VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum so i dont know where to post exactly. Thanks for your time beforehand.

I been using iskysoft dvd creator to create dvds of videos i record through my camera. With menus e.t.c

I been using this software because it accepts any files, converts them and burns them.

My dvd rw is an LG one. the disks i use are verbatim dvd+rw 16x or sony dvd+rw 16x

i burned a lot of projects before i test them on the verbatim disk with default speed. big mistake... all of them skip frames or even skip big parts from the movie or even take me back to the menu. so before i did a research i thought to lower the speed and test a sony disk. the project i created with 8x speed on the sony disk plays on the ps4 perfectly! but an other project i burnt on the verbatim with 8x speed plays better than before but still skips frames every now and then.

i got many kinds of software but i am too tired of testing. i was thinking to reduce the write speed more when copying with verbatim disks to 4x. i also got imgburn software, wondershare uniconverted (which i dont like that much cos it takes ages to convert to vob)

i tested the vob iskysoft creates (because i keep backup) and theu play perfectly. i dont think its a burner issue cos on the sony disk i didnt have a problem.

what you recommend me to do to fix the frame rate problem and have the best experience possible.

thanks for your time!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think your DVD hardware is the problem, you do have to remember that garbage in equals garbage out. I would try AVStoDVD the gold standard in freeware authoring software. A fast pc doesn't hurt either, older hardware can cause issues. You could post a sample of what your converting here for us to diagnose.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. How old is the LG dvd burner drive? Is it built into your PC/laptop or is it a small external USB portable drive? I've had good results from most LG portables, but some models have been known for burning errors.

As sum_guy suggested, try another known-good dvd creation software like AVStoDVD. There are many many dvd authoring apps out there, but a lot of them create funky dvd specs. AVStoDVD is excellent, esp if you take the option to have it use the superb imgBurn app to do the disc burning. For years now, ImgBurn has been the best possible burning utility for maximum success. It almost always chooses the best burning speed and strategy for each blank disc automatically (no need to manually slow it down).

Check exactly what version of Verbatim blanks you're having problems with. I've never seen 16x "RW" erasable blanks, RW is usually rated 4x: are you sure these aren't ordinary DVD-R or DVD+R use-once blanks? If these truly are re-usable +RW blanks, they could be part of your problems. The erasable +RW disc type wasn't really intended to be authored with menus, etc like an ordinary DVD: its more optimized for use in standalone dvd recorders or for use as data discs in a PC. If you author dvds with menu and burn to +RW, glitches can occur with some drives and players: the -RW (minus RW) blanks are preferable for making erasable dvds with software like yours or AVStoDVD. For burning non-erasable authored menu dvds you can choose either -R or +R, no difference between those.

If your Verbatim blanks are actually regular -R or +R (with no W), check the packaging to see if they have the AZO trademark (this is usually on the plastic wrap, if you trashed that it may be hard to identify the discs). Verbatim offers two grades of blank 16x -R/+R: premium quality discs with their own AZO chemistry, and mass-market generic discs (not made with Verbatim chemistry) that Verbatim packages under their name. Over the last few years, the generic Verbatims have become most common in stores and at websites. The generic non-AZO Verbatims tend to have more burning problems than the true AZO Verbatim blanks. All other brands including Sony are now selling generic blanks made by just two or three factories, the burning quality can vary from package to package depending on where the discs actually came from. The better results you're getting from the Sony blanks is perhaps due to that package coming from a different factory/mfr than your Verbatims.
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by orsetto; 1st Sep 2021 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Always use slowest speed. Greater compatibility with older players.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello all and thanks for you replied

My LG dvd burner is 4 years old and it seems that its not a burner issued.

i told you before that i used verbatim and Sony Disks.

Yesterday i made a burn doing this: created an iso with iskysoft dvd creator and burnt it with imgburn on a TDK 16x +R disk with 2.4x speed.
    Did the same thing exactly using a verbatim 16x +R disk.

i bought 50 verbatims maybe 6 months ago.

It seems the verbatims are bad or my ps4 doesnt like them. every dvd i burnt with verbatim whatever speed i burn them either they lose frames or take me back to the start,

I had a perfect burn with the TDK like i did with the sony Disk.

Will continue burning to make sure that its a verbatim disk problem.

Btw i read that they tolerate -5 to 50 degrees celcius. this summer in Greece we had 45 - 46 degrees celcius and i had them stored in a locker. maybe they went bad because of that.

iskysoft is a grate tool i been using and it doesnt give me any problems. i know about the software you tell me and i may use it in the future.

Thanks for your time again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. i dont think it has the AZO logo on... so i should check for the AZO logo when buying dvds specialy verbatim?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What's the exact model of your LG burner?
    I would like to know so that I can find out the platform/chip it is based on (that says a lot about how capable a burner is).
    You can find out by right clicking on the LG burner in the device manager (on Windows) and selecting properties.

Originally Posted by kerveros2021 View Post
    i dont think it has the AZO logo on... so i should check for the AZO logo when buying dvds specialy verbatim?
    Yes, absolutely. And if it says something like "Life Series" don't buy.
    Also, with AZO Verbatims, if it says made in Taiwan they are made by CMC Magnetics and those are some of the best DVD+Rs you can get (never seen Taiwanese DVD-Rs), much better than the Made in India or China ones (in my experience).
    Last edited by Skiller; 2nd Sep 2021 at 06:58.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i am at work atm but if i remeber correctly cos i checked it recently its a LG HG24NSD1
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you live in an area of high temperature and humidity, it is a very bad idea to store blank (or recorded) dvds in a locker or some other place that does not have climate control. The chemistry of recordable dvds is fragile and easily corrupted by hot weather if the heat is concentrated in an airless space like a locker or storage unit over a period of time. Keep important discs in a place where air circulates, preferably an air conditioned room during summer heatwaves.

Software that has worked perfectly in the past can easily become a problem at any time. In recent years, forced Windows updates from Microsoft have caused all sorts of sneaky issues with formerly stable programs. So don't assume iskysoft is not part of the problem just because only this one pak of Verbatim discs is giving you defects: sure, the Verbatims maybe were stored poorly in a warehouse before you got them, or they're a bad batch, or they went bad in your locker. But it is also possible iskysoft has become funky from a hard drive glitch or stray Windows update.

Yesterday i made a burn doing this: created an iso with iskysoft dvd creator
    In my experience with dvd authoring tools, it is preferable to have the tool create the two standard dvd format folders (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS), then have ImgBurn burn those directly to a blank disc. If you let an authoring tool like iskysoft create an ISO disc image instead, you increase chances of a burn issue (because iskysoft is formatting much of the disc structure, limiting ImgBurn from optimizing). If you burn the two _TS folders instead of an ISO image, ImgBurn structures the disc more reliably (setting all the specs on the blank dvd for maximum dvd player compatibility).

Re burn speed: in 2021, it should never be necessary for you to manually slow down burning of a blank dvd, and certainly not down to 2.4x from 16x. Any good burner less than six years old using good modern dedicated burning tools like ImgBurn can be relied on to automatically choose the optimum burning speed for each blank disc (you will see ImgBurn do this in its info display). Today's 16x blanks assume a minimum 8x burn speed, they're optimized for fast burning and don't usually burn well below 6x. I'm shocked you're only getting good burns at 2.4x, which is an odd speed typically used only for erasable RW blanks these days. If you can only get good burns by manually slowing down to 2.4x, something is seriously wrong with either your burner, the blanks or your PS4 dvd laser.

The PS4 is not known for being finicky: it is one of the most tolerant video disc players available unless it develops a hardware defect. So I'd suspect an issue with your burner or the Verbatim blanks. Some burners just "don't like" certain blanks: if your LG burns Sony and TDK at normal speeds (6x-12x), but only makes you slow down to 2.4x for Verbatim, then don't buy Verbatim anymore. As fewer and fewer people are burning discs today, blank mfrs are losing money and reducing compatibility. The quality of blanks has become very erratic, even from the same week from the same factory. The giant CMC company in China makes most TDK and Verbatim blanks nowadays, yet you had no problem with TDK and big problem with Verbatim. So make a habit of always checking each dvd for chapter jump and speed search right away: if many from the same package fail, return that package and try another.
    Last edited by orsetto; 2nd Sep 2021 at 17:12.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If I may make a suggestion, most software is pretty good stuff, however, the software is only the soft side of things. What I have observed many times of making a coaster is that it was not my software, but it was a hardware setting that needed tweaking. Remember, your computer is probably faster than the software to keep up with the hardware (the burner). During the burning software, there's an option to set the burn speed. From the disc you are going to burn, take note of the max speed of burn that the disc and safely burn (in other words, take note of what the manufacture recommends to get the burn speed. Don't, I REPEAT, don't set the damn thing to "auto". Guarantee a burn that you'll regret.

For example, I use Verbatim brand to do my bidding on burns. I use just about every kind of format there is, and rarely do I make coasters anymore. One fact that I like for you to notice, on the option of changed the burn speed, select one knoch below that what the manufacture recommends. So, for an example, I have a burner that can burn up to x16 for CDs and for burning blu's I set the speed to x6. Why? Because the media manufacture has set the recommendations that is at a safe zone for burning your stuff. If your burning says that it is built to burn at x20, then never, ever use that speed, always find the sweet spot in burning with your favorite media. You'll be happy with the results if you tweak your stuff to burn.

BTW, the software uses a temp folder while it is burning stuff. Recommend creating a RAM drive and use that RAM drive as the temp folder. You'll see that the burn will go smoothly and fluently. Now that I have bent your ear long enough, get busy and burn your butt off. A good slow burn is always better than a push the damn wall over burn.

I have spoken!
    Quote Quote