VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm getting rather sick and tired of this same old problem, and am rather frustrated that it seems no video editing programmers have bothered to put any effort into fixing this.

When I use video editing software, it is of upmost importance to me that IT CAN OPEN THE DAMN FILES I WANT TO WORK ON!!!!

I don't understand why programmers can't seem to grasp this rather basic concept.....if the program can't open the media, IT'S USELESS!!!!

So yet again, here I am trying to edit a file in Sony Vegas, and I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE OUT WHY IT WON'T OPEN IT!!!!

The thing that baffles me is that I've downloaded 2 videos from youtube, same settings, and one imports, one doesn't. They both play fine in VLC. Now VLC....there's a pretty good piece of software, you open a video file, AND IT JUST OPENS IT!!!!!! WHY CAN'T VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE BE MORE LIKE VLC!?!?!?!??!?

Anyways - mediainfo on the file that won't open:
    [Attachment 61038 - Click to enlarge]

How can I get Vegas to just open the damn thing?

And is there anyway to get to a point that I don't have to spend hours and hours every damn time I just want to open a damn file! This is getting rather frustrating! I just want a video editing software that will just work!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VLC Player has it's own codec library and will open all sorts of files your average editor won't.

Can you copy and paste the Mediainfo "Text" view and post it here; that will reveal a lot more about the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's doubtful Vegas would open AV1 video
    Quote Quote  
  4. AV1 is a new video codec, editing software needs to be updated to support it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed the AV1 codec from Microsoft but I couldn't open an AV1 file in Movie Edit Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Great.....another useless codec that offers me nothing new except new headaches since Vegas can't make a version of software that will just work.....

Ok - what's the best option to convert this to something that Vegas will open? Googling shows me lots of "free" converter softwares that I'm "free" to pay for once I install it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DaVinci Resolve opens AV1 files. (At least the few I've downloaded.)
    Shutter Encoder is a great ffmpeg based converter. (And yes, you should contribute if you like it.)

If VLC opens your files, can't you use it to export to something Vegas friendly?

Start there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I installed the AV1 codec from Microsoft but I couldn't open an AV1 file in Movie Edit Pro.
    Movie Edit Pro probably can't find and use codecs other than those that Magix provided with it.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Great.....another useless codec that offers me nothing new except new headaches since Vegas can't make a version of software that will just work.....
    Like many consumer video editors, Vegas is geared towards editing recordings from consumer video cameras. I don't think that AV1 is used by many cameras yet.

AV1 is mostly used for streaming video, and (as previously mentioned) it is rather new. VLC is for watching video, including streaming video, so including AV1 makes sense. Since AV1 uses a royalty-free licensing model, open-source projects like VLC are able to use it for decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I didn't try, but ffmpeg based Shotcut may help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Usually_Quiet
    Movie Edit Pro probably can't find and use codecs other than those that Magix provided with it.
    It can. I'm using LAGS, HUFF, UT, Magic as well as a obscure codec is enabled by FFDShow; all external to MEP.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake and AVIDemux will open AV1s. You could use either to re-encode/convert to H264/X264.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    I'm getting rather sick and tired of this same old problem, and am rather frustrated that it seems no video editing programmers have bothered to put any effort into fixing this.

When I use video editing software, it is of upmost importance to me that IT CAN OPEN THE DAMN FILES I WANT TO WORK ON!!!!

I don't understand why programmers can't seem to grasp this rather basic concept.....if the program can't open the media, IT'S USELESS!!!!

So yet again, here I am trying to edit a file in Sony Vegas, and I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE OUT WHY IT WON'T OPEN IT!!!!

The thing that baffles me is that I've downloaded 2 videos from youtube, same settings, and one imports, one doesn't. They both play fine in VLC. Now VLC....there's a pretty good piece of software, you open a video file, AND IT JUST OPENS IT!!!!!! WHY CAN'T VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE BE MORE LIKE VLC!?!?!?!??!?

Anyways - mediainfo on the file that won't open:
    [Attachment 61038 - Click to enlarge]

How can I get Vegas to just open the damn thing?

And is there anyway to get to a point that I don't have to spend hours and hours every damn time I just want to open a damn file! This is getting rather frustrating! I just want a video editing software that will just work!
    try converting to h264 with handbrake
    Quote Quote  
  14. By the way, some years ago there used to be a VLC video editor project, what happened to it, did it get scrapped ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Usually_Quiet
    It can. I'm using LAGS, HUFF, UT, Magic as well as a obscure codec is enabled by FFDShow; all external to MEP.
    You mentioned that the AV1 codec you installed was from Microsoft. Has the AV1 codec worked with any software that is not from Microsoft? Past experience with some of Microsoft's decoders taught me that not all are available to non-Microsoft software.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Shotcut will open the AV1 (webm) file and edit with no issues. It is updated regularly and is not to hard to use. There are plenty of tutorials on the site and on the web.
    Quote Quote