VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Since youtube-dl stopped working with france.tv videos (since 2021/09/14, and it hasn't been updated since June apparently, it used to be updated much more frequently if I'm not mistaken) I went back to using Captvty for this. It's a well designed and streamlined software which I already used regularly to download videos from other channels, or to get the lists of available programs without the hassle of visiting the corresponding website. The drawback of Captvty when it comes to downloading videos from that particular platform is that it records to TS container, which then requires a remuxing to MP4 or MKV to get a better playback (and also shrink the file size somewhat). It does include a conversion module, relying on standard open source tools, but as I found out using ProcessMonitor, it does the TS to MP4 conversion in no less than three steps. Here are the command lines I found following the conversion of a 133MB TS file :
    Code:
    "tools\mkvmerge" -o "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\Captvty\rj1rt2fpgp3\2zocxzpv.p14\sgossmeo.mkv" --ui-language fr --compression -1:none "H:\TV\2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain.ts"
    "tools\mkvmerge" -J "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\Captvty\rj1rt2fpgp3\2zocxzpv.p14\sgossmeo.mkv" => not sure what that one does
    "tools\mkvextract" tracks "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\Captvty\rj1rt2fpgp3\2zocxzpv.p14\sgossmeo.mkv" 0:"C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\Captvty\rj1rt2fpgp3\clz1mttp.qf3\0,0,fre.aac" 1:"C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\Captvty\rj1rt2fpgp3\clz1mttp.qf3\1,0,und.264"
    "tools\mp4box" -add "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\Captvty\rj1rt2fpgp3\clz1mttp.qf3\2h2yhpif.aac":lang=fre:name="" -add "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\Captvty\rj1rt2fpgp3\clz1mttp.qf3\5331h02y.264":lang=und:name="" -tmp "H:\TV" -fps 25 "H:\TV\2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain.mp4"
    So it first converts TS to MKV with mkvmerge, then extracts the elementary streams with mkvextract, then muxes the elementary streams with mp4box. Is there any valid reason to proceed that way ? Why not converting directly from TS to MP4 with mp4box ?
    If I do the conversion manually with mp4box alone I get a warning, which I don't quite understand :
    Code:
    H:\TV>chcp 1252
    Page de codes active*: 1252

H:\TV>mp4box -add "2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain.ts":name="" -new "2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain -- mp4box.mp4"
    [MPEG-2 TS] PID 34 PES payload size 2877 but received 2744 bytes
    Importing MPEG-2 TS (PID 34)
    MPEG-4 AAC Audio import - SampleRate 48000 Channels 2 Language  fra (TS PID 34)
    [MPEG-2 TS] PES 34: Packet discontinuity (15 expected - got 0) - may have lost end of previous PES
    [MPEG-2 TS] PID 34 PES payload size 1012 but received 1011 bytes
    Movie timescale (600) not precise enough to store edit (media timescale: 90000)
    Timeline offset: 0 ms
    Importing MPEG-2 TS (PID 33)
    MPEG-4 AVC/H264 Video import (TS PID 33)           | (00/100)
    Saving 2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C Ã* dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain -- mp4box.mp4: 0.500 secs Interleaving
    Otherwise the conversion seems flawless, the file size is slightly inferior (135520041 vs. 135521322), but the version of mp4box contained in Captvty's "tools" subfolder is much older, from 2012 apparently (at the end of the file opened in WinHex : “freeIsoMedia File Produced with GPAC 0.5.1-DEV-rev4266”), the one used when I run the command manually is the one from MeGUI, from 2017 (at the end of the file : “freeIsoMedia File Produced with GPAC 0.7.2-DEV-rev357-g7115eeb8-master”) ; nothing seems to be missing from the video or audio streams ; in the MediaInfo report (see below), apart from the timestamps, only the streams' IDs appear to be different, and whether the codec is identified as “isom” or “isom/avc1”. So again, is there any known valid reason to resort to such a convoluted method to go from TS to MP4 ? And any valid reason to use such antiquated versions of those conversion tools, even though the main executable gets updated regularly ? (It is also using a quite old version of mkvmerge, v. 29 from 2018, and a mediainfo.dll from 2014.)

On the upside, Captvty seems to be downloading these streams reliably. With youtube-dl (or ffmpeg), recording directly as MP4, I always had to download the same video at least twice, to ensure that their size matched, and most of the time it didn't (especially for longer programs but sometimes even for very short ones), usually the first one had a slightly superior size and was corrupted at some point (typically with the picture freezing and the audio stuttering, then going back to normal after a few seconds), so I had to re-download again to ensure that the second download was flawless (most of the time it was, but sometimes I've had to download the same video 4 or 5 times until I got two identical versions !). So is there a known reliability issue with either youtube-dl or ffmpeg when it comes to downloading videos from .m3u8 playlists ?

MP4 video converted by Captvty's internal conversion module :
    Code:
    Général
    Nom complet                              : H:\TV\2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain.mp4
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Profil du format                         : Base Media
    Identifiant du codec                     : isom (isom/avc1)
    Taille du fichier                        : 129 Mio
    Durée                                    : 8 min 44s
    Type de débit global                     : Variable
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 066 kb/s
    Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2021-09-16 13:37:58
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-16 13:37:58

Vidéo
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Profil du format                         : High@L3.1
    Paramètres du format                     : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
    Paramètres du format, CABAC              : Oui
    Paramètres du format, RefFrames          : 2 images
    Paramètres du format, GOP                : M=1, N=50
    Identifiant du codec                     : avc1
    Identifiant du codec/Info                : Advanced Video Coding
    Débit                                    : 1 967 kb/s
    Débit maximum                            : 3 703 kb/s
    Largeur                                  : 1 280 pixels
    Hauteur                                  : 720 pixels
    Format à l'écran                         : 16/9
    Type d'images/s                          : Constant
    Images par seconde                       : 25,000 Im/s
    Espace de couleurs                       : YUV
    Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance   : 4:2:0
    Profondeur des couleurs                  : 8 bits
    Type de balayage                         : Progressif
    Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.085
    Taille du flux                           : 123 Mio (95%)
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-16 13:38:00
    Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AAC LC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Identifiant du codec                     : mp4a-40-2
    Type de débit                            : Variable
    Débit                                    : 96,0 kb/s
    Débit maximum                            : 101 kb/s
    Canaux                                   : 2 canaux
    ChannelLayout                            : L R
    Echantillonnage                          : 48,0 kHz
    Images par seconde                       : 46,875 Im/s (1024 SPF)
    Mode de compression                      : Avec perte
    Taille du flux                           : 6,01 Mio (5%)
    Langue                                   : Français
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-16 13:38:00
    MP4 video converted with a single mp4box command :
    Code:
    Général
    Nom complet                              : H:\TV\2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain -- mp4box.mp4
    Identifiant du codec                     : isom (isom)
    Taille du fichier                        : 129 Mio
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 066 kb/s
    Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2021-09-17 07:08:18
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-17 07:08:18

Vidéo
    ID                                       : 33
    Débit                                    : 1 967 kb/s
    Débit maximum                            : 3 703 kb/s
    Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.085
    Taille du flux                           : 123 Mio (95%)
    Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2021-09-17 07:08:19
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-17 07:08:19

Audio
    ID                                       : 34
    Taille du flux                           : 6,01 Mio (5%)
    Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2021-09-17 07:08:18
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-17 07:08:19
    And the TS file :
    Code:
    Général
    ID                                       : 16727 (0x4157)
    Nom complet                              : H:\TV\2021_09_0917_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Afghanistan le travail des humanitaires sur le terrain.ts
    Format                                   : MPEG-TS
    Taille du fichier                        : 134 Mio
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 141 kb/s

Vidéo
    ID                                       : 33 (0x21)
    ID de menu                               : 16727 (0x4157)
    Identifiant du codec                     : 27
    Débit maximum                            : 1 967 kb/s

Audio
    ID                                       : 34 (0x22)
    Version du format                        : Version 4
    Type de muxing                           : ADTS
    Identifiant du codec                     : 15-2
    Débit maximum                            : 96,0 kb/s
    Quote Quote  
  2. So is there a known reliability issue with either youtube-dl or ffmpeg when it comes to downloading videos from .m3u8 playlists ?
    None at all.

But if france.tv has moved to WV then it needs a different approach altogether. If it hasn't, with ffmpeg.exe (109mb full version), ffprobe.exe in same folder as yt-dlp...
    Use yt-dlp to download the ts as separate video + audio streams and mux to mp4 for you with 1 command.

You have probably answered your own question by muddying the waters with all this questionable software with outdated components performing unnecessary operations.

In the same way as you execute youtube-dl use yt-dlp with the -F (formats) command to see available qualities.

Code:
    yt-dlp --allow-unplayable-formats --cookies-from-browser yourbrowsername  -F "m3u8url"
    Select your required formats. Or for best video + best audio use:

Code:
    yt-dlp --allow-unplayable-formats --cookies-from-browser yourbrowsername  -f bv+ba "m3u8url" --merge-output-format mp4
    If it baulks at mp4 then its because the audio format is not compatible with the mp4 standard. In which case it will suggest mkv.
    Last edited by codehound; 17th Sep 2021 at 04:07.
    Quote Quote  
  3. But if france.tv has moved to WV then it needs a different approach altogether.
    What does "WV" stand for here ?

If it hasn't, with ffmpeg.exe (109mb full version), ffprobe.exe in same folder as yt-dlp...
    I've only ever used ffprobe once, following a suggestion in this thread. What is it meant to do in general, and in this case specifically ?

Use yt-dlp to download the ts as separate video + audio streams and mux to mp4 for you with 1 command.
    The broadcaster completely changed its video platform. Before I used a command like this :
    Code:
    youtube-dl -f best %lien% --all-subs --write-info-json --write-description --write-pages -o "G:\%%(upload_date)s - F5 - %%(title)s [%%(id)s].%%(ext)s"
    And youtube-dl would automatically parse the HTML page, get the video ID, download the JSON page, retrieve the .m3u8 link, and download directly to MP4. If the video was no longer available "officially", I could still get the JSON page manually, and reconstruct the .m3u8 link (which remained valid for a few weeks usually) that youtube-dl would feed to ffmpeg to download. Now when using the former link to get the JSON page I get a message saying "this api is deprecated", which explains why youtube-dl can't find anything anymore.
    For this program for instance (which should be available for about a month), the web page contains a "videoid" (same format as before), which is used to retrieve the JSON page (that's the new URL / API which youtube-dl doesn't know about yet), and that page now contains only a manifest.mpd link (there used to be two .m3u8 links, one called "m3u8-download", which was used by youtube-dl with the parameter “-f best” and pointed to both the video and the audio as a single stream, the other called "hls_v5_os", which was used by youtube-dl with the parameter “-f bestvideo+bestaudio” or with no parameter at all as it's the default, and which pointed to the video and the audio as separate streams).
    Well, Captvty does that quite tedious stuff by itself and works with the new scheme (which is surprising since it hasn't been updated since August 1st), so I'll go with that for now. But I'm wondering if I should let it take care of the conversion part.
    What I know for a fact is that with the former "hls_v5_os" links, when muxing the video and audio with ffmpeg, for some reason, the resulting file often had the audio cut after exactly 6min48s, no matter what the total duration was (this happened when the muxing was done automatically by youtube-dl as well), so this may be the reason for this preliminary conversion to MKV. Based on the history, this change was implemented in version 2.7 but there's no explanation as to why. If that's indeed the reason, does it make sense to then extract the streams before remuxing them as MP4 ? Well, apparently yes, because if I try to convert directly from MKV to MP4 with the older version of mp4box included with Captvty, I get an error message : “Unknown input file type / Error importing [filename].mkv: Corrupted Data in file/stream”. And with the more recent version (GPAC 0.7.2), I get dozens of warnings such as “[MPEG-2 TS] TS Packet XXX does not start with sync marker” and finally a similar error message : “Error importing [filename].mkv: I/O Error”.

This software has been “out there” for about 10 years, and its author seems to know his stuff, it's regularly updated and is only doing what it's meant to do, with a minimal impact on the system (so-called “portable” install, never packed any adware or similar), so I wouldn't say that it falls into the “questionable” category.
    Regarding the use of an older version of mkvmerge, the author stated in the history page that he voluntarily downgraded from v. 35 to v. 29 in version 2.8.1 so as to benefit from the support of multilingual MPEG-2 TS while preserving compatibility with Windows XP.
    There's no such explanation regarding mp4box.

I'm wondering what yt-dlp can do that yt-dl can't in this particular case (except for the fact that it was updated more recently -- but it fails just the same at downloading the JSON metadata).
    Is there a specific reason why this type of links should be downloaded as TS rather than MP4 directly ?
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 17th Sep 2021 at 08:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Files should never be downloaded from a webserver in a compressed format.

WV = widevine.

yt-dlp can download encrypted files. Youtube-dl cant.

So if it has gone to WV you'll need it.

New features in latest release
    https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#new-features

Even if they have gone to WV. Yt-dlp will still read the available formats. Update it in the same way.

yt-dlp -U

PM me login and I'll test
    Last edited by codehound; 17th Sep 2021 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Files should never be downloaded from a webserver in a compressed format.
    MP4 downloaded from a .m3u8 link is no more compressed than the same link downloaded as TS, so this is moot. (In fact, if I download a M3U8 stream to TS with ffmpeg, then convert (remux) the output to MP4 also with ffmpeg, the resulting MP4 file is — normally — exactly identical as if it was downloaded directly as MP4, same size, same MD5. I haven't tested though to check if downloading to TS was more reliable, so that's part of what I'm asking here.)
    Again, is there a valid rationale for downloading such streams as TS then converting to another container ?

yt-dlp can download encrypted files. Youtube-dl cant.
    So if it has gone to WV you'll need it.
    Alright, that doesn't seem to be the case right now, but I'll remember this if it ever happens.

PM me login and I'll test
    No login should be required to download those streams (although a login is now required to watch the videos on the website, but this has nothing to do with the recent platform change). In the example provided yesterday, once I get the JSON page, I can find the manifest.mpd link, and (thanks to the help of member “ponens” who replied privately to my questions in this thread about a year ago) I can convert this link (which youtube-dl can't use) through this URL / API into a link that works, albeit temporarily (from this link youtube-dl -F retrieves 4 available video streams from 384x216 to 1280x720 plus 1 audio stream). But again, this is quite complicated to do on a regular basis, youtube-dl used to do it all automatically (with only the base .html link), now this Captvty tool is the only one I know that does (I haven't tested JDownloader2, which used to work with this platform, but it's a quite cumbersome piece of software which I tend to use rarely these days).

Another issue is that the subtitles seem to have disappeared. I don't need those subtitles to watch a video, but it was convenient to quickly find a particular segment of which I remembered a few words. Are there new schemes of delivery for subtitles which appeared recently on such “replay” platforms ? Could they be for instance directly embedded within the video streams ? It would be surprising that they got rid of them altogether, considering that it's a national broadcasting network, and this channel in particular has a few programs dedicated for people with sight or hearing disability.
    (I also used the subtitle links for another purpose : I noticed that the video links stayed valid far longer than the official availability period, at least a month beyond, only they disappeared from the JSON page, but the subtitle links contained the same codes as the video links, allowing to reconstruct them and get the videos. It's still possible though with the “videospritesheets” links, except that with the “cloudreplay” links the first code is inverted, in this example c3a73c0ae8316 instead of 6138ea0c37a3c.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Another (hopefully less complicated) way of formulating approximately the same question : starting from a manifest.mpd link (that is the DASH protocol, right ? I'm not even sure of that...), what is considered the most reliable download method to get a flawless MP4 file ?

If I do the download with youtube-dl, it first downloads the video stream, then the audio stream, then automatically merges them as MP4 with ffmpeg. Analysing the resulting file, MediaInfo reports the audio bitrate as “constant”, which it should not be. I tried downloading as TS (to convert to MP4 in a second step and see if it would correct this error), but it insists on creating a MP4 (resulting file gets named “XXX.ts.mp4”).

If I use Captvty, it records to TS, through an unknown method. Then if I do the conversion with that same software, as mentioned above, it first converts TS to MKV with mkvmerge, then extracts the video and audio streams with mkvextract (which seems unnecessarily convoluted since they were supposedly downloaded separately in the first place, or could have / should have been), then muxes them as MP4 with mp4box. The resulting file has the audio in track “0” and the video in track “1” which is not standard. The audio bitrate is correctly identified as “variable”.

If I do the conversion with ffmpeg, I get these warnings :
    Code:
    [mpegts @ 00000000004609c0] PES packet size mismatch
    [AVBSFContext @ 0000000002affc80] Error parsing ADTS frame header!
    Error applying bitstream filters to an output packet for stream #0:1.
    The resulting file seems fine otherwise, but it doesn't seem like the right way to do it. Audio bitrate identified as “variable”, as it should.

If I do the conversion with mp4box, I get these warnings :
    Code:
    [MPEG-2 TS] PID 34 PES payload size 2862 but received 2744 bytes
    Importing MPEG-2 TS (PID 34)
    MPEG-4 AAC Audio import - SampleRate 48000 Channels 2 Language  qad (TS PID 34)
    [MPEG-2 TS] PES 34: Packet discontinuity (15 expected - got 0) - may have lost end of previous PES
    [MPEG-2 TS] PID 34 PES payload size 2593 but received 2592 bytes
    Importing MPEG-2 TS (PID 33)
    MPEG-4 AVC/H264 Video import (TS PID 33)           | (00/100)
    Likewise, the resulting file plays fine, but there seems to be something wrong in the process. The file generated by mp4box has its index (“moov atom” I believe it's called) at the beginning, rather than at the end with ffmpeg, not sure if it's an advantage when watching it on a computer (except in case of partial corruption, I know that a MP4 file with the index at the end won't be readable if the end chunk is corrupted or missing). A drawback is that the conversion requires a lot of extra space to create a temporary file. Audio bitrate identified as “variable”, as it should. Video and audio tracks have ID “33” and “34” (as in the TS file), which doesn't seem standard.

Tangential question regarding mp4box :
    I noticed something weird when running mp4box commands from the CMD command prompt (on Windows 7). After a first command has been executed, if I try to recall the first command with the “up” keyboard key, it doesn't work as it usually does. I can recall the command with the “right” key, each stroke recalling one character, or a sustained stroke progressively recalling the complete command, but then the cursor does not appear, if I try to go (blindly) to anywhere within the command with the “left” key, and type any character, the command disappears, and the path gets doubled (for instance I get “H:\TV>H:\TV>”), then the extra path can't be removed ; and it gets tripled if I try again. It makes it practically impossible to run several mp4box commands in a row from the same CMD window. I didn't see anything like this with any other command line tool.
    Is there any explanation for that weird behaviour ?

– youtube-dl download with automatic merging to MP4 container by ffmpeg :
    Code:
    Général
    Nom complet                              : H:\20210913 CAD.mp4
    Identifiant du codec                     : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    Taille du fichier                        : 143 Mio
    Durée                                    : 9 min 38s
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 075 kb/s
    Application utilisée                     : Lavf58.35.101

Vidéo
    Débit                                    : 1 975 kb/s
    Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.086
    Taille du flux                           : 136 Mio (95%)

Audio
    Type de débit                            : Constant
    Taille du flux                           : 6,62 Mio (5%)
    Default                                  : Oui
    AlternateGroup/String                    : 1
    – Captvty download as TS :
    Code:
    Général
    ID                                       : 16727 (0x4157)
    Nom complet                              : H:\TV\2021_09_1317_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Les Ricochets les victimes de l’ombre.ts
    Format                                   : MPEG-TS
    Taille du fichier                        : 148 Mio
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 149 kb/s

Vidéo
    ID                                       : 33 (0x21)
    Identifiant du codec                     : 27
    Débit maximum                            : 1 974 kb/s

Audio
    ID                                       : 34 (0x22)
    Version du format                        : Version 4
    Type de muxing                           : ADTS
    Identifiant du codec                     : 15-2
    Débit maximum                            : 96,0 kb/s
    Langue                                   : qad
    – TS converted with Captvty (through mkvmerge, mkvextract, mp4box) :
    Code:
    Général
    Nom complet                              : H:\2021_09_1317_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Les Ricochets les victimes de l’ombre.mp4
    Identifiant du codec                     : isom (isom/avc1)
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 073 kb/s
    Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2021-09-20 14:16:47
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-20 14:16:47

Vidéo
    Débit maximum                            : 3 205 kb/s
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-20 14:16:48

Audio
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-20 14:16:48
    – TS converted with ffmpeg :
    Code:
    Général
    Nom complet                              : H:\2021_09_1317_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Les Ricochets les victimes de l’ombre -- ffmpeg.mp4
    Identifiant du codec                     : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 076 kb/s
    Application utilisée                     : Lavf58.29.100

Vidéo
    Débit                                    : 1 976 kb/s

Audio
    Débit maximum                            : 98,6 kb/s
    Default                                  : Oui
    AlternateGroup/String                    : 1
    – TS converted with mp4box :
    Code:
    Général
    Nom complet                              : H:\2021_09_1317_29 - France 5 - C à dire - Saison 15 - Les Ricochets les victimes de l’ombre -- mp4box .mp4
    Identifiant du codec                     : isom (isom)
    Débit global moyen                       : 2 073 kb/s
    Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2021-09-21 05:36:06
    Date de marquage                         : UTC 2021-09-21 05:36:06

Vidéo
    ID                                       : 33
    Débit maximum                            : 3 205 kb/s

Audio
    ID                                       : 34
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 21st Sep 2021 at 00:55.
    Quote Quote