VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello to all
    as much as I am studying hard, I am unable to answer correctly to some doubts I have.

my goal is to convert some mkvs i have (with HDR/dolby vision in case of 4K movies) to blu ray video, so i can play them with the player on tv.

I tried tsmuxer, but although I correctly generate the BDMV structure, the player does not read them. I found that it depends on some factors, first of all the resolution of the source file which must be correctly at 1080p (or 2160p in the case of UHD files).
    tsmuxer doesn't do the resolution adjustment, so it's not a viable way for me.

i tried dvdfab, but despite my pc is powerful it takes a really long time to generate files; plus I would like software that runs on *unix.

I also tried multiAVCHD but it often tells me that the video file is not supported and therefore does not work, but even this does not automatically compliant the requirements of a blu ray video.

I know that I could directly burn the mkv file as blu ray data, but I like more the idea of ​​having a disc with a universal format and not risk that one day the file will not be read again.

so what can i do to achieve my goal?
    is there something I'm wrong or maybe I missed?

thank anyone who can help me solve my dilemma
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shellD0ne View Post
    Hello to all
    as much as I am studying hard, I am unable to answer correctly to some doubts I have.

my goal is to convert some mkvs i have (with HDR/dolby vision in case of 4K movies) to blu ray video, so i can play them with the player on tv.

I tried tsmuxer, but although I correctly generate the BDMV structure, the player does not read them. I found that it depends on some factors, first of all the resolution of the source file which must be correctly at 1080p (or 2160p in the case of UHD files).
    tsmuxer doesn't do the resolution adjustment, so it's not a viable way for me.

i tried dvdfab, but despite my pc is powerful it takes a really long time to generate files; plus I would like software that runs on *unix.

I also tried multiAVCHD but it often tells me that the video file is not supported and therefore does not work, but even this does not automatically compliant the requirements of a blu ray video.

I know that I could directly burn the mkv file as blu ray data, but I like more the idea of ​​having a disc with a universal format and not risk that one day the file will not be read again.

so what can i do to achieve my goal?
    is there something I'm wrong or maybe I missed?

thank anyone who can help me solve my dilemma
    I have not seen an easy-to-use UHD HDR to Blu-ray video conversion app for Linux or another 'nix.

If Linux is acceptable, you could use FFmpeg along with x264's command-line interface encoder to produce video that matches the Blu-ray spec. However, you will need to learn to use scripting for that. Although I have read a few threads on this subject, I have not done this kind of conversion myself and know hardly anything about FFmpeg, so I can't help you with this to any great degree. You should search VideoHelp and doom9 for clues and plan on doing a lot of studying and testing, unless somebody who knows much more than I do finds your thread.

See https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1827936&postcount=12 for a sample FFmpeg command line that converts from HDR to SDR. A LUT (look-up table) is used to convert HDR10 to SDR, but there is no universal LUT that is good for every video. I haven't seen a technique that works for converting from DolbyVision to SDR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Sep 2021 at 16:19.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote