+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip
    I would select a shop with a good reputation (ask for references).
    It would be difficult for me to check which shop is reputable in this service. Previously Sony here provided ripping service but unfortunately they have already stopped it. The price which I am going to pay to this shop is more than double of that I paid to the first shop.

This shop which I am going to select is reputable in film development for years. They just add this ripping service. Besides it would be difficult for me asking for those technical service. The sales knows nothing about this technology. That is why I'm interested to do the ripping myself. Unfortunately I could not get the right device.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Once again, MP4 is a container. It's like ordering a bag for lunch rather than specifying what should be in the bag. The MP4 container can contain high quality or low quality video and audio. If you're just going to view the files as they are h.264 and aac can be ok. But if need to do any type of editing or filtering you want to avoid lossy compression. Go for lossless video codecs or at least low loss codecs like Prores. Those will require MOV or AVI containers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Once again, MP4 is a container. It's like ordering a bag for lunch rather than specifying what should be in the bag. The MP4 container can contain high quality or low quality video and audio. If you're just going to view the files as they are h.264 and aac can be ok. But if need to do any type of editing or filtering you want to avoid lossy compression. Go for lossless video codecs or at least low loss codecs like Prores. Those will require MOV or AVI containers.
    Provided I understand your advice correctly I should ask for either MOV or AVI containers ?

On the shop's price list they only indicate providing service to rip VHS or V8 on DVD or on USB thumb drive in .mp4 format. I don't know weather other formats such as MOV or AVI are also provided.

What about VOB? If I request ripping VHS or V8 to DVD the shop would provide VOB container/.VOB files on DVD disc

Edit
    ===
    My previous sample video was converted from .VOB to .mp4. Should I try again converting it to MOV or AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    ..... They just add this ripping service..... The sales knows nothing about this technology.....
    Oh well; sigh ....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Provided I understand your advice correctly I should ask for either MOV or AVI containers ?
    You dont' really care about the container. Ask for raw YUY2 or YV12 capture with lossless video compression and PCM audio. And make sure they don't capture to a lossy format (DVD, AVC/AAC in MP4) then convert to a lossless codec. You want to avoid any lossy compression before the files are given to you. And with lossless codecs you're looking at about 30 GB/hr. If they can't provide lossless video the next best would be a near lossless codec like ProRes -- which usually comes in MOV.

Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    On the shop's price list they only indicate providing service to rip VHS or V8 on DVD or on USB thumb drive in .mp4 format.
    That's for people who just want video that's ready to view. Not for someone looking to clean and edit the video.

What about VOB?
    VOB = DVD
    My previous sample video was converted from .VOB to .mp4.
    In posts 6 and 14 you uploaded MPG files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jagabo;2633885]
    - snip -
    You dont' really care about the container. Ask for raw YUY2 or YV12 capture with lossless video compression and PCM audio. And make sure they don't capture to a lossy format (DVD, AVC/AAC in MP4) then convert to a lossless codec. You want to avoid any lossy compression before the files are given to you. And with lossless codecs you're looking at about 30 GB/hr. If they can't provide lossless video the next best would be a near lossless codec like ProRes -- which usually comes in MOV.
    I would request ripping VHS/V8 tape to MOV and to be burned on DVD or on USB Thumb drive. I have no idea whether the shop can accept my request ?

On the shop's price list they only indicate providing service to rip VHS or V8 on DVD or on USB thumb drive in .mp4 format.
    That's for people who just want video that's ready to view. Not for someone looking to clean and edit the video.
    The sales only follow the price list to work. Other request wouldn't be considered. That is really my problem here.

In posts 6 and 14 you uploaded MPG files.
    Yes. I trimmed .mp4 file on avidemux. I wonder whether loading .mov file on avidemux the export video would be easier to clean and to edit? I can convert .mp4 to .mov running ffmpeg

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    The sales only follow the price list to work. Other request wouldn't be considered. That is really my problem here.
    That was exactly my concern/fear. Therefore the suggestion in post #60. If they would do this in good quality one could still convert it back to an editable format for post processing. Not the best way to do it, but perhaps worth a try if nothing else remains.
    Otherwise change the shop to one who knows what "capturing lossless" means.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - snip -
    Otherwise change the shop to one who knows what "capturing lossless" means.
    The only solution is to do it myself.

Here all shops (nowadays only a few remaining) only provide service ripping VHS or V8 tapes on DVD for playing the video. Other service they even don't know the technology.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - snip -

You still have a long way to go before you can use the script I gave. It requires several third party filters that you will have to download and install by putting their dll files in AviSynth+'s plugins folders. All the filters used work in 64 bits so I would concentrate on that (64 bit editors/encoders will use 64 bit AviSynth+ and 64 bit filters, 32 bit editors/encoders will use 32 bit AviSynth+ and 32 bit filters). You will need the following:

DGMpegdec: http://rationalqm.us/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html
    QTGMC: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC
    SMDegrain: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/SMDegrain

Note that QTGMC and SMDegrain both require several other third party filters. You'll need to go through the lists and download/install them all. Most of the dll and avsi files will go in "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+".

Not used in the script but good to have as an alternative to DgMpegdec is LSMASHSource: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/LSMASHSource

I recommend you use VirtualDub2 to view the results of your scripts. Or use Avspmod to edit/view scripts:

http://www.virtualdub2.com/
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153248

After all that you are ready to create and run a script.

If using Mpeg2Source() (as in my script) you first need to build an index of your MPG file. Start DgIndex, open your MPG file, and select File -> Save Project to create the d2v index.

Use a plain text editor to create a new script. Copy/paste the script I gave earlier. Save the file but specify the extension .AVS rather than .TXT.

Open the script in VirtualDub2 with File -> Open Video File... Do NOT use File -> Run Script... That is for VirtualDub's own scripting function. View the result of the script in VirtualDub2's input pane. The output pane should be identical (it shows the result of VirtualDub2's filtering, which you aren't using). With this complex setup it probably isn't going to work the first time but the error message you get should help you determine what's missing or wrong.

If you want to run quick test to verify that AviSynth+ is working create a script with just:

Code:
    version()
    And open it in VirtualDub2 or avspmod. You should get a video with just version information.
    Hi jagabo,

I have following 64 bit packages installed on Win10 VM of Oracle VirtualBox;
    Code:
    AviSynth
    AviSynth Plugins
    AvsPmod
    DGMPGDec
    Ut Video Codec
    VirtualDub
    I can start;
    Code:
    AvsPmod
    VirtualDub 2
    DGIndex
    (Please refers to attached screenshots)

Please advise how check AviSynth is working ? How can I type version() on VirtualDub 2 screen? Thanks

Where can I find documents learning to use AviSynth as beginner?

Regards
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2022-03-01.png
Views:	15
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	63589  

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2022-03-02.png
Views:	14
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	63590  

Name:	screenshot_2022-03-03.png
Views:	14
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	63591  

Quote Quote  
  10. To create a "version" script you should use AvsPmod. Start the program. Type version() in the New File tab. Press F5.

[Attachment 63597 - Click to enlarge]

Or you can use Notepad to create the script. Start Notepad. Type Version(). Save the script with File -> Save As. Be sure to name it with .AVS as the extension. Ie, Version.AVS, not Notepad's default extension of .TXT. Start VirtualDub2. Select File -> Open Video File. Navigate to where you saved version.avs and open it:

[Attachment 63600 - Click to enlarge]

General AviSynth info and tutorials:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/First_script
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started

All of this will be easier if you turn off Windows Explorer's "hide extensions" option. Open an Explorer windows. Select View -> Options -> Change Folder And Search Options. Switch to the View tab and turn off Hide Extensions For Know File Types. You'll now be able to see file extensions in Explorer.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Mar 2022 at 08:08.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To create a "version" script you should use AvsPmod. Start the program. Type version() in the New File tab. Press F5.

[Attachment 63597 - Click to enlarge]

Or you can use Notepad to create the script. Start Notepad. Type Version(). Save the script with File -> Save As. Be sure to name it with .AVS as the extension. Ie, Version.AVS, not Notepad's default extension of .TXT. Start VirtualDub2. Select File -> Open Video File. Navigate to where you saved version.avs and open it:

[Attachment 63600 - Click to enlarge]
    Thanks for your advice. I got them done. Please refers to the attached screenshots

Thanks. I'll go through them later.

All of this will be easier if you turn off Windows Explorer's "hide extensions" option. Open an Explorer windows. Select View -> Options -> Change Folder And Search Options. Switch to the View tab and turn off Hide Extensions For Know File Types. You'll now be able to see file extensions in Explorer.
    I suppose Windows Explorer=File Explorer

Where is "hide extensions" option? Pls refers to attached screenshot.

Do I need to install ffmpeg-2.1.1-win64-static.7z ?

Regrads

Name:	screenshot_avi3.png
Views:	15
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	63601  

Name:	screenshot_avi4.png
Views:	13
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	63602  

Name:	screenshot_w_explorer.png
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	63603  

Quote Quote  
  12. From Explorer select View -> Options -> Change Folder And Search Options

[Attachment 63604 - Click to enlarge]

In the dialog that pops up switch to the View tab and uncheck Hide Extensions...

[Attachment 63605 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From Explorer select View -> Options -> Change Folder And Search Options

[Attachment 63604 - Click to enlarge]

In the dialog that pops up switch to the View tab and uncheck Hide Extensions...

[Attachment 63605 - Click to enlarge]
    I got it. Thanks

On the popup "Folder Options" screen
    -> View
    uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
    -> Apply -> OK

To run your script on posting #28 above, whether perform following steps ?

1)
    Start DGIndex
    -> Open -> Select the video
    import it to the window of DGIndex

2)
    Start AvsPmod

Copy your script in the new File tab
    -> Press F5 to run the script

Then where and how to save the output video ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Use whatever encoder you want (that supports AVS scripts). VirtualDub2, for example. Open the script in VirtualDub, select and configure a codec (Video -> Compression), then File -> Save Video...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use whatever encoder you want (that supports AVS scripts). VirtualDub2, for example. Open the script in VirtualDub, select and configure a codec (Video -> Compression), then File -> Save Video...
    Performed following steps

1)
    Start AvsPmod

paste your script on it
    Code:
    ###########################################
    #
    # My custom UnSharpMask...
    #

function UnSharpMask(clip v, float radius, float strength)
    {
      blurry = v.BinomialBlur(VarY=radius, VarC=radius, Y=3, U=3, V=3) # or GaussianBlur
      edges = Subtract(v, blurry).ColorYUV(off_y=2).ColorYUV(cont_y=(int(strength*radius*256.0)-256.0))
      Overlay(v, edges.ColorYUV(off_y=-128), mode="Add")
      Overlay(last, edges.Invert().ColorYUV(off_y=-128), mode="Subtract")
      ColorYUV(off_u=-1, off_v=-1) #overlay is causing U and V to increase by 1
    }

Mpeg2Source("vob4_ab_01.d2v") 
    QTGMC(sharpness=0.5)
    SMDegrain (tr=9, thSAD=500, refinemotion=false, contrasharp=false, PreFilter=4, mode=0, truemotion=true, plane=4, chroma=true)
    emask = mt_edge(mode="prewitt", thy1=100, thy2=250).mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand().mt_expand().Blur(1.4)
    Overlay(UnsharpMask(2.0, 2.0), last, mask=emask)
    -> Save as -> script.avs

-> Press F5

Error

Plese refers to attached screenshot_error_1.png

2)
    Start VirtualDub2

-> Open -> may_home_orig.VOB (video)
    -> Run script

Also error
    Please refers to screenshot_error_2.png

Regards

Name:	screenshot_error_1.png
Views:	22
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	63609  

Name:	screenshot_error_2.png
Views:	22
Size:	1,021.0 KB
ID:	63610  

Quote Quote  
  16. The first error probably means you have the wrong version of DGDecode.dll in the Plugins64+ folder. Getting the right version of that filter may be difficult. Attached is the version I have been using. Try it.

The second error is because you used the wrong method of opening the AVS script. Use File -> Open Video File, not File -> Run Script (the latter is for VirtualDub2's own scripting language, not AviSynth). Or drag/drop your AVS script onto VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first error probably means you have the wrong version of DGDecode.dll in the Plugins64+ folder. Getting the right version of that filter may be difficult. Attached is the version I have been using. Try it.
    My running package here is - dgmpgdec2006.zip (before extraction)

The second error is because you used the wrong method of opening the AVS script. Use File -> Open Video File, not File -> Run Script (the latter is for VirtualDub2's own scripting language, not AviSynth). Or drag/drop your AVS script onto VirtualDub.
    I have tried it before

After starting VirtualDub2
    -> Open Video File

The only way running the script.avs is;
    File -> Run script

I couldn't paste your script on VirtualDub2 screen

-> Edit -> Paste
    without response

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  18. VirtualDub2:
    Start VirtualDub2
    Now just Drag and Drop your script.avs onto the VirtualDub window.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub2:
    Start VirtualDub2
    Now just Drag and Drop your script.avs onto the VirtualDub window.
    Hi,

Start VirtualDub2
    File -> Open Video File -> select may_home_orig.VOB (video)

On -> Documents (script.avs folder)
    Drag&Drop script.avs onto VirtualDub2 screen.

Error popup (please refers to attached screenshot

Regards

Name:	screenshot_vd2_error_1.png
Views:	20
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	63614  

Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Regards
    That's a 32/64 bit conflict.
    If you are using 64 bit VirtualDub you must decode the .d2v with the 64 bit version of dgdecode.dll which you find in the x64 folder of the dgmpgdec2006.zip
    See post#76.

Either make everything 64 bit or 32 bit, but don't mix wildly.

P.S.
    and just do as in post #78. You don't have to open the .vob separately in a 1st step. It will be opened by the script itself by Mpeg2Source("........")
    Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Mar 2022 at 07:53.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regards
    That's a 32/64 bit conflict.
    If you are using 64 bit VirtualDub you must decode the .d2v with the 64 bit version of dgdecode.dll which you find in the x64 folder of the dgmpgdec2006.zip
    See post#76.

Either make everything 64 bit or 32 bit, but don't mix wildly.

P.S.
    and just do as in post #78. You don't have to open the .vob separately in a 1st step. It will be opened by the script itself by Mpeg2Source("........")
    I'm a little bid confusing here

This is 64bit Windows 10

Packages installed;
    Pls refers to;
    screenshot_pkg_1.png
    screenshot_pkg_2.png

Whether I need to delele QTGMC-3.32.zip
    Download and install 64bit QTGMC ?

Regards

Name:	screenshot_pkg_1.png
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	63615  

Name:	screenshot_pkg_2.png
Views:	12
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	63616  

Quote Quote  
  22. No.
    Try to copy the dgdecode.dll from the x64 folder of dgmpegdec2006.zip to the plugins or plugins64+ subfolder of your avisynth installation.

And then try a very basic script with only this one line:
    MPEG2Source("vob4_ab_01.d2v")
    Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Mar 2022 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  23. That 2006 version of dgdecode.dll 64 bit is full of bugs. Use the one I uploaded.

Use AviSynth Info Tool to check your AviSynth installation.

<edit>
    Oops. It looks like I forgot to upload the more recent build of dgdecode.dll (64 bit) earlier. I'll attach it here.
    </edit>
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Mar 2022 at 09:17. Reason: added DgDecode64bit.zip
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That 2006 version of dgdecode.dll 64 bit is full of bugs. Use the one I uploaded.

dgmpgdec 2.0.0.6 is ok, it's an official update from DG (Aug 17 2021)

http://rationalqm.us/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html

What bugs are in the 2.0.0.6 version ? You should report them so he can fix them
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What bugs are in the 2.0.0.6 version ? You should report them so he can fix them
    I thought that was a 2006 (as in the year 2006) version.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

On account of too much problem on this 64bit Windows 10 VM of Oracle VirtualBox, I'm prepared cloning another new clean 64bit Windows 10 VM and to start again.

I'll follow below instruction;
    AviSynth Install Guide for Windows
    https://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=125120#p1546743

to proceed according to "Method I. Install AMVpack". Any comment before I start?

Thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Not a good idea. AviSynth 2.6 is outdated. And the 64 bit version was never very stable. You want a recent version of AviSynth+ instead.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not a good idea. AviSynth 2.6 is outdated. And the 64 bit version was never very stable. You want a recent version of AviSynth+ instead.
    OK.

Please advise other packages, additional to AviSynth+, I need to install ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by satimis View Post

Thanks
    See post #36, for example.
    But I doubt that a reinstallation will solve your issues. Did you try to replace the dgdecode.dll in the avisynth's plugin folder by its 64 bit version as recommended before?
    Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Mar 2022 at 12:10.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks
    See post #36, for example.
    I need;
    1. DGMpegdec: http://rationalqm.us/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html
    2. QTGMC: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC
    3. SMDegrain: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/SMDegrain
    4. VirtualDub2 to view the results of your scripts. Or use Avspmod to edit/view scripts:
    http://www.virtualdub2.com/
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153248
    (If install VirtualDub2 then leave out Avspmod ???)

What plugin packages I need to install ?

But I doubt that a reinstallation will solve your issues. Did you try to replace the dgdecode.dll in the avisynth's plugin folder by its 64 bit version as recommended before?
    No. I think it is better to start a new installation
    Quote Quote