VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On another forum, I was recommended this method to upscale some of my videos. The method that I used was "Nearest Neighbor" resize where I do a "Same as Source" aspect ratio option with another resize filter with "Lanzcos3", "Compute Height from Ratio" and the "Y Value" being 100%. I had been looking other methods of upscaling my gaming videos and I am starting to think this method might be outdated and it may not be good for me in the long run. I also want to trim my videos as I do not want to make any longplays as much as I want to do individual levels. What is a better method to do this type of work? Should editors like PowerDirector? Or should I use something like FFMPEG or AVISynth? 3D images are not the same as pixel art so I want to know what should do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    On another forum, I was recommended this method to upscale some of my videos. The method that I used was "Nearest Neighbor" resize where I do a "Same as Source" aspect ratio option with another resize filter with "Lanzcos3", "Compute Height from Ratio" and the "Y Value" being 100%. I had been looking other methods of upscaling my gaming videos and I am starting to think this method might be outdated and it may not be good for me in the long run. I also want to trim my videos as I do not want to make any longplays as much as I want to do individual levels. What is a better method to do this type of work? Should editors like PowerDirector? Or should I use something like FFMPEG or AVISynth? 3D images are not the same as pixel art so I want to know what should do?
    Too vague

It depends... on what your goals are, what kind of video games, what video format, what kinds of edits (just cuts or do you need more like transitions, overlays, or more fancy stuff? ) , what programs you prefer and why

Maybe start with why you are upscaling in the first place
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    Too vague

It depends... on what your goals are, what kind of video games, what video format, what kinds of edits (just cuts or do you need more like transitions, overlays, or more fancy stuff? ) , what programs you prefer and why

Maybe start with why you are upscaling in the first place
    I wanted to upscale it to meet Youtube's standards for HD but I also wanted to keep the aspect ratio. I mostly wanted to utilize PlayStation games and upwards and I mostly use Virtualdub2 to uspcale the clips that create rom those videos.
    Quote Quote  
  4. PS1 games ?

If they are 4:3 , you don't need to do anything special such as pillarbox - YT supports them directly e.g. 960x720 is 4:3, you don't need 1280x720 pillarbox

Why don't you test it on a short sample and see if it looks ok ?

Point Resize is to preserve blocky pixel look, for things like dos games, pixel art scaling. There are dozens different types of algorithms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel-art_scaling_algorithms

For the scaling it depends on your goals - what do you want it to look like ? There are "AI" / machine learning based algorithms for game upscaling too - that can completely transform the look, making them almost look like modern games - but they are generally much slower. So if "time spent" was part of your criteria you might factor that into your decision
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will have to give a shot. The truth is I am a little afraid as I do not want to screw it up really badly but I will try my usual method a shot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What exactly do you mean by "3D" images? Real-life images? 3D CGI images? Stereoscopic 3D images? Those might all have different resize requirements.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant 3D CGI images like the ones used in video games or movies.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Some examples of non-antialiased pixel art enlarge 4x:

[Attachment 61037 - Click to enlarge]

Note that antialiased graphics will give different results.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    For the resizing size, If the source video is 4:3 just resize to 1440x1080 square pixel, YouTube will display it in perfect 4:3 ratio. I find Lanzcos3 gives better visual quality after YouTube compression is applied compared to other resizing techniques.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    For the resizing size, If the source video is 4:3 just resize to 1440x1080 square pixel, YouTube will display it in perfect 4:3 ratio.
    What look best depends on the algorithm that's used. PointResize() will look best with integer scaling of pixel art video. So a 320x240 source won't look good at 1440x1080 (4.5x scaling). Enlarging by 4x and adding borders to 1440x1080 will look better.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I find Lanzcos3 gives better visual quality after YouTube compression is applied compared to other resizing techniques.
    Not for pixel art from emulators of old video games. Lanczos looks horrible what that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Sep 2021 at 12:07.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It depends on the "look" he is going for, the specific game, the type of sprites, type of dithering, shading model, pallette used, type of art styles

Sometimes there are mods that re-texture in-game, and there are various "AI" models to transform them

eg. Because old games used a limited color pallette, they used techniques like dithering to create "shades" of fake colors

"De-dithering" is an "in" thing for older retro games in some circles- it's using algorithms that interpolating the blocky dithering patterns and "fill" them as if it had used a pallette with more colors in the first place

original
    [Attachment 61051 - Click to enlarge]

lanczos3
    [Attachment 61052 - Click to enlarge]

ESRGAN PixelPerfectV4
    [Attachment 61053 - Click to enlarge]

But on the other end of the spectrum is retaining the blocky pixel classic look

There are mods that go the other way - they create blocky pixellated minecraft-like look from modern games - transforming them to "retro" style
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some examples of non-antialiased pixel art enlarge 4x:

nnedi3 one hurts
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    can you send me a snippet of the video you are trying to resize
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

nnedi3 one hurts
    I guess everyone's tastes are different, for me that's the best one.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    can you send me a snippet of the video you are trying to resize
    Sorry I am late. Here it is.

Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

nnedi3 one hurts
    Speaking of which, what would be a good compression method for the final .mp4 and .mkv export? I do not want it to look terrible.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote