VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Forgive me, no, I didn't. I liked the simplicity of DB83's solution and it worked so I didn't try yours. The description seemed rather long and complicated. Sorry!
    Well, at first you seemed kinda angry but determined, willing to put some effort into getting exactly the expected result... The solution I proposed would restore all timestamps (not only the creation timestamp) and wouldn't require nearly as much time and extra storage space (if you want to edit ten 5GB files you need an extra 50GB for the sole purpose of restoring the creation timestamps afterwards, and copying such a large amount of data on the same volume not only takes a while but is also a quite strainful operation for a hard disk drive, I don't do dat if there is any way to avoid it). I put extra details to clarify how it works (especially for users not accustomed to Robocopy) and warn of potential caveats I discovered along the way, but it's very simple to execute in practice. Two small scripts — one to create empty copies, one to restore timestamps. Only the paths must be replaced, then it's a set-and-forget method. (Another extra detail : if User Account Control is activated, you might need to run the scripts “elevated”.)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, sorry my friend. But I feel honoured that the OP adopted my modest suggestion.

But you do yourself few favours by adding conditions that the OP may never have considered. Or where did he state that he would edit ten 5 gb files at a time or copy such a quantity on the same disk volume ?

He might even have considered that he does not want to create his edits in another folder (even on the same volume) since that initself adds another layer of potential confusion/complexity.
    Quote Quote  
  3. abolibibelot, thank you very much for the clarification of the advantages of your solution, I can appreciate the benefits now.

I will make an effort to read through your instructions again and give it a try, and will let you know how I get on.

Call it a disability if you like, but I must admit that I am a bit of a dummy in some ways, and I often struggle to focus on lengthy text instructions (even ones that are well-written). I'm a terribly slow reader, struggle to follow books, and long texts hurt my brain. That's why DB83's solution grabbed me, as it's simpler and better suited to a "dummy".

But I truly appreciate both solutions given and it's great to have two options! I will definitely be giving yours a go. Thank you both, and thanks for bearing with my peculiarities.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Perhaps we should strive to fulfill this prophecy :
    [Attachment 61184 - Click to enlarge]

(I spent an insane amount of time this evening looking for that particular picture in the mess of my main HDD — that's how stubborn I am.)
    (Courtesy of xkcd.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Aargh! I think that nightmarish image was designed to make my brain hurt!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use the date time utility from this site. It will batch vhange created modified to the encoded/tagged metadata dates. If your videos do not have encoded/tagged dates, batch create/change them from the created modified windows dates. Then they will forever have the dates you can edit and change back from them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use Date Time Change on this site https://www.videohelp.com/download/Change_Date_Time_1_17_06_08.zip

Use the ORIGHINAL Video's Encoded/Tagged Metadata to copy to your edited files for the original video created dates set by most cameras. This works in batch mode also.
    If your videos are missing the Encoded/Tagged metadata then copy the windows dates that you like from your original files to the metadata. Now ths videos have Metadata that can be used to change the edited files.

It is designed to change Windows dates from Metadata or metadat from windows dates. There is also a manual mode. Yolu can add the date to the file name or not.
    Quote Quote