VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The Resize8 function linked to below is an updated version of Resize8 1.2 2015.02.23 by mawen1250.

The initial changes compared to the original Resize8 are listed in the next post.

Resize8 2024-01-18.zip

Changes for Resize8 2023-02-03

A better work-around for the SplineResize plugin not being able to resize Y8. The previous work-around wasn't effective and SplineResize still produced an access violation error message (at least on my PC).

-----------------------------

The following applies to YUV formats with subsampled chroma. There's more information in the help file.

cplaceD argument added (chroma placement destination/output).
    The chroma location can now be changed, for example:

Resize8(1280,720, cplace="center", cplaceD="left")

Added support for "top_left" chroma placement.

Resize8 can now read and write the _ChromaLocation frame property.
    Specifying a chroma placement takes precedence, but if cplace is not used the _ChromaLocation frame property will be used instead, assuming it exists.

When no value is specified for cplace and there's no _ChromaLocation frame property, the default chroma placement is "left" (the same as "mpeg2" or "0").

Show=true also displays chroma placement information.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 18th Jan 2024 at 07:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Changes compared to the original Resize8.
    The default output should be exactly the same as the original.

--- There's a help file of sorts.

--- All Avisynth+ color spaces and bitdepths are supported.

--- Any resizer with the same arguments for cropping as the native Avisynth resizers can be used.

--- The Jinc, ResampleMT and SplineResize plugins are added as "known" resizers.
    The SplineResize plugin kernels are limited to 8 bit video, and don't support all color spaces.
    For SplineResize the individual planes are converted to YV12 for resizing, so all Avisynth 2.6
    colorspaces are supported that way.

--- The Resize8_Separate() function has been removed, but it's functionality is retained via
    an additional Resize8 argument "separate", so Resize8(separate=true) can be used instead.

--- New arguments, "RStr" and "RStr_c", for specifying named arguments as strings. They can be used
    instead of the a1 and a2 arguments for "known" resizers.
    For example:
    Resize8(1280,720, kernel="Bicubic", RStr="b=0.5,c=0.5")
    Resize8(1280,720, kernel="Spline36ResizeMT", RStr="prefetch=4, threads=2")

--- New "show" argument
    show=true bypasses the resizing stage and opens a blank clip to display the full resizing strings
    as subtitles, as well as some other basic info. It might be useful if there's problems using the
    "RStr" arguments, or just to confirm the function is behaving as expected.

--- Resize8 will attempt to use the the ResampleMT plugin for it's default resizing, but if it's not
    loaded it will use the native Avisynth resizers instead.

--- When specifying a luma resizer with the kernel argument, the same kernel is now
    automatically used for chroma, unless a different chroma resizer is specified with kernel_c.
    Likewise, the "_c" arguments now default to the same values as their non "_c" counterparts,
    but only when the same kernel is used for both luma and chroma (when kernel = kernel_c).

--- Adaptive ringing repair now works when downscaling, not just upscaling, but it's disabled
    for downscaling by default. It's also disabled for all "unknown" resizers by default.

--- For RGBA, the luma kernel is applied to the R-G-B-A planes, except when a chroma kernel is specified
    or the default kernels are used, in which case the chroma kernel is used for the alpha plane.
    For YUVA, the luma kernel is applied to the Y-U-V-A planes, except when a chroma kernel is specified
    or the default kernels are used, in which case the chroma kernel is used for the U-V planes.

--- The "alpha" argument behaves a little differently.
    If the source has no alpha plane and alpha=true, one will be added to the output when possible.
    The defaults for alpha are true when an alpha plane exists, and false when it doesn't.

--- Added some simple, one line functions to the end of the Resize8 script. They can easily be modified
    to change the default resizing kernels and set default resizer strings.

--- There's a help file of sorts.

--- All Avisynth+ color spaces and bitdepths are supported.

--- Any resizer with the same arguments for cropping as the native Avisynth resizers can be used.

--- The Jinc, ResampleMT and SplineResize plugins are added as "known" resizers.
    The SplineResize plugin kernels are limited to 8 bit video, and don't support all color spaces.
    For SplineResize the individual planes are converted to YV12 for resizing, so all Avisynth 2.6
    colorspaces are supported that way.

--- The Resize8_Separate() function has been removed, but it's functionality is retained via
    an additional Resize8 argument "separate", so Resize8(separate=true) can be used instead.

--- New arguments, "RStr" and "RStr_c", for specifying named arguments as strings. They can be used
    instead of the a1 and a2 arguments for "known" resizers.
    For example:
    Resize8(1280,720, kernel="Bicubic", RStr="b=0.5,c=0.5")
    Resize8(1280,720, kernel="Spline36ResizeMT", RStr="prefetch=4, threads=2")

--- New "show" argument
    show=true bypasses the resizing stage and opens a blank clip to display the full resizing strings
    as subtitles, as well as some other basic info. It might be useful if there's problems using the
    "RStr" arguments, or just to confirm the function is behaving as expected.

--- Resize8 will attempt to use the the ResampleMT plugin for it's default resizing, but if it's not
    loaded it will use the native Avisynth resizers instead.

--- When specifying a luma resizer with the kernel argument, the same kernel is now
    automatically used for chroma, unless a different chroma resizer is specified with kernel_c.
    Likewise, the "_c" arguments now default to the same values as their non "_c" counterparts,
    but only when the same kernel is used for both luma and chroma (when kernel = kernel_c).

--- Adaptive ringing repair now works when downscaling, not just upscaling, but it's disabled
    for downscaling by default. It's also disabled for all "unknown" resizers by default.

--- For RGBA, the luma kernel is applied to the R-G-B-A planes, except when a chroma kernel is specified
    or the default kernels are used, in which case the chroma kernel is used for the alpha plane.
    For YUVA, the luma kernel is applied to the Y-U-V-A planes, except when a chroma kernel is specified
    or the default kernels are used, in which case the chroma kernel is used for the U-V planes.

--- The "alpha" argument behaves a little differently.
    If the source has no alpha plane and alpha=true, one will be added to the output when possible.
    The defaults for alpha are true when an alpha plane exists, and false when it doesn't.

--- Added some simple, one line functions to the end of the Resize8 script. They can easily be modified
    to change the default resizing kernels and set default resizer strings.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 18th Jan 2024 at 07:26.
    Quote Quote  
  3. New version dated 2021-12-30 in the opening post.
    Quote Quote  
  4. New version dated 2022-09-23 in the opening post with a minor bug fix.

An alpha plane wasn't always being added when it should have been.
    Quote Quote  
  5. New version dated 2023-02-03 in the opening post. See the opening post for details.
    Quote Quote  
  6. New version dated 2023-02-09 in the opening post. See the changelog (just some minor tweaks).
    Quote Quote  
  7. New version dated 2024-01-18 in the opening post. See the "changes" text file in the zip file for details.
    Quote Quote  
  8. # ResampleMT (multithreaded). https://github.com/jpsdr/ResampleMT
    # JincResize (multithreaded). http://avisynth.nl/index.php/JincResize
    # SplineResize (limited to 8 bit video, not multithreaded).
    # http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Resizers
    #
    Got a link to a 64bit version of SplineResize ?

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    # SplineResize (limited to 8 bit video, not multithreaded).
    # http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Resizers
    #

FYI - FMTC has Spline - where taps * 2 is number of sample points if you wanted custom natural cubic splines

FMTC is available for x64, not limited to 8bit video, multithreaded, and dualsynth capable
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Selur View Post

Cu Selur
    I don't think a 64 bit version has ever existed. I hadn't thought about that for a while because the last time I used the SplineResize plugin I was still running 32 bit Avisynth. I think I'll remove it for the next version of Resize8, because even for 8 bit video it requires a workaround. The individual planes are extracted as Y for resizing by the function, but the SplineResize plugin can't resize Y8.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

FYI - FMTC has Spline - where taps * 2 is number of sample points if you wanted custom natural cubic splines

FMTC is available for x64, not limited to 8bit video, multithreaded, and dualsynth capable
    FMTConv also uses different names for the cropping arguments compared to the native Avisynth resizsers, and the function name is always fmtc_resample, so it won't work with Resize8 directly unless I add special FMTConv syntax and a way to specify it.
    FMTConv can be used with CropResize by prefixing the resizer name with "F_", for example kernel="F_Spline36", so I could probably add the same for Resize8, but there's always the option of using a wrapper function. The main objective of Resize8 is to correct the chroma shift caused by Resizers that assume "center" though, and that's not the case for FMTConv or AVSResize. Although thinking about it, I've become quite attached to ringing repair when upscaling, and I don't think FMTConv or AVSResize include ringing repair themselves.

I might have to update Resize8 again in the near future as I found a problem when Resize8 is used as the resizer for CropResize, the source is anamorphic YUV420, the height is mod2, and when an output height isn't specified as an argument for CropResize.
    When those planets line up, there's a CombinePlanes error due to the source and target plane dimensions being different. I'm quite sure that's impossible, but I tested the previous version of Resize8 and it's outputting the same error. The cause is still a mystery though....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 28th Jan 2024 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't think a 64 bit version has ever existed.
    okay.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  12. I eventually discovered the Resize8 function wasn't the cause of the error I mentioned in my previous post, but rather it's a ResampleMT bug. Of course that was the last place I looked, especially as the bug seems quite resolution/cropping specific, but I've reported it in the "JPSDR plugins pack" thread. It's an odd one...
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1996435#post1996435

If the ResampleMT plugin (or the plugins pack) is loaded, Resize8 will use GuassResizeMT to resize the clip used for ringing repair, so if an error along the lines of "the clips are different sizes" pops up, the only solution at the moment is to disable ringing repair or prevent the ResampleMT plugin (or the plugins pack) from loading so Resize8 will use GuassResize instead. I've used Resize8 with ResampleMT numerous times though and this is the first problem I've found, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue before the bug is fixed.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!