VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've been doing this operation (pictured below) in After Effects on poorly deinterlaced film footage and it works perfectly, but I was hoping I could get AviSynth do it for me. I was looking at SRestore's wiki page and I thought it would be the way to go, but I just can't seem to get it to do anything but remove frames altogether. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, I need a plugin which can 1) detect double-blends, 2) use them and the surrounding two frames to restore the intermediate frame, and 3) delete the extra frame so it plays at 24fps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HpfofAO.png
Views:	87
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	60605

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. QTGMC(preset="fast", matchpreset="fast", matchpreset2="fast", sourcematch=3)
    SRestore()
    santiag(strv=0, nns=4, nsize=5)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can you outline the procedure you used in AE ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's the standard type of blend deinterlace applied to a telecined 24000/1001 film source

#source
    FixBlendIVTC
    TDecimate
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    To be clear, I'm talking about films that were telecined (24 > 60) and then incorrectly de-telecined to 30fps. The resulting footage typically has 4 good frames followed by 2 blended frames and then 4 good frames again and so on. By "blended" I don't mean interlaced, I mean both images are truly blended together as one. Here's a video with that exact issue which I'm currently fixing: https://youtu.be/GwWW742T0Wc (pause and press period and comma to frame advance)

In After Effects, what I'll do is add the two blended frames together, making sure to be in 32 bit mode so that there's no clipping. Then I'll subtract both of the surrounding frames (A and C in the previous picture), while setting both of their opacities to 50%. This gives me the missing frame (B), which I can then reinsert into the footage.
    Last edited by StevenGuy; 6th Sep 2021 at 11:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    FixBlendIVTC() is giving me an error saying there's "no function named Average". Unfortunately, there's nothing but dead links to the Average dll, so I'm kinda stuck. Wondering if I could substitute Average for something else like Median in the FixBlendIVTC code, but I think I'm getting way out of my depth.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by StevenGuy View Post
    FixBlendIVTC() is giving me an error saying there's "no function named Average". Unfortunately, there's nothing but dead links to the Average dll, so I'm kinda stuck. Wondering if I could substitute Average for something else like Median in the FixBlendIVTC code, but I think I'm getting way out of my depth.
    https://github.com/pinterf/Average/releases
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by StevenGuy View Post
    https://github.com/pinterf/Average/releases
    Sweet! It's surprisingly tough finding something that's also just a regular word. lol

Just tried it and this seems to be working exactly like I needed. Thank you so much! It was taking forever to do this crap by hand in After Effects.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by StevenGuy View Post
    To be clear, I'm talking about films that were telecined (24 > 60) and then incorrectly de-telecined to 30fps. The resulting footage typically has 4 good frames followed by 2 blended frames and then 4 good frames again and so on. By "blended" I don't mean interlaced, I mean both images are truly blended together as one. Here's a video with that exact issue which I'm currently fixing: https://youtu.be/GwWW742T0Wc (pause and press period and comma to frame advance)

In After Effects, what I'll do is add the two blended frames together, making sure to be in 32 bit mode so that there's no clipping. Then I'll subtract both of the surrounding frames (A and C in the previous picture), while setting both of their opacities to 50%. This gives me the missing frame (B), which I can then reinsert into the footage.

But a blend deinterlace of 3:2 telecine (23.976p in 59.94 fields/s interlaced) to 29.97p generally results in 3good, 2blend pattern .

4good, 2blend means another conversion has been done somewhere. Usually 25p source => Conversion to 59.94 fields/s interlaced => blend deinterlace

I think it still can be done, but it would be 1 in 6 decimation back to 25p
    FixBlendIVTC
    TDecimate(cycle=6, cycler=1)

Or
    srestore(mode=1, omode="pp0")
    TDecimate(cycle=6, cycler=1)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 6th Sep 2021 at 12:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah you're probably right; this film was shot in Italy, so it was likely PAL at some point. Regardless, my goal is to narrow it all down to just the original film frames so I can do other stuff to it. The whole thing is a mess because the timing of the blends is inconsistent, changing about a dozen times throughout the video. That means I had to scan through the whole hour of footage to find exactly when things got out of sync.

Anyway, now that I've got Average installed, plugins like SRestore can finally do the main thing I need. It's still going to take a lot of tinkering, of course, but that's AviSynth for ya.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    4good, 2blend means another conversion has been done somewhere. Usually 25p source => Conversion to 59.94 fields/s interlaced => blend deinterlace
    I noted that as well. If that's what he has, FixBlendIVTC isn't the filter to use. However, ExBlend has a mode for PAL sources blended like that. And then you Decimate.

Rather than show us a pretty picture, he should have provided a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Rather than show us a pretty picture, he should have provided a sample.
    It wouldn't have mattered. The issue I was having pertained to literally anything with blended frames, not just one video, not just 30p or 25p; it was with everything. So essentially I was asking "what's a good deblender?" because none of the plugins I tried were able to actually deblend. The pic I posted simply shows what the plugin or script I was looking for should do, thinking I may have to write one myself and would need some guidance. Anyway, it turns out the problem was that Average wasn't installed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always think when I see an old concert like this that the poor sound is also a big part of the problem.
    Anybody had any luck, or even attempted to improve this typical lo-fi sound (like a mono VCR at slp speed) ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by StevenGuy View Post
    It wouldn't have mattered.
    It matters a lot. You wote complete gibberish here:

To be clear, I'm talking about films that were telecined (24 > 60) and then incorrectly de-telecined to 30fps. The resulting footage typically has 4 good frames followed by 2 blended frames and then 4 good frames again and so on.
    The fact you don't understand why is all the more reason to provide an untouched sample. Plus, it would give us a chance to work with it to figure out what's best for your video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I always think when I see an old concert like this that the poor sound is also a big part of the problem.
    Anybody had any luck, or even attempted to improve this typical lo-fi sound (like a mono VCR at slp speed) ?
    If I can find better audio somewhere for the concert, I'll swap it out and sync it with the video. But if I'm stuck with that audio, then I'll use Stereo Tool to get some of the dynamics back. I've been testing out the declipper and the multiband eq and it's definitely sounding fuller and more lively.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    It wouldn't have mattered.
    It matters a lot. You wote complete gibberish here:

To be clear, I'm talking about films that were telecined (24 > 60) and then incorrectly de-telecined to 30fps. The resulting footage typically has 4 good frames followed by 2 blended frames and then 4 good frames again and so on.
    The fact you don't understand why is all the more reason to provide an untouched sample. Plus, it would give us a chance to work with it to figure out what's best for your video.
    I already posted a video hours ago, so I don't know what else you want from me. Look, I'm sorry I didn't do the exact thing you wanted, are you gonna be okay?

Seriously, are you just trying to aggravate me or something? The issue in the thread was solved and everything was totally cool, and then you came in here acting like I owe you something. You're being ridiculous.
    Last edited by StevenGuy; 6th Sep 2021 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If I can find better audio somewhere for the concert, I'll swap it out and sync it with the video. But if I'm stuck with that audio, then I'll use Stereo Tool to get some of the dynamics back. I've been testing out the declipper and the multiband eq and it's definitely sounding fuller and more lively.
    Thanks for the heads up on Stereo Tool, that's new to me.
    I have the trial of Izotope rx 8, it also has the capability to give life to low bitrate mp3's, etc
    I've downloaded the Stereo Tool vst2, and I'm playing with it in Audacity
    Last edited by davexnet; 6th Sep 2021 at 23:23.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by StevenGuy View Post
    I already posted a video hours ago, so I don't know what else you want from me.
    Only now I saw it and I apologize. You're using a YouTube video as your source? If not, a well-chosen 10 seconds (steady movement) will be better.
    Look, I'm sorry I didn't do the exact thing you wanted, are you gonna be okay?
    I couldn't care less what you do with it. But if it were my video, I'd want to use the proper filter. In this case FixBlendIVTC isn't the proper filter.

And thanks for the way to advance a YouTube video a frame at a time. Many's the time I wanted to do that to study it without having to download it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I already posted a video hours ago, so I don't know what else you want from me.
    Only now I saw it and I apologize. You're using a YouTube video as your source? If not, a well-chosen 10 seconds (steady movement) will be better.
    Look, I'm sorry I didn't do the exact thing you wanted, are you gonna be okay?
    I couldn't care less what you do with it. But if it were my video, I'd want to use the proper filter. In this case FixBlendIVTC isn't the proper filter.

And thanks for the way to advance a YouTube video a frame at a time. Many's the time I wanted to do that to study it without having to download it.
    I guess there's no great way to say this, but you really ought to turn down the meanness and snark when you're dealing with people out of the blue. Maybe you're just having a bad day, I don't know, but when you're getting overly hostile towards total strangers over trivial bs, consider dialing the intensity down to something actually reasonable for the given situation. I hate to put you on the spot, but this is actually something I wish someone would've told me 30 years ago. It's simply not worth it to be so overly critical of people all the time; you just end up being a miserable buzzkill, which you really don't want to be.
    Quote Quote