VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello there!

I bought a new car that is unable to play lossless audio except from a CD (shouldn't have bought such a thing in the first place, but now it's too late). It does have USB and able to read CDs with files (.MP3 and .WMA). Problem is I want to listen .WAVs or any other lossless source. Is there any way I can "wrap" a .wav into mp3 or wma "container" to trick the device into reading the stream? I apologise for the stupidity of the question, I did my best to find a solution but failed. Berg
    Quote Quote  
  2. No, you need to convert to mp3/wma.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What u mean. You should not have bought the CD player or the car

Surely there are more important things about a car than it's audio capabilities. And high bitrate mp3 will sound perfectly fine in such an enclosed space.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only other thing you can do is replace the player with one that plays wave and flac as well.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try renaming the WAV file to MP3 or WMA. There's a small chance that may work. Especially if your WAV files are stereo, 16 bit, 44100Hz of 48000 Hz. It almost certainly won't work if they are more exotic like 5.1 channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have found a solution. The car is Kia Sorento manufactured in 2018. I've used EAC for ages, but just recently noticed an option to encode .wav into .wma lossless. EAC will want to install a plugin from Micro$oft which is no longer available, I've used this one https://www.videohelp.com/software/Microsoft-Expression-Encoder
    In this configuration EAC reads CD in it's normal way and compresses them into WMA Lossless which are perfectly playable from USB flash drive in my car. For the .wav files I have already read from CDs I've used WMAEncode64.exe having wrapped it in a simple batch file like this:
    FOR %%I in (*.wav) DO WMAEncode64.exe --codec lossless "%%I" "%%~nI.wma"
    The solution is described here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,90519.50.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Berg View Post
    I have found a solution. The car is Kia Sorento manufactured in 2018. I've used EAC for ages, but just recently noticed an option to encode .wav into .wma lossless. EAC will want to install a plugin from Micro$oft which is no longer available, I've used this one https://www.videohelp.com/software/Microsoft-Expression-Encoder
    In this configuration EAC reads CD in it's normal way and compresses them into WMA Lossless which are perfectly playable from USB flash drive in my car. For the .wav files I have already read from CDs I've used WMAEncode64.exe having wrapped it in a simple batch file like this:
    FOR %%I in (*.wav) DO WMAEncode64.exe --codec lossless "%%I" "%%~nI.wma"
    The solution is described here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,90519.50.html
    Interesting info. I just noticed WMP in Windows 10 can also rip to lossless WMA
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    WMP in Windows 10 can also rip to lossless WMA
    While looking for the above solution I also noticed that, but failed to implement it practically. I earnestly tried, but WMP appears to be just beyond my comprehension. I also forgot to note that wma losslessness is clearly hearable in my car, despite an opinion that high bitrate mp3 will suffice for the car - it will not, to my ear.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Berg View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    WMP in Windows 10 can also rip to lossless WMA
    While looking for the above solution I also noticed that, but failed to implement it practically. I earnestly tried, but WMP appears to be just beyond my comprehension. I also forgot to note that wma losslessness is clearly hearable in my car, despite an opinion that high bitrate mp3 will suffice for the car - it will not, to my ear.
    I agree with you about WMP, one has to get into a certain frame of mind to "get it".
    I tried it myself and had success.
    Insert the CD and open WMP (if it doesn't open by itself)

Hit CTRL key + 1 to get to library/"now playing" view.
    Confirm that the disk plays properly.
    tool/options/rip music and confirm the rip settings.
    Make your track selections and hit "Rip CD"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you, that worked!
    Quote Quote