assuming good remaining tapes & equipment, all else being equal...

V8 --> computer file
    Is better than
    V8 --> VHS --> computer file
    which is better than
    V8 --> VHS --> DVD --> computer file

And lossless computer file
    Is better than
    lossy (standard) computer file.

Go back to the source! Simplest straight wire approach is least damaging. Only device that should go in the middle would be a TBC when necessary.

Scott
    Quote Quote