VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I last posted to this forum 14 years ago. Crazy.

I'm using a Hauppauge HVR-1255 connected to a VCR to digitize old tapes. It's a simple VCR, composite output. I'm hoping someone can shed light on some of the issues I've had.
    A few years ago I digitized a number of tapes and only recently discovered some digital copies have this weird audio problem where the audio would, at some random time, go from perfect sync, to slowing way down for a minute or more, then speed way up before slowly coming back to sync. This was visible on the Virtualdub timing graph yellow trace. I seem to have *maybe* fixed this with Virtualdub Capture Timing options (attached). Note this occurred with "Sync audio to video by resampling...." selected, even though it's not in the screenshot.

Now, the issue is the audio is slightly off. Worse, depending on "Resync mode" the error compounds as the video goes on. I might be able to correct with a 100ms delay towards the beginning, but then an hour into the video, it's 300ms off. That's more difficult to deal with than a simple across-the-board shift.

I have both the audio and video going into the capture card.

What's odd is some tapes I originally digitized are perfect. In one example, all 2 hours, which was professionally produced. In another example, all 6 hours is perfect, and that one was someone pressing record on the camcorder and just letting it run the entire time. Audio is right on, and never deviates. Is there any explanation for this? Is there something going on with a disruption in the video sync? It almost seems like tapes where there's discontinuities (video was roughly pieced together or recording was frequently stopped/started) are more prone to this.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	timing.png
Views:	12
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	60504  

Last edited by jjmdtw; 30th Aug 2021 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote