VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there

I am currently running a headless Ubuntu 20... box as a UPnP/DLNA server on my home network, but would like to be able to stream remotely over the internet.

After multiple google searches, I am a bit lost as to where to start; Kodi and Subsonic have been mentioned more than once. Can anybody please recommend some (free or low cost) software that will stream up to 4K HDR video remotely?

Sláinte

midders
    P.S. my server is already configured for remote access via dynamic DNS and I am familiar with port forwarding and sockets.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I know I am not as knowledgeable when it comes to Ubunto but does Plex work on it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you looked on askubuntu.com or ubuntuforums.org? I think there would be more plrx/kodi etc users there than Ubuntu users here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by midders View Post
    Hi there

I am currently running a headless Ubuntu 20... box as a UPnP/DLNA server on my home network, but would like to be able to stream remotely over the internet.

After multiple google searches, I am a bit lost as to where to start; Kodi and Subsonic have been mentioned more than once. Can anybody please recommend some (free or low cost) software that will stream up to 4K HDR video remotely?

Sláinte

midders
    P.S. my server is already configured for remote access via dynamic DNS and I am familiar with port forwarding and sockets.
    try this - https://opensource.com/article/19/1/basic-live-video-streaming-server
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plex is the easiest to setup and works on Ubuntu, but you need a Plexpass account to have the ability to stream remotely. A Plexpass account requires a subscription fee of about $7 per month. Plex has clients for just about everything.

https://www.plex.tv/

You could also try JellyFin. It isn't quite as mature as Plex, but it is pretty good and totally free

https://jellyfin.org/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Plex is the easiest to setup and works on Ubuntu, but you need a Plexpass account to have the ability to stream remotely. A Plexpass account requires a subscription fee of about $7 per month. Plex has clients for just about everything.

https://www.plex.tv/

You could also try JellyFin. It isn't quite as mature as Plex, but it is pretty good and totally free

https://jellyfin.org/

So Ubuntu users have to pay to access remotely? I mean I use Windows as the host and then a ton of devices across the nation with no issue for free.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, the way it works is let's say you have a Ubuntu or Windows server setup at home with Plex Media Server (free download) on it. You would then purchase a Plex Pass subscription account for $7 a month. You enter the Plex Pass info on the server which allows it to authenticate to your Plex Pass account. After that, people can connect to and stream video or music from your server for free. They only need to link to your Plex account using a onetime passcode in any of the Plex client apps. BTW, if you are only using Plex and connecting to devices within the home, you don't need a Plex Pass subscription.

Let's say one of your friends or family wants to access your Plex Server from their phone. They would install the Plex app (free download) for their phone. When they launch the app the first time, it will generate a link code of something like "Id32Uy". They give you that link code. You would go to https://www.plex.tv/link/ There you login to your Plex account and enter that code in the box and click the Link button. After that, your friend can see your content on the phone anytime they want. It doesn't cost them anything. It is all covered as part of your Plex Pass subscription.
    Last edited by Gramps; 8th Sep 2021 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    No, the way it works is let's say you have a Ubuntu or Windows server setup at home with Plex Media Server (free download) on it. You would then purchase a Plex Pass subscription account for $7 a month. You enter the Plex Pass info on the server which allows it to authenticate to your Plex Pass account. After that, people can connect to and stream video or music from your server for free. They only need to link to your Plex account using a onetime passcode in any of the Plex client apps. BTW, if you are only using Plex and connecting to devices within the home, you don't need a Plex Pass subscription.

Let's say one of your friends or family wants to access your Plex Server from their phone. They would install the Plex app (free download) for their phone. When they launch the app the first time, it will generate a link code of something like "Id32Uy". They give you that link code. You would go to https://www.plex.tv/link/ There you login to your Plex account and enter that code in the box and click the Link button. After that, your friend can see your content on the phone anytime they want. It doesn't cost them anything. It is all covered as part of your Plex Pass subscription.
    Yeah that is the normal way to use Plex but there is not a required $7 a month fee to it. I have had a server running on my computer for about 10 years and never had to pay anything. A friend will create a free Plex account, add me as a friend and then I can share the libraries with them. Remote users are being used anywhere from 5 miles to 5,000+ miles away. Never has anyone needed to pay a fee. Unless they wanted to use the Plex app on iOS or Android then it was a $5 one time fee for the app itself. However, users that use Roku, FireTV, Samsung, Vizio, Playstation or Xbox has never had to pay a single fee. They have streamed anything between SD-4K content. If the 4K content needs transcoded it can prompt saying that you need Plex pass but what I have found to get around this is transcode the audio to EAC3 from AAC and it seems to stream fine with direct playback. No transcoding required.

Great way for everything to be free and not paying the $7 a month. The only other reason I really found the need to do the $7 a month is if you want to do retro gaming addons to Plex. But streaming media, you and your friends are not required to pay anything.

Here is an screen shot of my Plex library.

[Attachment 60640 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone who responded; I've had a play with jellyfin, but plex seems to be the way forward. Will give it a go.
    Quote Quote