VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

currently, Im working in transfer of Umatic tapes, my tapes are Sony, high band, and Pal. Im using VO 9600p, BNC to JVC Blue-ray machine to record them, then to DVD with the highest quality that machine permits. I noticed vertical lines in the videos,I uploaded a picture, you can see it in the edge of the stage, and sofa, why these occur? any solution?

[Attachment 60512 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those are dot crawl artifacts -- incomplete separation of the chroma carrier from the luma of a composite signal. Downscale the video to half D1 then back to the size you need.

[Attachment 60513 - Click to enlarge]

Or get a composite to s-video converter with a 3d comb filter. Or get a player with a s-video output.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    S-Video was not available at the time of u-matic, There are work arounds of converting the DUB connector signal into S-Video but there are caveats, See why here:
    https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/1663-vtr-project-umatic-dub-conversion.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. So can I use BNC to S-Video? That will solve the issue? Or dual BNC to S Video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. BNC is a connector, in this case carrying composite. A passive adapter to 4-pin mini-DIN ("S-video" connector) won't change the signal to S-Video. Active electronics are required to convert between the two.

One path you might pursue is seeking out a DVD recorder whose built-in comb filter is known to interact well with U-matic, but you'd have to find people/posts with past experience. Jagabo's suggestion of 3D comb filter may not help, because any 3D comb filter drops to 2D for noisy video, or creates its own artifacts.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. but what about 2 BNC to 1 S video ? it will take 4 signal from 2 BNC (2 signal for each)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/515Hki8Bp1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  7. That deck doesn't have s-video compatible BNC outputs. It apparently has a s-video luma compatible output on the DUP connector (according to the diyaudio link; I didn't see anything labeld as sucn in the pictures I saw) but the chroma output there is not compatible -- it's on the wrong carrier frequency). It would have to be converted with an active circuit. If you can find the internal circiut where the luma and chroma are combined together into composite you may be able to tap into the signals there (again, as suggested in the diyaudio link). But that will involve soldering wires onto the PCB or chips.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Uma View Post
    but what about 2 BNC to 1 S video ? it will take 4 signal from 2 BNC (2 signal for each)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/515Hki8Bp1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    BNC is just a physical connector, The cable in the amazon link is for Y-BNC and C-BNC to DIN S-Video, Your deck BNC's are composite not Y, Not C. Is it sinking in now?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Those are dot crawl artifacts -- incomplete separation of the chroma carrier from the luma of a composite signal. Downscale the video to half D1 then back to the size you need.

Or get a composite to s-video converter with a 3d comb filter. Or get a player with a s-video output.
    how did you remove those dots in your attachment ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Uma View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Those are dot crawl artifacts -- incomplete separation of the chroma carrier from the luma of a composite signal. Downscale the video to half D1 then back to the size you need.

how did you remove those dots in your attachment ?
    I downscaled the width of the frame to ~440x904, then upscaled back to the original width.
    Quote Quote