VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I would like to convert some videos in 1080p H.264 format to 480p H.264 format

I would like to know what the equivalent of hanbrake's fast480p 30 preset on XMedia Recode
    because Handbrake on my pc is slow.

I would like to get a DVD quality obviously compressed (480p H.264 format)
    Also it is better to use Constant Quality or Average Bitrate two-pass encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try starting with constant quality (21), preset medium, Tune - none (although some like the look of "film')
    Do a test encode and adjust as necessary

Average bitrate is really intended to be used when you need to be able to predict the output file size.
    (Like 20 years ago when they produced 700MB movie rips to be copied to a CD)
    Quote Quote  
  3. In filters/preview in resolution where there is width and height beside there are some parameters: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. What do they mean?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anet88 View Post
    In filters/preview in resolution where there is width and height beside there are some parameters: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. What do they mean?
    If you change the resolution, those small numbers allow the program to round it off to a value cleanly divisible
    by the number. For example, if you choose 614 as the width but you choose mod 4, the program will force it up to 616.

In other words it's a quick and dirty way of enforcing a specific "mod" size (important for some color spaces)

Best to stick to mod 4 or greater
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    In filters/preview in resolution where there is width and height beside there are some parameters: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. What do they mean?
    If you change the resolution, those small numbers allow the program to round it off to a value cleanly divisible
    by the number. For example, if you choose 614 as the width but you choose mod 4, the program will force it up to 616.

In other words it's a quick and dirty way of enforcing a specific "mod" size (important for some color spaces)

Best to stick to mod 4 or greater
    So if I choose a 720x480 resolution is the value 2 okay or should I go to 4 and above?

Does it have any influence on the final quality?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I made a screenshot of the same video converted with both handbrake and xmedia recode I noticed by zooming in on the image that the xmedia recode image is more opaque and blurry, maybe I have to set some other settings to get a video quality similar to Handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made a screenshot of the same video converted with both handbrake and xmedia recode I noticed by zooming in on the image that the xmedia recode image is more opaque and blurry, maybe I have to set some other settings to get a video quality similar to Handbrake?
    Best place to start is comparing the x264 settings within each program. For example , the preset and quality value.
    Or if you still have the files, open them with mediainfo, put it in text view, and post the info here.

Or you can post a short clip taken from the files themselves.
    Quote Quote