VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I cannot capture Mini-DV in PAL format.

I was capturing in NTSC without problem with my sony DCR-HC52 camera via Firewire cable and Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 software.

But some tapes are half recorded in NTSC and half in PAL.

1-The PAL format is perfectly reproduced on the camera.
    2-In Premiere there is no trace of any PAL signal.
    3-In SCLIVE if it recognizes the PAL signal but the result is faulty (attached image of the PAL result in SCLIVE), places the following message "the capture drive incorrectly sends PAL video in NTSC frames or vice-versa. Ou might want to update directx."

[Attachment 60868 - Click to enlarge]

How can I capture PAL DV?

Thank you.
    Greetings
    Last edited by Ferggue; 22nd Sep 2021 at 01:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    S-live is the right tool, NLE software may work but not a dedicated transfer software like S-live and WinDV.

The problem could be that when you switch from NTSC to PAL you may have to restart the program and disconnect and reconnect the firewire cable for the system to establish the right format, You can't just capture PAL and NTSC in a single file, they have different frame rates, different resolutions and chroma subsampling.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did exactly what you propose, but the same thing keeps happening. Try rebooting the whole system but it doesn't work anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Some camcorders do playback PAL in the viewfinder but PAL stream via firewire is disabled by firmware, In that case you would need a PAL camcorder. Check the manual of your camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just read in the manual that the camera is native NTSC and that it can play PAL but it will appear with a sign on the screen that says PAL (as is my case). It does not clarify more about it but I suppose it must be then a firmware compatibility problem, I will have to get another camera but native PAL.

Since we are on the subject I ask another question, is it worth buying a Mini-DV VCR with the ability to read NTSC and PAL?
    Because it is more expensive than a camera and I don't really know if its useful life is worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No no no, Not a home deck, you will end up with a door stop. Those have a gear that fails all the time, besides they are usually heavily used, Unlike camcorders that are used for shooting the tapes and watching them maybe once or twice due to the hassle of setting them up with the cables, Home decks are already hooked up to the TV so it's just a matter of popping the tape in.

On the subject of PAL logo display maybe on analog video output not firewire.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this.

Run the tape to the point where PAL should start. Leave SC-Live off

Start the tape for PAL playback and then turn on SC-Live. Clear picture now ?

If so, rewind tape back to start of PAL playback and transfer with SC-Live.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's a Deja-Vu, I've seen recently a thread about this topic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No no no, Not a home deck, you will end up with a door stop. Those have a gear that fails all the time, besides they are usually heavily used, Unlike camcorders that are used for shooting the tapes and watching them maybe once or twice due to the hassle of setting them up with the cables, Home decks are already hooked up to the TV so it's just a matter of popping the tape in.

On the subject of PAL logo display maybe on analog video output not firewire.
    Thanks for your advice, you save me from trouble. And thanks also for helping me research PAL capture.

Try this.

Run the tape to the point where PAL should start. Leave SC-Live off

Start the tape for PAL playback and then turn on SC-Live. Clear picture now ?

If so, rewind tape back to start of PAL playback and transfer with SC-Live.
    This works! Well, I can continue with the captures. Thank you!
    Quote Quote