VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello johnmeyer, jagabo, poisondeathray and many others!

Since late 2014 you have helped me greatly in getting the AviSynth 8mm film restoration script running. Thank you once again!
    Meanwhile I have restored many 8mm movies using this wonderful AviSynth script made originally by Fred van de Putte and improved by John Meyer.
    However, all of a sudden it does not work anymore and I am getting this message:

Script error: there is no function named "setmtmode" and it refers to Line 106/107 where it says:

106#Remove all setmtmode statements (there are three in this script) if not using multi-threaded (MT) AVISynth
    107setmtmode(5,threads)
    111 setmtmode(2)

Could you please tell me what I should do? Can I simply delete the lines like 107 and 111?
    There must be a third one which I have been unable to locate. Do you know which line it should be?

I would be most grateful if you could help me once again.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make sure you are not using the "import" function in your script. If you are using that, you'll have to also remove SetMTMode from any scripts loaded via the import call.

SetMTMode is only used with older versions of the script. I just looked at one of those, and it does indeed have three instances, not two. I don't know what version you are running if you can only find two.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Thank you very much for your speedy reply!
    I installed AviSynth-Plus on a second computer (Win 10) since I am a bit wary about the warning that AVS+
    partially overwrites the previous version which worked so well. Until now..

Indeed the Plus version causes new errors.
    Couldn't I simply delete the lines like 107 and 111? And the third one which cannot find.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can do what you like, nobody is stopping you. It may/may not solve the problems.
    Might be better to provide some details and try and
    figure out what to the underlying problem is
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, as johnmeyer says, you can safely remove the 'SetMTMode' lines from the script.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Make sure you are not using the "import" function in your script. If you are using that, you'll have to also remove SetMTMode from any scripts loaded via the import call.

SetMTMode is only used with older versions of the script. I just looked at one of those, and it does indeed have three instances, not two. I don't know what version you are running if you can only find two.
    Hello johnmeyer,
    So good to hear from you again!
    The best thing I can do probably is to send you the attached script as used by me. I got it from you in September 2015, I think.
    Perhaps you could let me know in which lines these three instances occur.
    I can simply delete those, right?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You can do what you like, nobody is stopping you. It may/may not solve the problems.
    Might be better to provide some details and try and
    figure out what to the underlying problem is
    Thank you and yes, I am aware of that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yes, as johnmeyer says, you can safely remove the 'SetMTMode' lines from the script.
    Thanks Manono! Another voice from the past..
    I'm trying to find out where in the script that 3rd line is.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There are actually four instances of SetMTMode in that script, although two are already commented out. Just comment out the remaining two and you won't get an error message with the new versions of AVISynth. However, if you want to get the huge speed improvements that multithreading provides when using newer versions of AVISynth (like AVISynth+), then you need to read up on the Prefetch() command. That is how you do multi-threading in the newer versions of AVISynth.
    Quote Quote  
  11. SetMTMode() is not a part of AviSynth+. It's from the older AviSynth 2.6 MT. You can remove them from the script if you're using AviSynth+. AviSynth+ uses prefetch() to enable multithreading and SetFilterMTMode() to set the multithreading mode for each filter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are actually four instances of SetMTMode in that script, although two are already commented out. Just comment out the remaining two and you won't get an error message with the new versions of AVISynth. However, if you want to get the huge speed improvements that multithreading provides when using newer versions of AVISynth (like AVISynth+), then you need to read up on the Prefetch() command. That is how you do multi-threading in the newer versions of AVISynth.
    Thank you John. Probably my knowledge of the English language is lacking, since I am not quite sure of what you mean by "Just comment out the remaining two"
    Can I simply delete lines 107 and 111? Or is there more to it?

I am using VirtualDub 1.10.4 on a Windows 7 machine. I was quite happy with the results until the current problem came up.
    You must have guessed I am just a 'user' with a very limited knowledge of scripting. Therefore I would prefer to keep using 1.10.4.
    Otherwise I may come across many new problems which I cannot solve.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    SetMTMode() is not a part of AviSynth+. It's from the older AviSynth 2.6 MT. You can remove them from the script if you're using AviSynth+. AviSynth+ uses prefetch() to enable multithreading and SetFilterMTMode() to set the multithreading mode for each filter.
    Hello jagabo and thank you.
    As you may have seen from my reply to johnmeyer, I prefer to keep things as they are. I have quite happily worked with the present set up for several years until this
    MTMode-problem came up, out of nowhere. Do you know why it came up so suddenly?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Maybe none of the scripts you ran before used SetMtMode? If you don't want to change the script just make a dummy function called SetMtMode.avsi and put it in AviSynth's plugins folder:

Code:
    function SetMtMode(int "mode", int "threads")
    {
    }
    Quote Quote  
  15. "Comment out" means adding the comment symbol:

#

at the beginning of a line. This is a common programming technique which lets you keep the code, and keep it in its original location, should you ever need it again. Once you put the pound sign at the beginning of a line, anything after that symbol is treated like a comment and is not executed.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Comment out" means adding the comment symbol:

#

at the beginning of a line. This is a common programming technique which lets you keep the code, and keep it in its original location, should you ever need it again. Once you put the pound sign at the beginning of a line, anything after that symbol is treated like a comment and is not executed.
    Thank you very much johnmeyer! That did it. You made an old man very happy!
    By the pound sign you mean this one: £ ? That is good to know. Many thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Maybe none of the scripts you ran before used SetMtMode? If you don't want to change the script just make a dummy function called SetMtMode.avsi and put it in AviSynth's plugins folder:

Code:
    function SetMtMode(int "mode", int "threads")
    {
    }
    Thank you jagabo. I'm sorry, no, I never used any other script than the one I once got from johnmeyer. Therefore I am still puzzled about the sudden appearance of this error. Since I am an absolute amateur I am a bit wary of changing anything in the script. E.g. I don't even know where to find the Avisynth's Plugin folder...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    By the pound sign you mean this one: £ ? That is good to know. Many thanks again.
    No, the pound sign is what I already gave you in my last post:

#

It is NOT the currency symbol for the British pound.

You seem to be making this more complicated than it needs to be.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry johnmeyer, I did not know this about #. Over here this is called a number sign, so #3 means number 3.
    In this country a 'pound sign' means indeed the British pound sign.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Pound sign (a.k.a. Number Sign, Hash) -- from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

From that article is this paragraph which describes why you didn't understand me:
    Pound sign or pound are the most common names used in the United States, where the '#' key on a phone is commonly referred to as the pound key or simply pound. Dialing instructions to an extension such as #77, for example, can be read as "pound seven seven".[26] This name is rarely used outside the United States, where the term pound sign is understood to mean the currency symbol £.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Good find. Another case of "two countries separated by a common language".
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Good find. Another case of "two countries separated by a common language".
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pound sign (a.k.a. Number Sign, Hash) -- from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

From that article is this paragraph which describes why you didn't understand me:
    Pound sign or pound are the most common names used in the United States, where the '#' key on a phone is commonly referred to as the pound key or simply pound. Dialing instructions to an extension such as #77, for example, can be read as "pound seven seven".[26] This name is rarely used outside the United States, where the term pound sign is understood to mean the currency symbol £.
    Thank you for a most interesting article! I never knew the # sign was in fact 'family' of the lb, which presented so many troubles in the re-calculation sums we had to do in school. As you probably know we have had the metric system, ever since the French (Napoleon) occupied our country, early 19th century.
    Greetings from the old world!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    As you probably know we have had the metric system, ever since the French (Napoleon) occupied our country, early 19th century.
    What is "metric?"
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wikipedia is the root of all knowledge.. : https://usma.org/origin-of-the-metric-system#
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry folks, to bother you again.
    I am getting this message:

[Attachment 60647 - Click to enlarge]

Until an hour ago the AviSynth-script worked perfectly.
    But all of a sudden, even when repeating exactly the same thing I am getting this message.
    Could you please help me once again?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Error code 2 means ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND (thus the filename and or path is not correct). Check the filename and path.
    source: Avisynth FAQ
    -> Double check the specified path, if it's 100% correct restart explorer.exe if that doesn't help restart your system.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much Selur, re-starting the system did it!
    Quote Quote