VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking to get A VPN. Something that won't slow my internet down.
    I know nothing about VPN's or what to look for.
    What can you guys recommend
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nord or Express. End of conversation.

One got slightly more servers, other one's support slightly better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Private Internet Access (PIA).

You want paid, not free. Free = not as private as you think!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Nord or Express. End of conversation.

So which one is better
    Quote Quote  
  5. wireguard.com is a project free for vpn. it is also available for all linux distributions, windows and mac os, router and more.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All VPN's have a performance hit on your internet speed. The question is how much, how many servers and what part of the world. iOS, Linux Windows. I don't recommend any of the free VPN's, most have hard data limitations and is your personal information logged? Wireguard is a great open source VPN protocol but, you will still need a VPN provider to connect to a server.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  7. Express is better for speed. Nord takes a slight speed hit but is cheaper by far. Either is a good choice as VPNs go.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use caution with express vpn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn4X_lSeRH4
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rip-it6817 View Post
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post

So which one is better
    I am UK, I use both, plus other solutions (vps and a paid for physically US-located dedi server too, and 'shared' seedbox, built in free vpn - EU based service). Currently Nord is edging it for me minutely over Express when I need to use a quick out-of-the-box vpn.

I dont know why you seek a vpn, and its none of my business, but if you're using it to access websites not in your country thru unlocking the geo restrictions, the main streaming players (Dazn, ESPN+, Peacock, Fubo, DTV, Hulu, Sling etc) glean all the IPs from the major VPN's regularly and ban them. So then people call these 2 VPN's shit services because they get kicked off, or cant login to grab their sports / films etc. Not really a valid reason to call a VPN a shit service. It's not Nord or Express' fault if Hulu wont let you login from the UK due to a recent IP cull.

The tier of providers below Nord and Express, may (do) use servers that claim to be physically in certain countries but are actually not. Be wary of this - and for the price difference just isn't worth it. In the early days when I tested them all out I would often get a msg 'sorry this video isnt avail in your country' when I thought I was on a New York server but was actually on a cheap server farm in Holland which was on a vpn itself to NY.

If you're just using it for privacy reasons you will be fine with either Nord or Express, or minor usage geo-unrestricting yourself; with very few reasons to criticise either of their services.

And the usual old chestnut about slowing your internet speed down is bollox too. Just change server to one of a lower % usage if you get any issues - they have hundreds if not thousands for some countries. I experience identical upload and download speeds to my native speeds. Upload is more important to me and its maxxed out at 1.3 mbps even on US servers on ftp and http(s).

(Whatever you do don't use Hola.)
    Last edited by codehound; 26th Sep 2021 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    All VPN's have a performance hit on your internet speed. The question is how much, how many servers and what part of the world. iOS, Linux Windows. I don't recommend any of the free VPN's, most have hard data limitations and is your personal information logged? Wireguard is a great open source VPN protocol but, you will still need a VPN provider to connect to a server.
    wireguard also runs on docker, you can install it without the need for a provider. Asus routers have openVPN to install and configure. Linux it is much easier to install wireguard and configure it, with windows is a bit complicated to run the server and client in same the machine, but you can do this. Nordvpn has been hacked in the past, Mozilla vpn is not secure, they have a connection logs. the best solution now is wireguard, paying for a vpn is never a good choice, for privacy and more. they say they don't keep logs but this is not true.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rip-it6817 View Post
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post

So which one is better
    None. Both of them are pretty unsafe/shady.
    Quote Quote