VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. https://www.newegg.com/encore-enmvg-3-video-capture-editing/p/N82E16815153019R
    I purchased the above product 10 years ago. It worked okay for capturing analog audio and video from a VCR at that time. However, now the software from its included CD no longer works on Windows 10. The company Encore Electronics does not offer any software support for the product. So I tried VirtualDub2 which does work on a VIDBOX device. VirtualDub2 does not work on the Encore capture device, however.

So should I just throw the Encore device in the trash then? Or is there a way to obtain updated drivers and/or software to make the old thing work in Windows 10?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You may have to crack it open and find what chipset it has and then find a compatible driver based on the chip type, Sometimes Windows reports the information in the device manager, Post all the info you can get and members should be able to help you, Jwillis is more into this chipset stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Those things were cheap little $20-30 toys even back in the day and not worth saving today.

The IO Data GV-USB2 is probably the best thing like it on the market today under current manufacture (better than whitebox "Ezcap" clones for like $15), but there's much better options if quality is a goal at all, especially if you're starting from a digital tape like MiniDV or Digital8.

The Diamond VC500 / Avermedia DVD EZMaker 7 (C039) / Hauppauge USB-Live2 all at least use the Conexant CX23102. More info:
    https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Conexant_CX2310x
    Last edited by energizerfellow; 10th Sep 2021 at 03:48.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks all for the detailed advice. I decided to give it away on Craigslist with the disclaimer that it only worked on Win7/8. But if the recipient is tech savvy perhaps they can find a driver out there someplace. Shame that Encore Electronics stopped providing driver downloads on its website.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by energizerfellow View Post
    The Diamond VC500 / Avermedia DVD EZMaker 7 (C039) / Hauppauge USB-Live2 all at least use the Conexant CX23102. More info:
    https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Conexant_CX2310x
    Are you sure that is true for all of these? I know that the DIAMOND VC500 and Hauppage USB-Live2 have both gone through hardware revisions since they were initially released.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. The earliest VC500 (and a bunch of other early usb2 dongles) used a all-in-one chip from Trident instead. Trident went bankrupt at one point though. There is also a VC500 Mac version with completely different internals that uses empia chips, there is at least a variant with empia + SAA7113, a variant with all-in-one empia chip and possibly newer variations too. I don't know about the two others.
    Quote Quote