VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 151
Thread
  1. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Re 'The Mask'


    I was probably wrong but I just thought that the effect in the lower part of the man's face was moving as he moved his head. It was a lot clearer (to me) in the right side of the compare video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    The sharpness of the video on the right is better than the video on the left. Could you please advise how to do it?
    The left side isn't sharpened, just deinterlaced. It's there so you can compare to the right side which is sharpened. I used an AviSynth script for both. The sharpened version was create with this script:

    - snip -
    Hi,

    Thanks for your advice and script.

    I have AviSynthPlus_3.7.0_20210111_vcredist.exe download and installed on Windows10home VM/client of Oracle VirtualBox

    Path:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+

    selecting;
    AviSynth+ (x86)
    AviSynth+ (x64)
    Documentation - English
    Scripting Examples

    Installation went through without complaint.

    Please advise how to start it? Any additional software I need to install?

    I couldn't find it on -> App

    On searching I found them (please see attached screenshots)

    Thanks

    Regards
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_01.png
Views:	5
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	61175  

    Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_02.png
Views:	7
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	61176  

    Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_03.png
Views:	4
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	61177  

    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Assuming good remaining tapes & equipment, all else being equal...

    V8 --> computer file
    Is better than
    V8 --> VHS --> computer file
    which is better than
    V8 --> VHS --> DVD --> computer file

    And lossless computer file
    Is better than
    lossy (standard) computer file.

    Go back to the source! Simplest straight wire approach is least damaging. Only device that should go in the middle would be a TBC when necessary.

    Scott
    Thanks for your advice. It is clear to me

    Next week I'll send another V8 tape to another shop ripping it to DVD or .mp4 if possible. I'll show them the V8 tape being in good condition without broken.

    Meanwhile I'll try to enhance the blurry sections on the video, NOT the complete video being blurry, unclear

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Avisynth is not a program as such. It just processes the script. You load the script in to virtualdub and save a new video. Virtualdub then 'runs' avisynth one frame at a time (so for a long video and a complex script it will take some time to complete)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    My problem is I haven't had instrument testing them.
    So - if you want to do the digitization yourself - the first step would be to look for equipment with which can playback your media (V8 and/or your VHS tapes) to check the condition of the same. As V8 is your original it would be the 1st choice.

    Furthermore if the VHS tapes are in good condition I prefer to rip them on DVD because I have done a lot of work on VHS tapes.
    I understand that you have processed (edited) your VHS tapes, adding audio tracks, text and similar which you want to keep. So if you trust that the VHS tapes are in reasonable condition you may look for a VHS player (normally a VCR), and a capture device such as Hauppauge USB live2. Use VirtualDub or AmarecTV on your PC as capturing SW and install a lossless codec like Huffyuv or Lagarith or similar in order to capture the tapes losslessly. This gives you a first impression of the quality which you can expect from the VHS tapes, and you could upload a captured sample here to collect more advice about how to proceed further, like adding a DVD recorder in passthrough mode, filtering etc.

    VHS players (VCR) and DVD recorders are normally found on ebay or similar. Some caveats though regarding the models and trustful sources/sellers.
    How to do the tape capturing has been discussed in this forum many times. Be prepared for a steep learning curve.

    The last resort is to try to fix your current DVD files with scripts as proposed by jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I have AviSynthPlus_3.7.0_20210111_vcredist.exe download and installed on Windows10home VM/client of Oracle VirtualBox

    Path:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+

    selecting;
    AviSynth+ (x86)
    AviSynth+ (x64)
    Documentation - English
    Scripting Examples

    Installation went through without complaint.

    Please advise how to start it? Any additional software I need to install?
    You still have a long way to go before you can use the script I gave. It requires several third party filters that you will have to download and install by putting their dll files in AviSynth+'s plugins folders. All the filters used work in 64 bits so I would concentrate on that (64 bit editors/encoders will use 64 bit AviSynth+ and 64 bit filters, 32 bit editors/encoders will use 32 bit AviSynth+ and 32 bit filters). You will need the following:

    DGMpegdec: http://rationalqm.us/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html
    QTGMC: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC
    SMDegrain: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/SMDegrain

    Note that QTGMC and SMDegrain both require several other third party filters. You'll need to go through the lists and download/install them all. Most of the dll and avsi files will go in "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+".

    Not used in the script but good to have as an alternative to DgMpegdec is LSMASHSource: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/LSMASHSource

    I recommend you use VirtualDub2 to view the results of your scripts. Or use Avspmod to edit/view scripts:

    http://www.virtualdub2.com/
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153248

    After all that you are ready to create and run a script.

    If using Mpeg2Source() (as in my script) you first need to build an index of your MPG file. Start DgIndex, open your MPG file, and select File -> Save Project to create the d2v index.

    Use a plain text editor to create a new script. Copy/paste the script I gave earlier. Save the file but specify the extension .AVS rather than .TXT.

    Open the script in VirtualDub2 with File -> Open Video File... Do NOT use File -> Run Script... That is for VirtualDub's own scripting function. View the result of the script in VirtualDub2's input pane. The output pane should be identical (it shows the result of VirtualDub2's filtering, which you aren't using). With this complex setup it probably isn't going to work the first time but the error message you get should help you determine what's missing or wrong.

    If you want to run quick test to verify that AviSynth+ is working create a script with just:

    Code:
    version()
    And open it in VirtualDub2 or avspmod. You should get a video with just version information.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your advice.

    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    My problem is I haven't had instrument testing them.
    So - if you want to do the digitization yourself - the first step would be to look for equipment with which can playback your media (V8 and/or your VHS tapes) to check the condition of the same. As V8 is your original it would be the 1st choice.

    Furthermore if the VHS tapes are in good condition I prefer to rip them on DVD because I have done a lot of work on VHS tapes.
    I understand that you have processed (edited) your VHS tapes, adding audio tracks, text and similar which you want to keep. So if you trust that the VHS tapes are in reasonable condition you may look for a VHS player (normally a VCR), and a capture device such as Hauppauge USB live2. Use VirtualDub or AmarecTV on your PC as capturing SW and install a lossless codec like Huffyuv or Lagarith or similar in order to capture the tapes losslessly. This gives you a first impression of the quality which you can expect from the VHS tapes, and you could upload a captured sample here to collect more advice about how to proceed further, like adding a DVD recorder in passthrough mode, filtering etc.
    I wonder whether there is a player which works with VHS tape and V8 tape? My consideration is to rip the VHS tape first. If the result is poor then rip the V8 tape.

    Additional to the VHS/V8 player I also need a VHS/V8 to Digital Converter. I'll rip the tapes direct to PC in .mp4 format.

    VHS players (VCR) and DVD recorders are normally found on ebay or similar. Some caveats though regarding the models and trustful sources/sellers.
    I came across them occasionally on Internet searching. The second-hand player is not expensive but the shipping cost to Hong Kong is not cheap. How many magnetic heads of the player are suitable for me, 4 heads or 8 heads?

    Besides here the electricity voltage is 200v, I wonder whether Ebay player works on 200v as well without problem ?

    How to do the tape capturing has been discussed in this forum many times. Be prepared for a steep learning curve.
    Yes I understand. I already have a collection of technical information and documents via Internet searching. At the very beginning I prepared to do the ripping myself. Later I gave up because unable finding a reliable player.

    The last resort is to try to fix your current DVD files with scripts as proposed by jagabo.
    I'll do it in top priority. There is no urgency for me to rip all VHS/V8 tapes.

    Remark
    =====
    I have performed a test running AVS Video Editor, on Windows10 Home VM/Client of Oracle VirturalBox, to sharpen the sample video but the result is not good. Part of the sample video is still blurry.

    Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 7th Oct 2021 at 10:05.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Avisynth is not a program as such. It just processes the script. You load the script in to virtualdub and save a new video. Virtualdub then 'runs' avisynth one frame at a time (so for a long video and a complex script it will take some time to complete)
    Now it is clear to me Avisynth not a program

    Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I wonder whether there is a player which works with VHS tape and V8 tape?
    No.

    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    My consideration is to rip the VHS tape first. If the result is poor then rip the V8 tape.
    The VHS tape will have more horizontal jitter, more noise, and less detail. The v8 tape will give better results if the player and tape are in decent condition.

    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I'll rip the tapes direct to PC in .mp4 format.
    mp4 is a container. What matters is how the video and audio are compressed within it. You don't want to use lossy compression (like MPEG 2, h.264). You want to use a lossless codec like huffyuv, lagarith, ut video codec. Otherwise you will lose lots of detail that and you can't get it back later. I don't know which of those are allowed in mp4. You usually want to use AVI for the cap.

    You really want a line time base correcter in the analog chain. That will reduce the horizontal jitter giving much cleaner caps. If your tapes are in bad condition you want full frame TBC as well.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Lot of thanks for your advice and your time spent to help me.

    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    - snip -
    You still have a long way to go before you can use the script I gave. It requires several third party filters that you will have to download and install by putting their dll files in AviSynth+'s plugins folders. All the filters used work in 64 bits so I would concentrate on that (64 bit editors/encoders will use 64 bit AviSynth+ and 64 bit filters, 32 bit editors/encoders will use 32 bit AviSynth+ and 32 bit filters). You will need the following:

    - snip -
    Whether I can put aside "32 bit editors/encoders will use 32 bit AviSynth+ and 32 bit filters"? Concentrate on 64 bits ?

    My immediate need is finding a tutorial in re how to use AviSynth. I have been searching hard on Internet in this direction. To my much regret not many relevant documents on Internet can be found. I found following threads;

    1)
    How to properly install and use AviSynth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw4Q5FIiEe0
    AviSynth_260
    AviPmod_v2.5.1

    2)
    AviSynth Install Guide
    https://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125120

    3)
    Using AviSynth+ on POSIX systems
    https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlus/blob/master/distrib/docs/english/source/avisy...ting/posix.rst

    4)
    Software Video Frameservers Avisynth 2.6.0 / 2.6.1 Alpha
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Avisynth

    Would 1) above be suitable for me to follow? Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I wonder whether there is a player which works with VHS tape and V8 tape?
    No. But you can use your SONY camera to play the V8 tapes, unless the SONY camera is broken. The camera has analog S-Video and Composite (Cinch) outputs AFAIK.
    For the VHS tapes you will need (buy, rent or borrow from a friend) a separate player (normally a VCR).

    Additional to the VHS/V8 player I also need a VHS/V8 to Digital Converter
    Yes. I suggested to use a Hauppauge USB live2 as a digitizer, for example. It's simple, affordable and the quality is quite ok in my experience.
    Once you have this working you may want to add a line TBC (like a DVD recorder in passthrough mode) for eliminating the line jitter of the VHS.
    Last edited by Sharc; 7th Oct 2021 at 10:57.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    My immediate need is finding a tutorial in re how to use AviSynth. I have been searching hard on Internet in this direction. To my much regret not many relevant documents on Internet can be found.
    Start here:
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/First_script
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started
    etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    No. But you can use your SONY camera to play the V8 tapes, unless the SONY camera is broken. The camera has analog S-Video and Composite (Cinch) outputs AFAIK.
    For the VHS tapes you will need (buy, rent or borrow from a friend) a separate player (normally a VCR).
    Unfortunately my Sony V8 Video Camera is broken. It doesn't work even connected directly to the supply, its door for inserting the cassette unable to open. There is no sight of live. The supple is working with output. I have checked it with a voltage meter.

    I have asked my friends about their VHS players and V8 cameras. All of my friends have dumped their broken instruments.

    Other advice noted and thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    My immediate need is finding a tutorial in re how to use AviSynth. I have been searching hard on Internet in this direction. To my much regret not many relevant documents on Internet can be found.
    Start here:
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/First_script
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started
    etc.
    Your advice noted. Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip -
    Additional to the VHS/V8 player I also need a VHS/V8 to Digital Converter
    Yes. I suggested to use a Hauppauge USB live2 as a digitizer, for example. It's simple, affordable and the quality is quite ok in my experience.
    Whether you suggested this device

    USB-Live2
    Analog Video Digitizer
    USB-Live2: USB video capture, display and DVD burning for your Windows PC
    https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_usblive2.html

    I wonder whether to buy a second hand Sony V8 Video Camera to rip the video on the V8 cassette tapes direct to PC. There are lot of this camera for sales on carousell.com.hk

    https://www.carousell.com.hk/p/80%E2%80%99s-sony-v8-vintage-handy-cam-1043543550/

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Whether you suggested this device

    USB-Live2
    Analog Video Digitizer
    USB-Live2: USB video capture, display and DVD burning for your Windows PC
    https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_usblive2.html
    Yes, this one.
    Of course you don't need it when your PC already has an internal capture card/digitizer with S-video and/or Composite inputs.

    I wonder whether to buy a second hand Sony V8 Video Camera to rip the video on the V8 cassette tapes direct to PC. There are lot of this camera for sales on carousell.com.hk

    https://www.carousell.com.hk/p/80%E2%80%99s-sony-v8-vintage-handy-cam-1043543550/
    That's a possibility. The risk is the quality (good condition) of the used equipment which you purchase.......
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip -
    Of course you don't need it when your PC already has an internal capture card/digitizer with S-video and/or Composite inputs.
    Whether you meant PCI VIDEO CAPTURE CARDS ?

    PCI VIDEO CAPTURE CARDS
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pci+video+capture+cards

    No I don't have this card on my computer

    I wonder whether to buy a second hand Sony V8 Video Camera to rip the video on the V8 cassette tapes direct to PC. There are lot of this camera for sales on carousell.com.hk

    https://www.carousell.com.hk/p/80%E2%80%99s-sony-v8-vintage-handy-cam-1043543550/
    That's a possibility. The risk is the quality (good condition) of the used equipment which you purchase.......
    That is my problem. I could find it out only after having the old video camera purchased and used

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Whether you meant PCI VIDEO CAPTURE CARDS ?

    PCI VIDEO CAPTURE CARDS
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pci+video+capture+cards

    No I don't have this card on my computer
    Yes. Something like these.
    Some GraphicCards do also provide S-video and/or Composite inputs for the digitization of analog sources. Check the manual and the connectors on your PC.
    If there's nothing you need an external converter/digitizer which is usually more fool-proof than trying to upgrade your PC by adding internal cards.

    AFAIK there exist also Digital8 camcorders which can play Video8 analog tapes, digitize these and output it digital (DV) via firewire (in case your PC has a firewire port). This is not a recommendation, just a note.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Don't buy an HD capture device for capturing SD. The SD on those devices is an afterthought and won't work well with VHS's unstable time base.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Oct 2021 at 07:14.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Don't but an HD capture device for capturing SD. The SD on those devices is an afterthought and won't work well with VHS's unstable time base.
    Thanks for your advice.

    I would rip V8 tapes direct on PC, forgetting the VHS tapes. There is a risk on all my V8 tapes, unable to rotate/turn
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Don't but an HD capture device for capturing SD. The SD on those devices is an afterthought and won't work well with VHS's unstable time base.
    Thanks for your advice.

    I would rip V8 tapes direct on PC, forgetting the VHS tapes. There is a risk on all my V8 tapes, unable to rotate/turn
    V8 has poor time base just like VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip -
    AFAIK there exist also Digital8 camcorders which can play Video8 analog tapes, digitize these and output it digital (DV) via firewire (in case your PC has a firewire port). This is not a recommendation, just a note.
    Did you mean following camcorders

    Sony Digital8 Camcorders
    https://www.ebay.com/b/Sony-Digital8-Camcorders/11724/bn_2451082

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    - snip -
    V8 has poor time base just like VHS.
    Anything I can do?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Use a line time base corrector. Many old DVD recorders had one that works in passthrough. Like the Panasonic ES10 or ES15.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    - snip -
    V8 has poor time base just like VHS.
    Anything I can do?
    As has been said before, you may for example insert a DVD Recorder in passthrough mode (acting as TBC, Time Base Corrector) between the VHS (or V8) player and the capture device/digitizer (like the Hauppauge USB-live 2). But this can be done in a second step. Firstly I would just care how to bring the analog signal into your PC and see what you get and upload a captured sample here. You can improve with extra gear later. Just my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip -
    AFAIK there exist also Digital8 camcorders which can play Video8 analog tapes, digitize these and output it digital (DV) via firewire (in case your PC has a firewire port). This is not a recommendation, just a note.
    Did you mean following camcorders

    Sony Digital8 Camcorders
    https://www.ebay.com/b/Sony-Digital8-Camcorders/11724/bn_2451082

    Regards
    Don't know which ones (if any) are capable to play and convert analog Video8 to DV. You must study the specs and data sheets.
    Also, some of these are NTSC only. You need a device which is PAL compliant as all your Tapes are PAL as far as I remember.
    Last edited by Sharc; 8th Oct 2021 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Also, a lot of D8 camcorders have a line TBC function when playing V8 tapes. And with PAL video the DV 4:2:0 chroma subsampling isn't a problem. To "capture" (more like a file transfer) you'll need a PCIe firewire card based on the Texas Instruments chip.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    - snip -
    AFAIK there exist also Digital8 camcorders which can play Video8 analog tapes, digitize these and output it digital (DV) via firewire (in case your PC has a firewire port). This is not a recommendation, just a note.
    Did you mean following camcorders

    Sony Digital8 Camcorders
    https://www.ebay.com/b/Sony-Digital8-Camcorders/11724/bn_2451082

    Regards
    Don't know which ones (if any) are capable to play and convert analog Video8 to DV. You must study the specs and data sheets.
    Also, some of these are NTSC only. You need a device which is PAL compliant as all your Tapes are PAL as far as I remember.
    Thanks for your advice.

    I'll check their spec before purchase. I need a device playing PAL tape.

    Next week I'll send a V8 tapes to another shop ripping the video on a USB thumb drive on .mp4 checking the result. Or any other format suggested by you? Or still on DVD disc? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Also, a lot of D8 camcorders have a line TBC function when playing V8 tapes. And with PAL video the DV 4:2:0 chroma subsampling isn't a problem. To "capture" (more like a file transfer) you'll need a PCIe firewire card based on the Texas Instruments chip.
    Could you please explain in more detail? Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Next week I'll send a V8 tapes to another shop ripping the video on a USB thumb drive on .mp4 checking the result. Or any other format suggested by you? Or still on DVD disc?
    In my opinion, .mp4 should be fine and is well supported by today's playback HW and SW devices. .mp4 is a container (wrapper, envelope, box) for the video and audio.
    I would expect (or suggest) that the shop encodes the video as AVC (h.264, mpeg4) and the audio as AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) which are widely supported formats these days, and wraps this into an .mp4 container. Encoding the video as AVC (mpeg4) will principally avoid many of the ugly artifacts (like blocks, loss of details) which you got with your DVD (which is mpeg2) variant.
    Still there are issues and pitfalls like deinterlacing (or keeping it interlaced) and adequate filtering which depends on the skills (and taste) of the shop. Let them make an example and upload the result (few seconds video) here for comments.
    I would select a shop with a good reputation (ask for references).

    Added:
    You may also ask the shop for a "lossless" version. This will give very big files though, but the best starting point for doing your own post processing later on.
    Last edited by Sharc; 9th Oct 2021 at 03:38.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads