VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

Can someone please helps

bee doing a few captures of old video tapes from camcorder, and VHS tapes

the VHS has been captured via my AJA capture card and sony svo-5800 with internal TBC

on all of my captures I am getting coloured bars at the top of the screen why ??

[Attachment 60628 - Click to enlarge]

can someone please tell me what is going on with these bars at the top is my capture card faulty

I would say I need to genlock signal going in to capture card, but the sony svo-5800 has TBC already so why am I getting these horrid bards

any help appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That appears to be the VCR itself, There are cards inside it and the chroma one seem to have a problem. Try reseating all the cards inside.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I not sure it is the VCR ? as when I plugged the SVideo in my sony camcorder I get the same artefacts from a different svideo source

This below is from the sony Hi8 Camcorder going in to the AJA Capture card

is this a Timebase corrector problem ??

[Attachment 60631 - Click to enlarge]

thanks for any assistance, I am at the stage I can not do any capture without these bars ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the tapes themselves have certain issues, standard "frame" TBCs like the one built into your Sony 5800 will not fix them because the issue is not something solvable by frame TBC technology. Camcorder sourced tapes are often problematic, esp if they have already been dubbed and edited to another tape years ago (second generation). Fixing these visual issues may require a different type of VCR (non-pro model) that has a different kind of built-in TBC ("line" TBC) along with Digital Noise Reduction (DNR). Tapes with really persistent bands may be very hard to correct: sometimes a specialized "pass thru" dvd recorder like Panasonic ES-10 will do the correction, sometimes not.

Note the frame TBC built into the Sony SVO-5800 is very clean and powerful, but its function is to correct signal issues that don't typically appear as obvious visual defects. It has little to no ability to conceal bad color noise, straighten out distortion, or eliminate some types of banding/bars (in this respect it is similar to freestanding frame TBCs like the DataVideo TBC1000). Of course it is possible your 5800 might have a hardware issue: try to borrow another SVHS vcr and see if you get the same bands with the same tapes. If not, the 5800 may not be a good match for those tapes. If another VCR gives the same bars, the tapes themselves have an issue and/or your capture card may have an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Have you tried hooking up the camcorder and/or VCR directly to a monitor without the capture card? For instance if the camcorder has a VCR function you can connect the signal from the VCR into its input and observe the frame in the camcorder's viewfinder, Keep in mind the viewfinder has some overscan so you may not see the full band if it is present.

How old the Aja card, can you post a picture of it? If it is too old it is possible that it has some component failure in the chroma stage.

I also noticed that you are using Rec.709 for capturing, you should use Rec.601.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 7th Sep 2021 at 22:59. Reason: Added a question
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Have you tried hooking up the camcorder and/or VCR directly to a monitor without the capture card? For instance if the camcorder has a VCR function you can connect the signal from the VCR into its input and observe the frame in the camcorder's viewfinder, Keep in mind the viewfinder has some overscan so you may not see the full band if it is present.

How old the Aja card, can you post a picture of it? If it is too old it is possible that it has some component failure in the chroma stage.

I also noticed that you are using Rec.709 for capturing, you should use Rec.601.
    Thank you for your reply

I will do more tests tonight, and report back

I also have a 2nd spare AJAcard that I can swap

Thanks for your help, will dig deeper later

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since you have a camcorder, I you could also test if it happens with the direct signal from the camcorder (not recorded to tape.) as that should give a stable signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From your earlier topic, you eluded to the fact that the results from the vcr were fine and it was only an issue with the camcorder tapes.

Since this does not appear to be the case (unless I read you incorrectly) the common denominator is the capture device and/or the capture settings. And I also stated (with reference to what I post below) I did not think this was a time-base issue.

I saw a similar result some years ago with a one-off capture. In was corrected in a quite complex avisynth script (which had to be varied for different scenes). Unfortunately the original topic is no longer on here since the member who provided the script(s) deleted all his posts (before being deleted himself). So hardware aside maybe some other avisynth experts will be able to assist.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for all your help

Yes it would seem it is with every input to the capture card ???

so it could be faulty hardware, those these AGA KONA CARDS WERE purchased brand new ??

I have another brand new unused card I can try and see in the problem goes away ?

Will keep you posted

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought. There was something stored in my rapidly shrinking brain that I had read, and contributed to, a topic a while ago about the AJA.

Well I found the topic and it was indeed started by you. Back then, your capture appeared perfect so I wonder, before you install (if it's not too late) review that topic and compare your capture settings - the capture codec appears different - with what you now use. The solution could be as simple as that.

Also, since you have another card, do you also have a second break-out cable you can test prior to installing the other card ?

The other thing that crosses my mind is Windows. What version do you use and are the drivers up to date ?
    Quote Quote