I've been trying to clean this up for a while, but my ignorance has so far defeated me - this is an extract (taken straight from the DVD with MakeMKV) which I've found really troublesome.
I'm on a Mac, so I've been using Vapoursynth / vivtc for reverse telecine (assuming I have my terminology right) - combined with a few different methods for some basic denoising / sharpening - but I'm sure (or just hope) that better results are possible.
Any advice would be very welcome!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Inverse telecine followed by levels, or something to deepen the shadows
[Attachment 60911 - Click to enlarge]:
I've had a breakthrough since posting this - so I've managed to improve it some - (this is after playing with the levels on your suggestion:
[Attachment 60912 - Click to enlarge]
Happier with the results, but I still feel like I could be doing a better job.
It's frustrating because this is essentially a behind-the-scenes DVD of the musical footage from Robert Altman's Kansas City. Of which I have the Bluray - but for this footage, there's only this and VHS.
Vapoursynth is effectively a Python rewrite of Avisynth, with many (but not all) of the plugins ported across.
I'm using it on a Mac, which has many (not all) of the Vapoursynth plugins ported across.
So from my perspective, it's effectively a subset of Avisynth, but it's still awesome.