VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    [Attachment 60672 - Click to enlarge]

I have this problem playing NTSC VHS tapes. Everytime I play a NTSC tape I get this flickering bar at the bottom of the screen.
    I have a PAL VCR that also plays NTSC tapes and converts the signal. I recently bought a new VCR and it was excactly the same problem on my old one. I've tried both using an DVD-recorder as well as trying to use a AV to HDMI converter to connect my VCR to my smart TV, same problem on both. Then I figured maybe my TV couldn't handle this somehow, but when I record a NTSC VHS tape to my DVD-recorder, it records the same flickering bar. So it seems the problem happens before the signal reaches my TV? I've also tried switching the scart and AV cable. Anybody that got a clue what the problem might be? I have no trouble getting color though, the tape I'm playing on the picture just happens to be a B&W movie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need true NTSC VCR
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you are seeing is a NTSC video played back in PAL settings on a device that does not support PAL60 (NTSC playback on PAL). Your vcr will support that but you still need the device to read the signal.

You can check this by measuring the number of active lines on the picture. There should be 480 with the extra 96 having the disturbance.

Check the settings on your tv. You may see 'NTSC Playback', PAL60 or even NTSC443 which is similar but not the same as PAL60
    Quote Quote  
  4. What dvd-recorder did you use? On the PAL ones that have NTSC support you have to select it manually in the menus. If it's a Panasonic they only support a standard NTSC signal, not the PAL60/NTSC 4.43 variants you get from "NTSC on PAL TV" PAL VCRs. later Sony/Pioneer support all the NTSC variants. Not aware of any other PAL dvd-recorders with NTSC support. Not quite sure how modern TVs that still have composite in handle it, whether it has to be set manually or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Watching PAL60 on a European TV should not require any user action. I am confident if you plug in the VCR straight to virtually any European TV (except ones without analog inputs of course) made within the last 30 years, the picture will be normal.
    But the problem has been mentioned: Most DVD recorders unfortunately cannot handle PAL60 input (despite outputting PAL60 themselves upon playback of NTSC DVDs).
    Quote Quote