+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip
    I would select a shop with a good reputation (ask for references).
    It would be difficult for me to check which shop is reputable in this service. Previously Sony here provided ripping service but unfortunately they have already stopped it. The price which I am going to pay to this shop is more than double of that I paid to the first shop.

This shop which I am going to select is reputable in film development for years. They just add this ripping service. Besides it would be difficult for me asking for those technical service. The sales knows nothing about this technology. That is why I'm interested to do the ripping myself. Unfortunately I could not get the right device.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Once again, MP4 is a container. It's like ordering a bag for lunch rather than specifying what should be in the bag. The MP4 container can contain high quality or low quality video and audio. If you're just going to view the files as they are h.264 and aac can be ok. But if need to do any type of editing or filtering you want to avoid lossy compression. Go for lossless video codecs or at least low loss codecs like Prores. Those will require MOV or AVI containers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Once again, MP4 is a container. It's like ordering a bag for lunch rather than specifying what should be in the bag. The MP4 container can contain high quality or low quality video and audio. If you're just going to view the files as they are h.264 and aac can be ok. But if need to do any type of editing or filtering you want to avoid lossy compression. Go for lossless video codecs or at least low loss codecs like Prores. Those will require MOV or AVI containers.
    Provided I understand your advice correctly I should ask for either MOV or AVI containers ?

On the shop's price list they only indicate providing service to rip VHS or V8 on DVD or on USB thumb drive in .mp4 format. I don't know weather other formats such as MOV or AVI are also provided.

What about VOB? If I request ripping VHS or V8 to DVD the shop would provide VOB container/.VOB files on DVD disc

Edit
    ===
    My previous sample video was converted from .VOB to .mp4. Should I try again converting it to MOV or AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    ..... They just add this ripping service..... The sales knows nothing about this technology.....
    Oh well; sigh ....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Provided I understand your advice correctly I should ask for either MOV or AVI containers ?
    You dont' really care about the container. Ask for raw YUY2 or YV12 capture with lossless video compression and PCM audio. And make sure they don't capture to a lossy format (DVD, AVC/AAC in MP4) then convert to a lossless codec. You want to avoid any lossy compression before the files are given to you. And with lossless codecs you're looking at about 30 GB/hr. If they can't provide lossless video the next best would be a near lossless codec like ProRes -- which usually comes in MOV.

Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    On the shop's price list they only indicate providing service to rip VHS or V8 on DVD or on USB thumb drive in .mp4 format.
    That's for people who just want video that's ready to view. Not for someone looking to clean and edit the video.

What about VOB?
    VOB = DVD
    My previous sample video was converted from .VOB to .mp4.
    In posts 6 and 14 you uploaded MPG files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jagabo;2633885]
    - snip -
    You dont' really care about the container. Ask for raw YUY2 or YV12 capture with lossless video compression and PCM audio. And make sure they don't capture to a lossy format (DVD, AVC/AAC in MP4) then convert to a lossless codec. You want to avoid any lossy compression before the files are given to you. And with lossless codecs you're looking at about 30 GB/hr. If they can't provide lossless video the next best would be a near lossless codec like ProRes -- which usually comes in MOV.
    I would request ripping VHS/V8 tape to MOV and to be burned on DVD or on USB Thumb drive. I have no idea whether the shop can accept my request ?

On the shop's price list they only indicate providing service to rip VHS or V8 on DVD or on USB thumb drive in .mp4 format.
    That's for people who just want video that's ready to view. Not for someone looking to clean and edit the video.
    The sales only follow the price list to work. Other request wouldn't be considered. That is really my problem here.

In posts 6 and 14 you uploaded MPG files.
    Yes. I trimmed .mp4 file on avidemux. I wonder whether loading .mov file on avidemux the export video would be easier to clean and to edit? I can convert .mp4 to .mov running ffmpeg

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    The sales only follow the price list to work. Other request wouldn't be considered. That is really my problem here.
    That was exactly my concern/fear. Therefore the suggestion in post #60. If they would do this in good quality one could still convert it back to an editable format for post processing. Not the best way to do it, but perhaps worth a try if nothing else remains.
    Otherwise change the shop to one who knows what "capturing lossless" means.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip -
    Otherwise change the shop to one who knows what "capturing lossless" means.
    The only solution is to do it myself.

Here all shops (nowadays only a few remaining) only provide service ripping VHS or V8 tapes on DVD for playing the video. Other service they even don't know the technology.

Regards
    Quote Quote