VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Trying to create a User Data .iso from a DVD using IsoBuster. The DVD itself plays fine with no noticeable issues through both VLC and a DVD player, but during extraction with IsoBuster, I'm getting a massive amount of damaged sector messages, with the resulting VOB files being playable but mostly black frames.

I have single block transfer retries set to 1 which I believe is the default for the software. Also I'm not sure if this is standard but due to the amount of sector retries, the extraction took close to 20 hours...

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong or how I can solve the issue would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the source dvd, a commercial disk or something you burned?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I believe it's commercial. Would this imply there's copy-protection? Not very experienced in this area.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnkins View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I believe it's commercial. Would this imply there's copy-protection? Not very experienced in this area.
    Almost certainly
    Quote Quote  
  5. I understand it's probably not good form to discuss extracting copy-protected material. But I have permission from the owners of the material to extract it (marketing DVD from the University I work for). But I assume IsoBuster intentionally does not include a feature to get around this kind of protection?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnkins View Post
    I understand it's probably not good form to discuss extracting copy-protected material. But I have permission from the owners of the material to extract it (marketing DVD from the University I work for). But I assume IsoBuster intentionally does not include a feature to get around this kind of protection?
    I'm not a 100% sure (I don't use it), but I think your assumption is correct.

What are you trying to do? Copy the whole disk, including menus, any special features, etc, etc,
    or just make a backup of the main movie?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The intention is to create an .iso to serve as a digital surrogate for archival purposes which from my discussion with other archival institutions is best practice. Was then going to extract the video with MakeMKV for access purposes.

If it's a copy protection issue then at least my issue has a known cause. Is this the expected result from attempting to create an iso from a protected disc? (i.e. corrupted video files full of black frames)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, it does not (include a feature to get around this kind of protection). So if your title has CP, ISOBuster could likely have issues ripping it, and even if succesful, it has no decryption facility, so you would be left with files that are undecodable.

However, if paired with a decrypting application driver, such as AnyDVD, the disc would appear to the ISOBuster app as a simpler, decrypted title, and should be fully rippable and readable. Within limits - some discs have nonstandard extensions to CP, which may be too much for either app to handle. If so, try a different decrypter as they use different strategies/methods/algorithms. Dvddecrypter, DVDFab, Makemkv, etc.
    Since those aren't drivers like anydvd is, you would just rip directly with them or rip to ISO and use ISOBuster on the iso.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 5th Oct 2021 at 15:44.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes this is the result you should expect.

Try either these of to read the disk and create an ISO
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Decrypter (this is quite old, may not work if the DVD is a recent release)
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab

Or there is this, Anydvd, which installs a driver and removes the protection on the fly
    allowing you to treat the DVD in realtime as of it were not protected at all
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/AnyDVD
    Last edited by davexnet; 1st Oct 2021 at 15:10.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay safe to say my issue is copy-protection, good to know.

Thanks both for the software suggestions. I'll try each of them and see which produces a successful result.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Another one to add to Scott's list is Win-X DVD Copier, from Digiarty. It often has success with commercial DVDs, and can rip directly to an ISO format. (I don't think it is covered in the Tools section here, not sure why.) I've used and liked it.

Sometimes you need to cycle through a few of these programs to find the one that works -- or works best -- in a particular case. I have a license for MakeMKV and like it, but as with the others I have seen it get stymied by certain sources. The Digiarty apps turn up occasionally as freebie promos on either GiveAwayoftheDay or SharewareOnSale (similar and competing websites), which can offer a lot of marginal or not-of-much-interest items but also will have a real find from time to time, so it can be worthwhile to keep tabs on both of them. The freebie licenses can be 3-month, 6-month, 1-year or unlimited -- it varies.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote