VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using DVD Shrink to rip my DVDs over the years, and I can't tell if something's changed or I did something wrong or I just never noticed this issue enough...

While watching a ripped movie iso on my Windows 10 Pro, I notice during camera panning that there's a stutter or a hesitancy in the pan, as if the camera person is kind of wiggling a bit, as if they slow speed for a fraction of a second to take another step, then it speeds up to normal, then keeps doing this in a cycle. The faster the pan is, the more noticeable this "hesitancy" is. It's almost like the panning is "stumbling" through.

It doesn't look like frame-rate loss, though I've read that it may have something to do with interlacing, or the video was encoded at 30 frames per second (FPS) when the movie's in 24... however, I'm far removed from being knowledgeable anymore on video technology, and I get lost in previous posts which seem to get into old software and versions I'm not very familiar with. I'm honestly not sure how to check for these things or all of what I'm looking at, but I'll leave a screenshot of some settings I found that may be related:

[Attachment 60983 - Click to enlarge]

My version of DVD Shrink is 3.2.0.15 (yah it's old but it rips 99% of my DVDs), and I typically make two rips of the DVD: one of the entire disk uncompressed to ISO, then I pop the disc out and load up that ISO to a virtual disc drive, then use DVD Shrink on that, find the movie title, then rip that uncompressed to its own ISO (in case I want to just start up the movie in DVD quality). The only other customizations I make are to remove all audio and captions except for the main English one (because that's the only language I speak), but I don't think that has anything to do with the pan-stumble issue.

I play the movie back with VLC, and right now I'm on version 3.0.16... however, I remember being annoyed at the pan stumbling for years, maybe 10 haha. My VLC settings are pretty basic, mostly at the default, and I haven't set any video options except "Always fit to window" and "1:1 Original". I honestly don't remember if the issue happens on my old DVD player, but there's a good chance it doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vidahera View Post
    I've been using DVD Shrink to rip my DVDs over the years, and I can't tell if something's changed or I did something wrong or I just never noticed this issue enough...

While watching a ripped movie iso on my Windows 10 Pro, I notice during camera panning that there's a stutter or a hesitancy in the pan, as if the camera person is kind of wiggling a bit, as if they slow speed for a fraction of a second to take another step, then it speeds up to normal, then keeps doing this in a cycle. The faster the pan is, the more noticeable this "hesitancy" is. It's almost like the panning is "stumbling" through.

It doesn't look like frame-rate loss, though I've read that it may have something to do with interlacing, or the video was encoded at 30 frames per second (FPS) when the movie's in 24... however, I'm far removed from being knowledgeable anymore on video technology, and I get lost in previous posts which seem to get into old software and versions I'm not very familiar with. I'm honestly not sure how to check for these things or all of what I'm looking at, but I'll leave a screenshot of some settings I found that may be related:

[Attachment 60983 - Click to enlarge]

My version of DVD Shrink is 3.2.0.15 (yah it's old but it rips 99% of my DVDs), and I typically make two rips of the DVD: one of the entire disk uncompressed to ISO, then I pop the disc out and load up that ISO to a virtual disc drive, then use DVD Shrink on that, find the movie title, then rip that uncompressed to its own ISO (in case I want to just start up the movie in DVD quality). The only other customizations I make are to remove all audio and captions except for the main English one (because that's the only language I speak), but I don't think that has anything to do with the pan-stumble issue.

I play the movie back with VLC, and right now I'm on version 3.0.16... however, I remember being annoyed at the pan stumbling for years, maybe 10 haha. My VLC settings are pretty basic, mostly at the default, and I haven't set any video options except "Always fit to window" and "1:1 Original". I honestly don't remember if the issue happens on my old DVD player, but there's a good chance it doesn't.
    you may need to rip the disc using an up to date decrypter such as dvdfab or makemkv
    dvdshrink does not remove all the copy protections. dvdfab has an option to fix interlaced dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My suggestion is to make available an untouched part of the video, a steady pan as you described earlier. 10 seconds or so will be plenty. You can cut it using DGIndex. It sounds like wrong field order to me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. you may need to rip the disc using an up to date decrypter such as dvdfab or makemkv

Which version of DVDFab do you use? I have DVDFab 9 which I use for discs that I can't rip using DVD Shrink, but I've heard that the latest version is like $300.

I downloaded the MakeMKV install file, and ran it through VirusTotal, which showed me a warning:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/51f3655c89ba5f5fbc05cbd97addf85c7949ee07303f37e048...9380/detection

What's your thoughts on that?

dvdshrink does not remove all the copy protections.
    I'm not sure copy protection is an issue or related; I can rip most DVDs completely no problem, and play them as ISOs in VLC as if they're in a DVD player, menus and extra features etc. That's not something I'm having an issue with. The issue is camera pan wobbliness (?).

dvdfab has an option to fix interlaced dvds.
    Where are you seeing this option? I'm not seeing anything in Preferences about de-interlacing. Maybe you can state the steps needed to see this? Or show a screenshot? I'd post the screenshots of my settings here but there's 5 tabs and they all seem irrelevant.

My suggestion is to make available an untouched part of the video, a steady pan as you described earlier. 10 seconds or so will be plenty. You can cut it using DGIndex. It sounds like wrong field order to me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's probably VLC.

If it's a "film" at 23.976, you're playing it back at 29.97 , so there is a duplicate frame every 5th frame. There is no "Inverse Telecine" option for VLC, which DVD players do

The closest thing in VLC is to set yadif 2x or bob, and that will return 59.94, but you will get standard 2:3 judder (23.976p in 59.94p), and the image will be slightly degraded, because it's deinterlaced . North American's are used to 3:2 judder, and have been living with it for years. It's less bad than duplicates every 5th frame

A smarter player is MPV, which IVTC's on the fly , returning the original full quality 23.976p film frames. But if you watch on a 60Hz display (not some cinema display, or judderless display which supports refresh rates like 120Hz, 119.88Hz, etc..) , the display will cause the judder anyways because the refresh rate is at 60Hz or 59.94Hz (leading to 3:2 judder again )
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it's a "film" at 23.976, you're playing it back at 29.97 , so there is a duplicate frame every 5th frame. There is no "Inverse Telecine" option for VLC, which DVD players do
    Then what does that option do ?
    [Attachment 61029 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't recall seeing that IVTC option in VLC...That should do it too . Give it a try
    Quote Quote  
  8. MPV does seem to play the video properly without pan stumble... I now only notice the typical artifacts that I see from any DVD player.
    Last edited by vidahera; 1st Oct 2021 at 23:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    If it's a "film" at 23.976, you're playing it back at 29.97 , so there is a duplicate frame every 5th frame. There is no "Inverse Telecine" option for VLC, which DVD players do
    Then what does that option do ?
    [Attachment 61029 - Click to enlarge]
    I enabled this in VLC, and the stumbling is less pronounced, but it's still annoying and sometimes nauseating.

I also notice that VLC video output quality looks worse than MPV; I don't know how VLC can make such a great interface but not be as good with video output

The problem with MPV is that it's yet another app to use, and for some reason it has no menu to open a file with... it makes me go find the file in Windows File Explorer then drag and drop it onto the interface, which is obnoxious. I feel like a child finishing a tabletop puzzle haha

Any other suggestions? Maybe just some DVDs are so poorly encoded that it's hard for VLC to cover them as well. If I can just get the movies to rip in the frame rate they were meant to be played in, and the players to play them in that same frame rate... why isn't this all just happening by default in these programs?!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a video sample that shows the problem ? 15 seconds should be enough
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Can you post a video sample that shows the problem ? 15 seconds should be enough
    Hehe, I already asked and was ignored. Maybe you'll have more success.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't expect people to waste their time – please upload a sample. This is not a guessing game.
    Quote Quote  
  13. A video sample of which? VLC with IVTC on or off?

Also, since there's so many other Deinterlace options, and money other options in VLC, I was hoping someone understood it there well enough to suggest the next best try... I really don't see any reason why VLC can't play the video properly, though I'm not sure how showing you what I'm describing in a 15-second clip will change what someone would suggest.

Can you suggest anything else I should try in VLC while I try to figure out how to make this clip? Sorry I'm not an expert on this.
    Quote Quote  
  14. [QUOTE=october262;2632591]
    Originally Posted by vidahera View Post
    dvdshrink does not remove all the copy protections. dvdfab has an option to fix interlaced dvds.
    Can you explain what DVD Shrink missing copy protection has to do with the camera pan stumbling (wobbling? wumbling? I don't know the best word, but my OP describes it pretty well)?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by vidahera View Post

The problem with MPV is that it's yet another app to use, and for some reason it has no menu to open a file with... it makes me go find the file in Windows File Explorer then drag and drop it onto the interface, which is obnoxious. I feel like a child finishing a tabletop puzzle haha
    Yes it is another app, but if something sucks or is broken, why continue to use it ? VLC has many bugs, even today . Some are major, some are minor, but many of them are quality or accuracy issues
    https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/

There is a GUI for mpv - mpv.net. It's a bit more user friendly. You can right click and access some menus

When people ask for a sample, they almost always mean an original streamcopy(cut) sample of the source. This can help rule out other issues
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes it is another app, but if something sucks or is broken, why continue to use it ? VLC has many bugs, even today . Some are major, some are minor, but many of them are quality or accuracy issues
    I already stated why I wanted to continue to use it. It's fine for everything else. I typically don't stop using something because it has one annoying thing about it.

Anyway, I was hoping someone who understood the Deinterlace or related options could suggest anything else. Is the sample needed for that?

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    There is a GUI for mpv - mpv.net. It's a bit more user friendly. You can right click and access some menus
    Thanks.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    When people ask for a sample, they almost always mean an original streamcopy(cut) sample of the source. This can help rule out other issues
    I will need to find time again to dive into this. I tried again last time and had to leave. Sorry I haven't posted yet. I will when I can. I doubt it will show you anything different than I've stated, and I'm curious what the alternative answers would be based on the problem I've described. I understand if the sample is needed for that, but typically when an I answer I provide to something doesn't work, I already have other things in mind that could be tried.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Download the portable version of mpc-hc and see if it does it there.
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/MPC-HC.1.9.16.x64.zip

Try this 7 second clip, it looks good in mpc-hc, mpc-be and Windows Media Player.
    Looks terrible in VLC
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by davexnet; 5th Oct 2021 at 22:56.
    Quote Quote