VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I'm new to using Video DownloadHelper (using Firefox browser). I am struggling to download a video file with audio. I can download the video but the audio is missing. Can someone please walk me through how I can download the video with audio? The video is at https://www.courttv.com/title/1-wi-v-dahmer-defense-opening-statement/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. HTML Code:
    youtube-dl -F https://manifest.prod.boltdns.net/manifest/v1/hls/v4/clear/6009760719001/c31cf290-f197-4674-9948-a24d29ef4819/10s/master.m3u8?fastly_token=NjE4MTU3YmVfZTljMmUwMDMwZmQ0ODI1ZjBhNGY0NzAyNjVhODRlOWUzZjBlOWVmZGJhZTM5YTc4NzI1NjZlMjAxZjk3NWYwYg%3D%3D
    [generic] master: Requesting header
    [generic] master: Downloading m3u8 information
    [info] Available formats for master:
    format code        extension  resolution note
    audio-0-en__Main_  mp4        audio only [en]
    audio-1-en__Main_  mp4        audio only [en]
    audio-2-en__Main_  mp4        audio only [en]
    563                mp4        360x270     563k , avc1.42000d, video only
    874                mp4        480x360     874k , avc1.420016, video only
    1129               mp4        480x360    1129k , avc1.4d0016, video only
    1458               mp4        640x480    1458k , avc1.4d001e, video only
    2009               mp4        640x480    2009k , avc1.4d001e, video only
    2339               mp4        640x480    2339k , avc1.4d001e, video only (best)
    HTML Code:
    youtube-dl -f audio-2-en__Main_ "https://manifest.prod.boltdns.net/manifest/v1/hls/v4/clear/6009760719001/c31cf290-f197-4674-9948-a24d29ef4819/10s/master.m3u8?fastly_token=NjE4MTU3YmVfZTljMmUwMDMwZmQ0ODI1ZjBhNGY0NzAyNjVhODRlOWUzZjBlOWVmZGJhZTM5YTc4NzI1NjZlMjAxZjk3NWYwYg%3D%3D"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jpin View Post
    Hi there,

I'm new to using Video DownloadHelper (using Firefox browser). I am struggling to download a video file with audio. I can download the video but the audio is missing. Can someone please walk me through how I can download the video with audio? The video is at https://www.courttv.com/title/1-wi-v-dahmer-defense-opening-statement/

Thank you.
    use the firefox add0n called the stream detector, use it to grab the master.m3u8 file to download the video with youtube-dl.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Jpin View Post
    Hi there,

Thank you.
    use the firefox add0n called the stream detector, use it to grab the master.m3u8 file to download the video with youtube-dl.
    Thank you for your help. I will try as advised.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pedrothelion View Post
    HTML Code:
    youtube-dl -F https://manifest.prod.boltdns.net/manifest/v1/hls/v4/clear/6009760719001/c31cf290-f197-4674-9948-a24d29ef4819/10s/master.m3u8?fastly_token=NjE4MTU3YmVfZTljMmUwMDMwZmQ0ODI1ZjBhNGY0NzAyNjVhODRlOWUzZjBlOWVmZGJhZTM5YTc4NzI1NjZlMjAxZjk3NWYwYg%3D%3D
    [generic] master: Requesting header
    [generic] master: Downloading m3u8 information
    [info] Available formats for master:
    format code        extension  resolution note
    audio-0-en__Main_  mp4        audio only [en]
    audio-1-en__Main_  mp4        audio only [en]
    audio-2-en__Main_  mp4        audio only [en]
    563                mp4        360x270     563k , avc1.42000d, video only
    874                mp4        480x360     874k , avc1.420016, video only
    1129               mp4        480x360    1129k , avc1.4d0016, video only
    1458               mp4        640x480    1458k , avc1.4d001e, video only
    2009               mp4        640x480    2009k , avc1.4d001e, video only
    2339               mp4        640x480    2339k , avc1.4d001e, video only (best)
    HTML Code:
    youtube-dl -f audio-2-en__Main_ "https://manifest.prod.boltdns.net/manifest/v1/hls/v4/clear/6009760719001/c31cf290-f197-4674-9948-a24d29ef4819/10s/master.m3u8?fastly_token=NjE4MTU3YmVfZTljMmUwMDMwZmQ0ODI1ZjBhNGY0NzAyNjVhODRlOWUzZjBlOWVmZGJhZTM5YTc4NzI1NjZlMjAxZjk3NWYwYg%3D%3D"
    pedrothelion, I'm not sure what the above means and what it is you are asking me to do? I don't know any programming. Thanks for your help nevertheless.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Jpin View Post
    pedrothelion, I'm not sure what the above means and what it is you are asking me to do? I don't know any programming. Thanks for your help nevertheless.
    When you watch a video on the internet, a lot of the times it has a "source" file called mpd/manifest or m3u8 (they have the same function, but are different standards). That mpd or m3u8 file contains information about all of the different video and audio qualities. There are programs, like youtube-dl, that can read that file and present you all the different video/audio in a readable way. Then, you can tell that program to download any/all of those streams. He gave you a command that will download only the audio. You need to download youtube-dl, put it in a folder, open cmd in that folder (just type cmd and press enter in the address bar of the folder) and type that program in the black window. It will download the audio.
    ytdlp is probably a better alternative as of late to youtube-dl and you can just switch
    Code:
    -f audio-2-en__Main_
    with
    Code:
    -f bv+ba
    and it will download the best video and best audio and also merge them for you.
    But this will require another program, ffmpeg, to be in the same folder as ytdlp.
    Also, that command might not work because the link to the mpd might expire.
    So you will to find a new mpd link, using the Developer tools in your browser, then the network tab.

Welcome to the fun, and what might seem as somewhat complex world of Video Streaming Downloading
    Last edited by [ss]vegeta; 3rd Oct 2021 at 16:04.
    Quote Quote  
  7. too many words in public environment ...
    better through PM, if you want provide all these explanations ...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Plus youtube-dl default behaviour is much different to yt-dlp behaviour with regard to 'best' v + a.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Plus apparently youtube-dl is pretty much defunct by now... (Hasn't been updated in months.)

too many words in public environment ...
    What would be the risk here ? Especially if the explanations concern the basic use of a publicly available tool...

@Jpin
    To complete the above explanations from “pedrothelion” and “[ss]vegeta” : when typing “youtube -F [URL]” (with upper-case “F”), it will display a list of all available formats it detected (if it did recognize the link), which is what you can see in post #2. Then you choose whichever format you want, or combination of video + audio formats, for the actual download, with “youtube-dl -f [video ID]+[audio ID] [URL] -o [file name]” (notice that it is a lower-case “f” in this case, it's a bit confusing but that's how it is, that's always been the case). If I'm not mistaken yt-dlp works the same with regards to listing available formats (with “-F”) and requesting the download of specific format(s) (with “-f”) ; but unless I missed something, yt-dlp is not readily available as a standalone .exe file, which makes it quite complicated to install for a newbie already struggling with the very notion of command line utility.
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 4th Oct 2021 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Plus apparently youtube-dl is pretty much defunct by now... (Hasn't been updated in months.)

too many words in public environment ...
    What would be the risk here ? Especially if the explanations concern the basic use of a publicly available tool...

@Jpin
    To complete the above explanations from “pedrothelion” and “[ss]vegeta” : when typing “youtube -F [URL]” (with upper-case “F”), it will display a list of available formats it detected (if it did recognize the link), which is what you can see in post #2. Then you choose whichever format you want, or combination of video + audio formats, for the actual download, with “youtube-dl -f [video ID]+[audio ID] [URL] -o [file name]” (notice that it is a lower-case “f” in this case, it's a bit confusing but that's how it is, that's always been the case). If I'm not mistaken yt-dlp works the same with regards to listing available formats (with “-F”) and requesting the download of specific format(s) (with “-f”) ; but unless I missed something, yt-dlp is not readily available as a standalone .exe file, which makes it quite complicated to install for a newbie already struggling with the very notion of command line utility.
    Pre-compiled yt-dlp here: https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/latest/download/yt-dlp.exe

Inviato dal mio SM-G970F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Last edited by pedrothelion; 4th Oct 2021 at 13:21.
    Discord Sei#0555
    Quote Quote  
  11. Oh thanks, I did miss something ! (What else did I miss ? Everything is hit or miss these days, I miss the days when even a miss felt like a hit, nowadays I always feel like s*it...)
    Quote Quote